do you hear more fret buzz using modelers?

I never experienced more fret buzz from AxeFx compared to an amp
so I also guess it has to be speakers,
studio monitors do have higher upper range and that's where buzz is mostly placed.

But I like buzz (at least a normal portion) so I don't care too much! :D

I just received

1) New Axe
2) New Verve 12ma

Patches right across the board have a buzz that sounds like fret buzz.

I am going to return the Verve and get a new one.

I got to tell you --- I cannot deal with any kind of fret buzz. My guitars have pro setups.

I never had this issue with my old Axe or Verve.

when I get the new Verve if I still have issues then something has to be up with the Axe --- because even patches (like the roca 9.03 set) have that annoying fret buzz in them.

This is with EVERY guitar I own.

Funny thing is --- it sounds Ok sometimes --- then it gets buzzy ---- sometimes I feel like I am playing a sitar :evil:

so this leads me to believe either something is wrong with the Axe unit or the Verve.

guitarmike said:
I have noticed the same thing and my guitars are set up just fine. I do not know exactly why, I assume its simply a matter of too much hi freq. I dial some of the hi's - usually a bandwidth - and it seems to take care of the matter. Perhaps the frfr in your ear is the culprit. Personally, I just run into a guitar speaker and get the results I need. I have done some frfr with my studio spkrs but find I end up tinkering a lot to get things right. It can be done, just not my cup of tea...at this time.

if there is buzz coming through --- and it is not your guitar something else is up.

I have owned the Axe on and off (ongoing love/hate relationship) for the last two years. I finally make the commitment to go 100% Axe and I get confronted with this nonsense.

I have never --- never had this happen to me before.

I received my new Axe last thursday and new Verve 12ma on Friday. Verve is going back this week. They are sending me a new one.

I will wait until I get the new Verve. If the problem persists, then I will call FAS for a replacement Axe unit.

Funny thing is patches sounds perfect through headphones -- so it is either the XLR output on the Axe that is faulty (or worse) or the Verve speaker.

OK attached is a copy of the patch and a link to a recording I made with my iphone (buzz is more pronounced in person).

I get the same "fret' type buzz with ALL of my guitars.

It is annoying as hell -- especially if you are a typically clean player.

Link to sound example

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8976188

Attachments

• Fender Patch.zip
    614 bytes · Views: 3
It's hard for me to tell what I'm supposed to be hearing in your recording as the noise of issue versus what might be mp3 artifacts. Is the noise the somewhat metallic buzz that sounds worse than normal fret buzz?

- John

JKos said:
It's hard for me to tell what I'm supposed to be hearing in your recording as the noise of issue versus what might be mp3 artifacts. Is the noise the somewhat metallic buzz that sounds worse than normal fret buzz?

- John

Sounds just like fret buzz -- best way to describe it (G and B strings). I would not categorize as "fizz" or any type of metallic tinge.

they only way I can categorize it is as extremely annoying.

funny thing --- it goes away and comes back... and it is the same across all patches and ALL of my guitars.

I will start the axe cold -- and Verve cold --- and it sounds fine.

Leave them on for a while (axe/verve warm up) and the buzz starts (same patch same vol settings) etc.

Settings
Verve -- everything at noon - except for vol which I have it set around 11
Axe - Input around 1 PM Output at Noon

Another version of the patch

difference is I set both the Master and Drives higher.

this time no buzz

I guess with a larger Speaker maybe you need to pump it harder or else the Axe/Verve just fizzles out?

Maybe its too big for quiet/home playing/practicing?

still with this patch -- if i knock the vol back (set the verve to 25%) or knock the vol back on the Axe (output 1) the buzz comes back (and it is always with notes on the G and B strings)

Attachments

• fender patch 2.zip
    621 bytes · Views: 6
Testing the verve with an Ipod --- to almost zero vol and it sounds amazing.

so it is not the Verve. Issue has to be with the Fractal

double confirmation

I just ran it this way

Output 2 -> DI BOX -> Verve

and the cleans sound spectacular - (no fret like buzz -- from loud to pin drop vol)

So unfortunately it seems like something is wrong with my new Ultra. I suspected as much since the fret buzz problem would typically start after the unit warmed up.

Nothing to worry about on my end -- the guys at FAS are great --- so I am sure I will have a new one in the mail as soon as I talk with them

LVC said:
OK attached is a copy of the patch and a link to a recording I made with my iphone (buzz is more pronounced in person).

Link to sound example

That's exactly what I'm hearing when I play (I have the same set up as you). Can't say it is a problem when I play my Les Paul through my plexi patch but my strat gets that metalic buz through my vox patches. What I would say is that I've heard the same sound through my guitar tech's amp although he could not hear it.

I'm going to try playing with my PEQ's as per Jay's suggestion but I'd really like to hear his opinion on the recording you have made.

Thanks for sharing LVC, I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it.

LVC said:

Link to sound example

That's the same sound I'm hearing when I play my strat. Haven't tried Jay's PEQ suggestion yet (will do later) but I'd really like Jay's opinion on the recording you have made LVC - thanks for sharing.

Well I will be getting a new Fractal in a few days.

That buzz should not be there and it was not there with my previous Ultra (also running 9.03). also the buzz only comes on after the unit warms up.

Nothing in my setup changed -- nothing... except a new machine (I eliminated the Verve as a culprit)

1) I am not a metal player -- I do not play or like high gain tones

2) I play clean 95% of the time (which means when I suck I suck -- I can't hide my bad playing behind high gain distortion :lol: )

I know the Axe can satisfy my clean needs in spades (without the need of any special EQ tricks etc) and that is why I sold my last tube amp :cry: . I am now officially 100% tubeless :mrgreen:

So hopefully my experience was nothing more than a a defective part that got into the unit (hey it happens - in manufacturing there is no such thing as a 100% batting average). Great thing is we are dealing with a company that stands behind their product and will work with you to make things right.

Regarding you having a buzz --- I would check to see if you get the same buzz out of output 2 --- I did not. Also is the buzz there when the unit is cold (mine was OK) and does the buzz come on after the unit warms up (mine did - per audio clip)

Nic said:
LVC said:

Link to sound example

That's the same sound I'm hearing when I play my strat. Haven't tried Jay's PEQ suggestion yet (will do later) but I'd really like Jay's opinion on the recording you have made LVC - thanks for sharing.

Just tried output 2 and the buzz has gone. I'm confused now. I had convinced myself that it was my ears :?

Like I said, I am getting a replacement unit. Hopefully in my case the buzz is nothing more than a bad XLR jack.

Regarding the use of "filters" to get non-existent fret buzz out --- to me this is completely unacceptable.

so here I am with

1) $2,000 top of the line digital platform
2) $1,000 FRFR speaker
3) top of the line custom built guitar

If I don't run an EQ -- eradicating "x" frequency my guitar will sound like a cheap POS guitar instead of of my custom built dream guitar....

Sorry but I do not buy it and this is not an acceptable solution to me.

if there is a 9.03 software glitch that causes the frequency anomaly -- then it should be addressed and fixed.

-----

but in the end ---- why do you get buzz in one output and not in the other? There has to be something going on that is either mechanical or software related with my unit ---- filtering out the nasty buzz only masks the symptoms and does not address or treat the underlying condition causing the problem.

Nic said:
Just tried output 2 and the buzz has gone. I'm confused now. I had convinced myself that it was my ears :?

Now here is the kicker -- just got home and I figured let me fire her up before I pack her up for shipping back to fractal in the morning and guess what ... she sounds great ...no buzz.

will wait a while before I shut her down and see how long it takes for the buzz to come back (maybe the gremlins packed up and decided to leave --- :lol: )

LVC said:
Now here is the kicker -- just got home and I figured let me fire her up before I pack her up for shipping back to fractal in the morning and guess what ... she sounds great ...no buzz.

will wait a while before I shut her down and see how long it takes for the buzz to come back (maybe the gremlins packed up and decided to leave --- :lol: )

well I got excited for nothing ---- She is buzzing like before :evil:

Out the door she goes!

LVC said:
LVC said:

Out the door she goes!

What???
Man, that must have been fruuutraaating!!!
2 units and same "buzz' issue, unbelievable...
I don't want to be smart or anything but could it be your XLR cable?

Don't think it's the cable. I have the same set up and same problem. Used the same xlr to go from output 2 with an adaptor on it and the buzz disapeared. In fact the sound was so good, I had the bitter/sweet feeling of realising that I have not been getting 100% out of my Ultra for 12 months. Oh yes, and the warranty has expired! :( Not sure what to do now...

Muris_Varajic said:
LVC said:
LVC said:

Out the door she goes!

What???
Man, that must have been fruuutraaating!!!
2 units and same "buzz' issue, unbelievable...
I don't want to be smart or anything but could it be your XLR cable?

Rule # 1 -- change cables
Rule # 2 -- change cables again
Rule #3 (applies only to anal retentive folks like me) -- change cables again

did all that -- I even went out and purchased a new cable

The fact that it starts off sounding perfect through output 1 and then after it warms up it starts to buzz leads me to believe there might be something wrong with the XLR Jack or the fan.

Unit ships this morning back to Fractal --- will report back when the new unit arrives.

Got my replacement unit.

So far so good --- unit sounds great!

and no buzz!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably a bad solder joint. When the unit heats up the resistance will increase. Rare, but it happens, especially with the new lead-free solders.

Back
Top Bottom