Do You Hear a Difference

Do You Hear a Difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Listening on my crappy AKG K44 headset I can definitely here a difference. The highs come through better on the second one and the details are a bit sharper. The first one sounds more compressed (meaning reduced dynamic range). The differences are small and I prefer the second one (but probably couldn't tell the difference in a busy mix). On the second clip it was the other way around.

Last edited:
negligible difference, first clip, second riff had a slight heavier bottom end. Reversed clip, first riff was a tad rounder to my ears.

They're extremely similar. In a mix, I doubt I would hear any difference at all. I think the difference is somewhere in the high end frequencies. Also the real amp sounds slightly more compressed.

Ok scratch that... I lost track of whether I was listening to the reversed comp, or the regular one, and ended up guessing wrong the second time.

Point of order. Cliff are you saying that in each clip it's 2 recorded sections amp and Axe II, but reversed order on the 2nd? The responses' have me confused.

Either way, I like the 2nd version on the 1st clip (something *very slightly* different and less muffled on the mids on that one.) Ditto 1st section on the 2nd clip.

R

Point of order. Cliff are you saying that in each clip it's 2 recorded sections amp and Axe II, but reversed order on the 2nd? The responses' have me confused.

Either way, I like the 2nd version on the 1st clip (something *very slightly* different and less muffled on the mids on that one.) Ditto 1st section on the 2nd clip.

R

The first clip is Axe then amp. The second clip is amp then axe. Or maybe it's the other way 'round ;)

The second is less muffled or has a higher response on the 2,5 kHz. You can really hear the difference listening on smaller speaker.

I only hear a tiny difference, as though the second half was a 0.5 dB louder than the first half, at least in the mid and low. Neither one sounded better than the other.
I'm not even sure if i should vote that i hear a difference because i really had to concentrate to hear any difference at all, and i have no idea which is which.

In the first clip comparison the second part of the clip has a shave more compression and a shave more bottom. It's ever so slight but more noticeable in the bottom end than the compression.

Yes, there's a difference. Referring to the first MP3 example (Not the "parts reversed" one) The first half sounds brighter. second half sounds more "vintage".

I constantly jumped back and forth between corresponding sections of each clip a few dozen times. I can fool myself into thinking that one sounds different by looking at my Triaxis during one, and looking at my Axe during the other. If I then reverse which unit I look at, my perception of the tone reverses as well. I can hear no difference that I can positively identify as anything other than bias. In a blind test, they are the same to me. These results agree with my own comparisons between my Axe and my Triaxis.

Oh god, please do not start another evolution round of improving amp modelling again...
99.9% of people will not be able to tell the difference in the current state of the amp modelling algorithms. And I don't care about that 0.1%.

There's so much other stuff that is much more worth the invested time... :/

The first clip is Axe then amp. The second clip is amp then axe. Or maybe it's the other way 'round ;)

I have pretty good 'phones. And ears. I just heard a small difference. And liked the 2nd (1st clip), 1st (2nd clip.)

FWIW.

But this shit is negligible. They both sound fookin' awesome. Just wasn't *as* thrilled on the bass emphasis on one.

To me, the difference is so small as to be non-existent. Either that, or I just can't hear it. But, my hearing is pretty good. Nothing I'd agonize over, in any event.

I think I can hear a difference, but I cannot quantify it in words it is so insignificant, if not downright imaginary, to my ears. Voted NO.

Just using my iMac's built-in speakers the main diff is that the Triaxis has a bit more bottom end dialed in and sounds subjectively a bit louder too.
But the basic tones, gain characteristics and dynamics are REAL close.

BTW
What power amp are you using with the Triaxis and is it the same power amp you used to model it?
What cab was the Triaxis going through and was the Axe going through an IR of the same cab mic'ed identically?

Back
Top Bottom