DIY Axe-Fx Foot Controller for $50 (Open Project)

You can find the latest version of my program at the second message of this thread

It may not be orthodox (I am not a programmer) but it works :rolleyes:

Sorry, my brain obviously wasn't working that day. For some reason I thought the .ino files were a compiled version of the arduino program. Cheers!

Want a little teaser? :D That's what it looks like right now.
Sorry, I don't intend to hijack your thread @Piing ;)

Great work! thank you for sharing it. This thread is for combining ideas

I am also planning to cut the metal with a shape like that.

Only MIDI-Out? No MIDI-In to read data from the Axe-FX?

Where did you find that large display?

Well, depends on what you want to display. I display the song, scene names, tuner screen etc. on the left side and the functions of the buttons on the right side. It really depends on the way you want to use the thing.

Just make sure the display has a HD44780 chip, so it's easy to use with the arduino.

On mine the characters are a bit small, but I couldn't use a bigger screen anyway. The backlight also isn't very strong unfortunately. But I won't be farther away than 2m and according to my tests this works just fine.
Today I'll (hopefully) finish the soldering, so I can do a first test. Very excited!!! :)

Shopping list:
- Arduino Mega ( $6.56 )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401036224315?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

- DIN Female Jack (7 pin if you want power supply from Midi Cable) ($0.99)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272139554632?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

- LCD display (I’ve bought one with a keypad that I may use in the future) ($2.56)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keypad-Shie...emilanove-UNO-MEGA2560-MEGA1280-/221849044117

- Stomp Pedal Momentary Switches ( $2.54 each)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Peda...Effects-Push-Button-Foot-Switch-/400914113943

- 220 Ohm resistors for the MIDI Output and for the LED’s ($1 for 100 units)

- LED’s ($1 for 50 units)

Minimum cost:

Arduino Mega.................................... 1 x $6.56 = $ 6.56
LCD Display...................................... 1 x $2.56 = $ 2.56
MIDI DIN Female Jack...................... 1 x $0.99 = $ 0.99
Stomp Pedal Momentary Switches... 15 x $2.54 = $ 38.10
220 Ohm resistors............................. 17 x $0.02 = $ 0.34
0.5 mm LED...................................... 15 x $0.05 = $0.75
Case................................ Free, using imagination
Cable................................ Cannibalized from scrap LAN wire
TOTAL COST .......................................................$ 49.30

AxePedal_04.jpg

@Piing Is this shopping list still current? Also, I see many of the Ebay items are shipped from China. Did shipping take a long time?

@Piing Is this shopping list still current? Also, I see many of the Ebay items are shipped from China. Did shipping take a long time?

The item references are still valid, but you have to find updated vendors (search and sort by price).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...Microcontroller+Board++arduino&LH_TitleDesc=0

Shipping from China to Thailand usually takes one or two weeks. It may take a little bit longer to the US.
I've bought hundreds of electronic parts from China and never had problems. In rare occasions the item did not arrive, but the vendor always offered refund or resend.

How long does this take to build? THAT's where the hidden cost is ;)

VERY cool project, though. I'm thoroughly impresses, especially if all the buttons are programmable! Thanks for sharing.

How long does this take to build? THAT's where the hidden cost is ;)
True, but building your own controller allows you to do whatever you want, since you are in control of the sourcecode. I built features into mine that I've never seen on any other controller. That level of control is addictive I'm telling you! :cool:

But since you are right and building one by yourself I think it's important to follow the open source philosophy here. Everyone who builds one by himself should release everything (source code, drawings of the casing and wiring, hints, experiences building it etc) so others who might want to go into the same or an equal direction don't have to start at zero.

I myself got a bit delayed with releasing everything, but I'll manage to do it this year, promise (hope I can keep it!). I'll most probably change my code so it works with the II aswell (I wrote it for my Ultra), which shouldn't be too much work.

True, but building your own controller allows you to do whatever you want, since you are in control of the sourcecode. I built features into mine that I've never seen on any other controller. That level of control is addictive I'm telling you! :cool:

But since you are right and building one by yourself I think it's important to follow the open source philosophy here. Everyone who builds one by himself should release everything (source code, drawings of the casing and wiring, hints, experiences building it etc) so others who might want to go into the same or an equal direction don't have to start at zero.

I myself got a bit delayed with releasing everything, but I'll manage to do it this year, promise (hope I can keep it!). I'll most probably change my code so it works with the II aswell (I wrote it for my Ultra), which shouldn't be too much work.

How's your MFC coming along? Have any new teaser pics?

How's your MFC coming along? Have any new teaser pics?
I forgot to take a photo of the inside (wiring etc.), but had to disassemble it again, so I can't take one now. What's left to do is to varnish the case, connect the top and bottom steel plates and screw it all together. As soon as it's finished I'll start with documentation, polishing the code, replace the german comments with english ones, replace the german variable names with english ones (right now it's a mixture of both ;). I'll show you pictures and maybe a video of the completed thing and then, when the rest is done, I'll release that too, most probably on a platform like github.

7 pin midi, bi-directional including phantom power :)

With the bi directional midi data, is this identical as to what come out on the Midi out port of the Axe FX. I am trying to read some sysex data on my own Arduino project use the Axe FX midi out but struggling. To summarise my question, does the sysex data (preset names etc) appear on the midi out port or only on the bidirectional pins of the midi input on the AxeFX ?

Might want to fix your quoting...

The data should be the same. It's outbound data and would be required for devices using 2 midi cables as well.

My Elegoo EL-KIT-008 Mega 2560 Project The Most Complete Ultimate Starter Kit arrived yesterday!

I ordered it from Amazon for $59.99 Amazon product ASIN B01EWNUUUA
I already have a few MIDI 5pin and 7pin DIN Male and Female Jacks and Stomp Pedal Momentary Switches. I decided to get the kit because I think it would be fun to learn how to build a bunch of the projects in the tutorials.

Also, I found this awesome YouTube channel called Notes and Volts ( https://www.youtube.com/user/NotesAndVolts/videos ) that shows how to make different MIDI Controllers.

Ok guys, I think it's unfair to always talk about my project but let you interested guys wait so long. I've finished the translation of comments, variables and file names, so hopefully you are able to read the code. I split the parts of the code in several header files to keep it organized. I did my best to explain everything with comments. There's a LOT of comments ;)

Remember, it's written for the Ultra, not the II, especially not the III. But there are parts in the code that are universal like how to send CC data, how to debounce switches etc.

You can get it on http://www.unstucc.de/MIDI-controller-beta1.zip Please make sure to read the README.txt file first to get a good starting point.

Back
Top Bottom