Not a Bug Digital clipping

Which type is the Delay set to?

Last edited:
Preset that can clip

OK. here is the preset I was messing around with.
Change the cabs as I'm using user cabs. (Clipping occurs also with standard cabs)

To experience the clipping, just increase the LEVEL parameter on the Axe either in the amp or cab. Then go to the Delay block and bypass to see the Clipping LED come on.

Attachments

• Wrecker with clipping option.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 16
That preset has the Drive on in the Delay block. Of course it will exhibit this behavior.

You're just not understanding things. If the clip light is coming on then the output can clip, otherwise it won't. If you bypass a block and the clip light comes on that means the overall level increased. In your Delay block the Mix is 37% but the Level is 0 dB. This means it's level when bypassed is higher than when active.

I cannot detect any clipping of any sort anywhere if the clip LED does not light.

Thank you.

I turned off the drive on the delay block. No change in behavior. Unless I'm missing something, my earlier observations remain. Have you tried the preset and are still unable to duplicate the issue?

I have tried the preset. If I turn up the Amp level and bypass the Delay the clip LED comes on. So what? That proves nothing.

The Axe-Fx simply cannot clip internally under almost all conditions. It's a floating point processor. If you are getting clipping WITHOUT the clip LED lighting then the problem is elsewhere.

Thanks. Just so we're clear, I'm not trying to prove anything. I can perfectly live without "handling" this issue: just turn down the level.
But I do hear what I hear. I'd be glad to find out that the problem comes from somewhere else. My signal chain right now is: Guitar > Axe FX > Meyer Sound powered speaker in perfect working condition. I am working at relatively low volume levels too. I don't have a camera with me now otherwise I'd take a quick video to show and tell.
But please trust me when I say that when I increase the level, there is heavy clipping going on. Turning the level to +20, by the way, resulted in Axe FX crash and reboot.
So I'm open to suggestions on this - or not - just trying to get a handle on it and help.

Your preset exhibits no abnormal clipping here. You are probably overdriving the inputs on your monitor.

Note that you also have the Motor Drive in the amp block set quite high. As you increase the output of the amp block you will increase the power compression in the virtual speaker motor. At very high levels out of the amp block this may sound like clipping. IOW, the cab block is dependent upon the level input to it as it is doing nonlinear processing.

Well as I said, I'm playing at very moderate volumes. Not overdriving any inputs on my monitor. If I did, I'd permanently damage my hearing playing at less than 3 feet from it!
All levity aside. I turned the drive motor to 0 and there was no change.

To be clear, when I turn the LEVEL up on the amp, distortion/clipping increases proportionately. I thought that LEVEL did not introduce distortion, just increased the output amplitude. Is that incorrect?

Well as I said, I'm playing at very moderate volumes. Not overdriving any inputs on my monitor. If I did, I'd permanently damage my hearing playing at less than 3 feet from it!
All levity aside. I turned the drive motor to 0 and there was no change.

To be clear, when I turn the LEVEL up on the amp, distortion/clipping increases proportionately. I thought that LEVEL did not introduce distortion, just increased the output amplitude. Is that incorrect?

Level does not increase distortion. You have a problem somewhere. It's not the Axe-Fx.

What IRs are yo using in that preset? The are users cab on the preset?

I'm using RW Marshall 1960A G12M cabs. Downloaded from the RW website. The behavior does not change when I use stock IRs.
I's quite baffling to say the least. I am not sure what the source of the issue is here. But LEVEL definitely changes the character of the sound. I'll try to post some clips so you can hear what I hear.

But LEVEL definitely changes the character of the sound. I'll try to post some clips so you can hear what I hear.

I tried the preset. Turned off Delay. No clipping. Turned up Amp level, sound just becomes louder, sounds the same.

Here's what I get:

Increasing from -10 db to +15 in increments of 5. Only thing changed is the LEVEL parameter in the amp block. I'm open to suggestions.

This is recorded direct in Logic. Guitar > Axe FX > USB cable > Macbook Pro - Logic

At the higher dB values the clipping LED doesn't blink?

Well, I tried out the preset; I changed the cabs to use 1x12 E12L (RW). At the default level in the patch all is OK, increasing the level to 0db does introduce artifacts here. I recorded this direct to Cubase:

Increased level:

Patch default level:

Trying to help out, I'm new to recording/Axe so hopefully no user error this time (cfr. the CAB sim debacle on the previous page). I'm hearing the same artificats through the headphone out btw. No blinking of the clip lights either. OUT levels in the utility level are high but there's a few mm left to max.

Last edited:
At the higher dB values the clipping LED doesn't blink?

Not when the DELAY block is ON. Which is why I thought that the limiting processing in the Delay block is what masks the clipping earlier in the chain.

Well, I tried out the preset; I changed the cabs to use 1x12 E12L (RW). At the default level in the patch all is OK, increasing the level to 0db does introduce artifacts here. I recorded this direct to Cubase:

Increased level:

Patch default level:

Trying to help out, I'm new to recording/Axe so hopefully no user error this time (cfr. the CAB sim debacle on the previous page). I'm hearing the same artificats through the headphone out btw.

Exactly what I get. No LED?

Back
Top Bottom