Didnt have time to finish. Is it good?

No one has offered any proof that it's anything but genuine.

On the topic of it being mimed, Bakerman came the closest with a timestamp and opinion that the notes rang longer than they appear to be held.

But anyone in the "it's sped up camp" has simply relied on the "well, I can hear it" and then denegrated anyone else who disagreed with them instead of doing the work to prove their hypothesis.

In the absence of proof, taking it at face value is not only the correct thing to do, but ultimately the harmless thing to do because, as I've said repeatedly, it's art and children around the world aren't going to starve and die because it may or may not be a live performance that's manipulated in post production. In the grand scheme of things, it's unimportant.

Agreed.

Proof is the burden of the accuser and since it’s supposedly so blatant and easy to see the “cheating”, than surely a video can be produced showing these blatant little lies?

(This is generally about the time the “I don’t have time to make a video” or, “It’s not my job to prove it to you” replies)

Indeed. He played the solo 3-4x then they just faded in the sections they dug, which is how he’s done a ton of his solos. Even the solo on PULSE is an edit of the original. Really clever how they pulled that off, too.

Funny, I remember back in the day, I was listening to Vai’s “Rescue Me Or Bury Me” and at some point in the solo he unleashes a fury of notes, to which my dad said, “I wonder if he’s speeding up the tape. He knows all kinds of studio tricks...I dunno Andy, I think you’re aiming too high and these guys are using tricks. You’re setting yourself up for failure.”

Man, I wish someone told me when I was young to never listen to my dad. All those damn times he told me I was setting myself up for failure were just moments where he realized he was incapable of doing something while projecting it on me. Shit’s got me in therapy now! :D

Haha! Parents are a therapist's best friend and also their path to early retirement. ;)

"Don't have goals, boy! They'll just lead to inevitable disappointment when you don't achieve them."

Kind of cool to think that Gilmour had to learn his own solos and had never actually performed them
live in their entirety before doing so----kind of like all the cover band guitar gods who had to do the
exact same thing with them. :)

And speaking of Vai, @RevDrucifer , I happened to listen to the entire "Slip of The Tongue"
Whitesnake album this weekend. Probably had not done so in 20 years or more. Man, that
sure is a weird fit. Vai was like, "Let's bring a little Lydian (or a lot!) to the party!"

Haha! Parents are a therapist's best friend and also their path to early retirement. ;)

"Don't have goals, boy! They'll just lead to inevitable disappointment when you don't achieve them."

Kind of cool to think that Gilmour had to learn his own solos and had never actually performed them
live in their entirety before doing so----kind of like all the cover band guitar gods who had to do the
exact same thing with them. :)

Oh dude, it was pretty much exactly like that with my dad. He was a drummer in some shitty cover bands and my while he was stoked I was playing, any time I mentioned making a career out of it I was lectured for an hour about how it wasn’t worth it or I was incapable of pulling it off. Took me a long time to realize that was one of the roots of my confidence issues.

Indeed. He’s had to do that with a lot of his tunes/Floyd’s tunes as he often writes the same way. The Division Bell was all pieced together from bits from jamming in a room and I believe his last two solo albums were very much pieced together as well. He never plays the same solo twice, with exception of the 1st “Comfortably Numb” solo, everything else he just adds some familiar parts and then goes off. I’ve been collecting every bootleg from the PULSE tour over the years as those are my favorite Gilmour tones, some nights he relies on those familiar parts more than others, some nights he’d just go somewhere else entirely. I love that approach to it.
And speaking of Vai, @RevDrucifer , I happened to listen to the entire "Slip of The Tongue"
Whitesnake album this weekend. Probably had not done so in 20 years or more. Man, that
sure is a weird fit. Vai was like, "Let's bring a little Lydian (or a lot!) to the party!"

I have to assume that was more of a popularity thing than anything else. I was born in ‘82 and all I can really go by is the guitar mags and stories about that exact time frame Vai joined Whitesnake, but it seems he was the guy everyone was talking about, getting the DLR gig and basically being the runner up to EVH certainly helped that quite a bit. It was cool seeing Vai step into the ‘darker’ side of 80’s metal and man, he got some RIPPIN’ tones on that album!!!!!

He also wrote and recorded nearly a whole album with Ozzy right between Sex And Religion and Alien Love Secrets. “My Little Man” on Ozzmosis was written by Vai, but that’s the only song that saw the light of day from those sessions. Vai said he was tuned to drop C the whole time and it was straight metal stuff, but the label thought Vai’s name was too big on it’s own to pair with Ozzy. I’d LOVE to hear that music.

Wow..... I did not know that about Vai. You think Sharon would ever let it out of the vault
as long as she is alive??? ;)

Maybe Steve had an actual legit contract (unlike how she shafted damn near everyone else
who ever wrote, recorded, or played live with Ozzy). He doesn't seem to be the guy who would
get hoodwinked and take "someone's word for it." I even recall reading an interview with him
where he paid back a major label $250,000 in advance money because they questioned
the direction of his music, which became Passion & Warfare.

Agreed.

Proof is the burden of the accuser and since it’s supposedly so blatant and easy to see the “cheating”, than surely a video can be produced showing these blatant little lies?

(This is generally about the time the “I don’t have time to make a video” or, “It’s not my job to prove it to you” replies)

No one has offered any proof that it's anything but genuine.

On the topic of it being mimed, Bakerman came the closest with a timestamp and opinion that the notes rang longer than they appear to be held.
Just to clarify, that was the first chord in the first video I watched then, his most recent one at the time.

Here's another where F# & A at 9th & 10th fret ring through the tapped D (22nd fret low E) while he's clearly already moving up to 15th position.

On this one the F# (11th fret G string) rings with vibrato up to the following low E (12th fret tapped harmonic) while he doesn't fret it nearly that long. Also appears to be one fret too high at 0:12 for the E-F# slide.

Just to clarify, that was the first chord in the first video I watched then, his most recent one at the time.

Here's another where F# & A at 9th & 10th fret ring through the tapped D (22nd fret low E) while he's clearly already moving up to 15th position.

On this one the F# (11th fret G string) rings with vibrato up to the following low E (12th fret tapped harmonic) while he doesn't fret it nearly that long. Also appears to be one fret too high at 0:12 for the E-F# slide.
Bakerman gets it. Good analysis to show it's mimed.

Last edited:
I play since 27 years everyday, so if I open my mouth about it it that I see it in a few seconds, surely not jealousy. But when you practice hard to give real covers and live seeing these cheaters is annoying . Anyway . We don’t care in the end . But that’s the lounge hm ? Beer ? 😅

concerning Vai … this guy is a god concerning technique, theory . I don’t really like his albums, but watching him playing is always crazy . They are tons of live videos with him clearly not cheating . So if one day he use a trick… I will pardon him forever. This guy is really really really skilled .

Wow..... I did not know that about Vai. You think Sharon would ever let it out of the vault
as long as she is alive??? ;)

Maybe Steve had an actual legit contract (unlike how she shafted damn near everyone else
who ever wrote, recorded, or played live with Ozzy). He doesn't seem to be the guy who would
get hoodwinked and take "someone's word for it." I even recall reading an interview with him
where he paid back a major label $250,000 in advance money because they questioned
the direction of his music, which became Passion & Warfare.

It was most likely Sharon that pulled the plug! You're certainly right about Vai's business sense; he owns all his own publishing and I could see that being an issue as well. There's no way Sharon would want to do a legit split between Ozzy and Vai. And actually, since his last few albums have been pieced together by a producer and various people throwing their hat in the ring, I don't feel I'm out of bounds believing Sharon got plenty of people to contribute music to Ozzy for free, because who doesn't want a song on an Ozzy album?

I mean, ask Bob Daisely and Lee Kerslake can paint a pretty good picture of how songwriting credits are handled in that camp, unfortunately.

Ohhhhh snap, yep, I can't argue those! Good eye, man! Damn!

Speaking of miming, word is Frank Zappa used to write shit impossible to play and then demand
the cats in his band find a way to pull it off.

It was most likely Sharon that pulled the plug! You're certainly right about Vai's business sense; he owns all his own publishing and I could see that being an issue as well. There's no way Sharon would want to do a legit split between Ozzy and Vai. And actually, since his last few albums have been pieced together by a producer and various people throwing their hat in the ring, I don't feel I'm out of bounds believing Sharon got plenty of people to contribute music to Ozzy for free, because who doesn't want a song on an Ozzy album?

I mean, ask Bob Daisely and Lee Kerslake can paint a pretty good picture of how songwriting credits are handled in that camp, unfortunately.
Yup. Her father was a long-time Record Exec, so no doubt she learned from the best on how to fuck
over "artists." ;)

Other than his stage persona and antics (and apparently some ability at humming "melodies"
over chord progressions and riffs other people have written throughout his entire career), Ozzy doesn't
have a ton of talent, to speak of.

Receiving legitimate and honest royalties from publishing seems to have spelled the demise for Jake E. Lee
in Ozzy's band. Crazy that someone like Bob Daisley continued to work with the Osbourne's even after getting shafted
multiple times. Vivian Campbell has also said that is why he parted ways with Dio. His wife managed him, and RJD
promised he would fix it and give credit to Vivian for all of the writing/creating he did on the first 3 Dio records.

Never happened.

Back
Top Bottom