Development with the next firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its Friday GIF by Susanne Lamb

So, the solution to this "inequality" is for Cliff to hold off on putting out new stuff until the FM9 and FM3 firmware is ready, then put them all out at once. This, of course, will lengthen the amount of time for everyone. Is that preferable to you?
I think my comment was understandable and not to be misunderstood. I didn't say that you should wait until all updates are ready. I merely said that there is a big difference in the frequency of updates between FM9 and FM3:
FM3: last update August 2023, no beta version
FM9: last update February 2024, last beta version yesterday

Hence my reference to the uneven updates. I said nothing else

I don’t get it. I’ve had the FM3 for 3 years and this is the first time that a FW update was longer or delayed than normal. As far as I can remember they all were within a reasonable time from the FXIII. Considering what this update is containing it seems that a longer period of time is a reasonable expectation. The FM9 getting it first is really unimportant. it could be for practical reasons. If I remember correctly the FM9 had a long wait for an update not so long ago.

It’s coming…soon. From the keyboard of the main man himself and also from his designated confidant.

I don’t get it. I’ve had the FM3 for 3 years and this is the first time that a FW update was longer or delayed than normal. As far as I can remember they all were within a reasonable time from the FXIII. Considering what this update is containing it seems that a longer period of time is a reasonable expectation. The FM9 getting it first is really unimportant. it could be for practical reasons. If I remember correctly the FM9 had a long wait for an update not so long ago.

It’s coming…soon. From the keyboard of the main man himself and also from his designated confidant.

It also may be the biggest update the unit as seen, cramming so much stuff on the FM3 can't be easy.

Even though I am very satisfied with my FM3, I do not understand this unequal treatment of Fractal customers and users. FM3 customers received the last update in August 2023 ...... FM9 customers received the last update in February 2024 and are receiving the next update today in the form of a beta version......
An FM3 beta update is expected, but it is still not here......
Engineering is experiencing a boot issue with the FM3 firmware. It's not unequal treatment. There's a problem. We can't release the firmware until this problem is resolved.

That seems like a very convoluted solution. My understanding is the gap right now is the time it takes to clear and load the new preset. The easiest solution is allocating a buffer to preload the next preset and then switching over once it's loaded.

My "delay tail/etc" was essentially a way to explaining a buffer more generally. They create some sort of thing that contains a chunk of sound to replay or stretch over the period of silence while the new preset is loading, then crossfade into it instead of crossfading up from silence.

If so...then all the "I play 32nd notes at 150 BPM, can't have a gap" crowd would have some very serious problems. (Note, I really don't even have a problem with the current gap)

One of their 32nd notes might not be a real note but just be an extended note depending on how all the times work out. I think the compomise is that this is less noticable than an audible silence.

I guess it’s a little more difficult to port X3 on the fm3 due to cpu.

AFAIK X3 is already ported, but they're testing and fixing any bugs with X3, gapless, new reverbs, new models, and any other of the major features that added over the last several months. I don't think X3 was particularly hard to fit, because it was announced as in and beta testing pretty shortly after the FX III release was live.

Even though I am very satisfied with my FM3, I do not understand this unequal treatment of Fractal customers and users. FM3 customers received the last update in August 2023 ...... FM9 customers received the last update in February 2024 and are receiving the next update today in the form of a beta version......
An FM3 beta update is expected, but it is still not here......

I think my comment was understandable and not to be misunderstood. I didn't say that you should wait until all updates are ready. I merely said that there is a big difference in the frequency of updates between FM9 and FM3:
FM3: last update August 2023, no beta version
FM9: last update February 2024, last beta version yesterday

Hence my reference to the uneven updates. I said nothing else

FM3 has had updates before the FM9 on other occasions. How long it takes is how long each team takes to implement the features in their respective platforms. The FX III is always first because Cliff owns that development process, and it's where he trials and implements new features. The FM9 and FM3 teams then port those changes to their units, redoing or rethinking or re-optimizing parts that won't fit into their hardware as needed. They're separate platforms with separate chips, architectures, and development pipelines I'm sure.

If the FM3 update is ready first, it goes out first. In this case, the FM3 update was not ready as quickly. There was mention that someone on the development team was sick or out for a time, but the reason doesn't really matter: He's working a job developing these firmware updates for platforms we already own. Cliff can work extra hard evenings and weekends because he's passionate, but also because he owns the company. The other teams are responsible for working their job as a job, and dealing with any personal issues or sickness as needed to keep themselves healthy and happy. They aren't personally beholden to make us all feel like Pampered Pretty Princesses all the time.

So tangent aside, for whatever reason, this time the FM3 update was not ready as quickly. This then got compounded by the fact that the X-3 Update dropped in beta on the III. They could either finish and ship the gapless/etc update sooner, and leave people to complain about not having X-3 yet, or roll that in and release both. Clearly they decided that adding X-3 would not significantly delay the current update and be better than managing the release of one and the beta of the other simultaneously.

And in 2 weeks when we're all on gapless X-3 none of us are even going to remember this. You're still getting more updates more frequently than at the competitive products.

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom