Development with the next firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my Ultra on Firmware 11, never had a single update and I'm still enjoying the unit today. Lesson I learned was: relax, practice and just play some guitar with this awesome unit. Improving your technique and enjoying playing > new firmware.

If you guess every day you will eventually be correct. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while ;)

The Axe Fx II was around 10+ years before the Axe Fx III.

And in any case, this is the FM3 forum...
Yep. Everything is possible on an infinite timescale. There also needs to be and advancement in DSP chips and limitations on the current hardware to justify it. I’m happy with the state of things. Any guess as to new hardware is pure conjecture until officially announced.

Last edited:
Mr Bean Reaction GIF

Even though I am very satisfied with my FM3, I do not understand this unequal treatment of Fractal customers and users. FM3 customers received the last update in August 2023 ...... FM9 customers received the last update in February 2024 and are receiving the next update today in the form of a beta version......
An FM3 beta update is expected, but it is still not here......

Even though I am very satisfied with my FM3, I do not understand this unequal treatment of Fractal customers and users. FM3 customers received the last update in August 2023 ...... FM9 customers received the last update in February 2024 and are receiving the next update today in the form of a beta version......
An FM3 beta update is expected, but it is still not here......
Their are 3 products with 3 dev teams.

One does not take away from the other.

Nobody is "treating" FM3 customers in any unfair fashion.

The changes from the previous to later FM9 firmware catch it up to the Axe Fx III.

The impending FM3 updates will do the same based on a recent post from Matt.

Your post sounds a bit entitled to me...

Gapless applies to more than just preset changes...

The preset needs CPU and memory to be loaded. It can't be loaded without that.

The most logical and simple solution with the architecture that's in place seems to be an audio buffer and a cross-fade.

If so...then all the "I play 32nd notes at 150 BPM, can't have a gap" crowd would have some very serious problems. (Note, I really don't even have a problem with the current gap)

How does the system know what the next preset is?

Also, keeping two presets in memory would require twice the CPU.

It doesn't, I'm talking about a shift in the order of operation.. What I believe is happening today is when you switch preset is everything is cleared then the newly selected preset is loaded into memory. I'm saying, if the resources are available, when one selects a preset it is loaded into a memory reserved for this purpose, then the switch occurs, then the old preset is wiped. This doesn't speed the actual change, but should eliminate the gap. But of course this is just speculation and I could be super wrong.

EDIT: Memory and CPU are 2 different things, this would only require 2X the CPU if both were active simultaneously, that's not what I'm suggesting.

EDIT2: To be more clear...and I don't know the FM3 architecture, but I'm talking about activity between the RAM and whatever Fractal is using for storage (tiny SSD?). Reserving RAM space as a buffer to load from the SSD when a preset is selected. Wouldn't have significant CPU impact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom