Development with the next firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this FW 25 be the last one for this old generation of products? Will a new generation of Fractal units be around the corner to oversee the next 6 years ahead? I smell something!

I'm not sure what you're smelling on an internet forum, but it's probably coming from your house.

They just did a major amp modelling overhaul for the current units, not sure how that implies new hardware has to be around the corner in any way.

I think gappless works a bit similar to a global delay spillover. There's a little buffer of whatever sound the unit is currently making that when you swap scenes or presets instead of quickly crossfading to silence until the new sound is ready, it crossfades to the buffer with your last X ms playing to "continue" the last sound. Once the new sound is ready it crossfades into the new sound.

So the slience that used to make the gap is replaced with a loop or continuation or repeat of the sound your were just on instead.

The switch is fast enough that it isn't very obvious there was a repeat, and it's much less noticable than the short period of silence or gap that used to be there.

That seems like a very convoluted solution. My understanding is the gap right now is the time it takes to clear and load the new preset. The easiest solution is allocating a buffer to preload the next preset and then switching over once it's loaded.

I'm not sure what you're smelling on an internet forum, but it's probably coming from your house.

They just did a major amp modelling overhaul for the current units, not sure how that implies new hardware has to be around the corner in any way.
That Cygnus X-4 or a new name, will come to the new next gen hardware units!

That seems like a very convoluted solution. My understanding is the gap right now is the time it takes to clear and load the new preset. The easiest solution is allocating a buffer to preload the next preset and then switching over once it's loaded.
that's cool!

Gapless applies to more than just preset changes...

The preset needs CPU and memory to be loaded. It can't be loaded without that.

The most logical and simple solution with the architecture that's in place seems to be an audio buffer and a cross-fade.

How does the system know what the next preset is?

Also, keeping two presets in memory would require twice the CPU.

Will this FW 25 be the last one for this old generation of products? Will a new generation of Fractal units be around the corner to oversee the next 6 years ahead? I smell something!
With the FM3 still getting the same firmware updates as the III...I don't think the III is anywhere close to tapped out

After the release of CX3 for FM3 we will now just how much power it demands on the unit, this will signal the timing for new units
That is modeling algorithm changes. There has been no mention of additional processing requirements for either Axe Fx III or FM9.

New units have to be planned far in advance of firmware changes. So even if you were correct and new hardware is announced tomorrow, it's not because of firmware changes today.

The sky is not falling... Stop announcing it ;)

Wow! A clairvoyant with a fear mongering syndrome. The perfect pair. Wonder if he works in mainstream media.

That is modeling algorithm changes. There has been no mention of additional processing requirements for either Axe Fx III or FM9.

New units have to be planned far in advance of firmware changes. So even if you were correct and new hardware is announced tomorrow, it's not because of firmware changes today.

The sky is not falling... Stop announcing it ;)
Yeah, but its been over 6 years now with the Axe FX III, so....... I'll keep guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom