Development with the next firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you take this view (which I definitely do) then the updates are most definitely gifts you should be thankful for, in my opinion.
Even if I thought this way (that I got fm3 without expecting updates), I am skeptical I'd view the updates as gifts. If I bought my friend a mop, this wouldn't be intended to increase market or social value on my part, not even in part.

At the very least, I'd view such intent, if it existed, as corrupting of the meaningfulness of a true gift... But with fractal, I cannot imagine this not being a substantial part of why we have updates in the first place, considering the market system at play.

I am thankful in some sense. But it's a thankfulness closer to "good business being done" compared to the thankfulness I view as warrantied in the context of true gifting.

And btw, I don't mean to be argumentative or cause a fuss. But I'm explaining my view, wrong as it's possible for it to be.

Also, if this is truly gifting, imagine how bananas it is that so many keep asking for the gift every day. If I am wrong, and updates are indeed gifts -- for one reason or another -- all the more reason for the constant expectation to be toned down (oh god how nice that would be imo).

And if people at fractal themsleves DO view updates as gifts, that probably makes many end users seem unbelievably entitled, to a comedic level.. maybe even if these users don't see updates as gifts :D

I don't know. I don't think fractal gives me gifts. Neither apple, in the form of updates, whatever the differences between these companies are (probably arguable that the differences are meaningful in this case). But at the same time, I certainly think a kind of thankfulness does apply, more so than in the case of apple -- just of a different substance than the one applicable to "true gift" receiving.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that a large percentage of users are not aware of the update history or have any expectations regarding them when they make a purchase.
Not sure I'd bet on any percentage magnitudes given the frequent wound up posts I see when it's been a while since last update or when one unit's had an update which another has not some time after.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting since 2013 for someone to show me how an update gave them success and wrote a hit song for them, or elevated thier band from watering holes to stadiums.
They missed an important part of the equation, they also needed the right guitar. And maybe they should have stuck with that one amp they had previously. And that pedal. Oh, and those particular strings….

Also, if this is truly gifting, imagine how bananas it is that so many keep asking for the gift every day. If I am wrong, and updates are indeed gifts -- for one reason or another -- all the more reason for the constant expectation to be toned down (oh god how nice that would be imo).

And if people at fractal themsleves DO view updates as gifts, that probably makes many end users seem unbelievably entitled, to a comedic level.. maybe even if these users don't see updates as gifts :D

Exactly :)

I'm sure Fractal probably think of updates somewhere in the middle... But even then your comments are still valid.

I think at this point if you want the latest firmware updates you gotta roll with the AxFx3 or FM9. It’s kinda obvious that those are the flagship devices. I dusted off my AxeFx3 recently and forgot how much more capable it is over the FM3. And those new Stealth 5150 models…DAMN.

FM3 still good for those wanting a very portable solution. But that comes at a price firmware and power wise.

No big deal IMO. FW updates will come when they come. Plenty of killer sounds available in the FM3 as is.

I think at this point if you want the latest firmware updates you gotta roll with the AxFx3 or FM9. It’s kinda obvious that those are the flagship devices. I dusted off my AxeFx3 recently and forgot how much more capable it is over the FM3. And those new Stealth 5150 models…DAMN.

FM3 still good for those wanting a very portable solution. But that comes at a price firmware and power wise.

No big deal IMO. FW updates will come when they come. Plenty of killer sounds available in the FM3 as is.
Yeah, but I don't really play much. I just got the unit to do firmware up grades....

Any seriously committed company concerned about being a leader in guitar amp/effects modelling will follow the regime of continuous improvement.

Fractal is that company that seems to me, strives for holding technical leadership and tone quality as the basis for their existence in the market place. I bought my FM3 thinking that it was over priced and under interfaced with I/O, but having the best amps/effects in the market. I dont need a ton of I/O, but I do want the best tone I can get. I paid the premium price to buy a class leading modeler.

Fractal, IMO, continuously improves it existing products through firmware upgrades because it is in the company's DNA to do so and always will be under its current leadership. Firmware upgrades are not gifts, but the result of the company being on point with wanting to provide the best possible product for their paying clients.

i think a major point to remember is that any updates are brand new ideas, created from absolute scratch.

using Fractal products for over 15 years and going through so many updates on all the gear, i know there isn't a pile of updates just sitting there being scheduled so people have to wait. cliff has pretty much always just given everything he has at that moment into the next update. sometimes multiple new ideas/functions/modeling in a week, a few times within the same day.

these are created from scratch, so it takes time to create, implement, test, and deliver.

it's easy to think "oh it's digital just put it in there" but putting it in there requires so much more than just typing some words into the code.

we have been so fortunate to get industry-leading ideas into devices in many price ranges, available to almost all guitarists/musicians at any stage of their musical development. the excitement in threads like this is surely appreciated until it goes to "hurry up" sentiments. :)

They missed an important part of the equation, they also needed the right guitar. And maybe they should have stuck with that one amp they had previously. And that pedal. Oh, and those particular strings….
When Hendrix tracked the solo for purple haze, Eddie Kramer looked over at him and said “close. Real close. Try it with that nitro finished guitar. We need to hear the guitar breathe through the finish just a bit more………..”

Even if I thought this way (that I got fm3 without expecting updates), I am skeptical I'd view the updates as gifts. If I bought my friend a mop, this wouldn't be intended to increase market or social value on my part, not even in part.

At the very least, I'd view such intent, if it existed, as corrupting of the meaningfulness of a true gift... But with fractal, I cannot imagine this not being a substantial part of why we have updates in the first place, considering the market system at play.

I am thankful in some sense. But it's a thankfulness closer to "good business being done" compared to the thankfulness I view as warrantied in the context of true gifting.

And btw, I don't mean to be argumentative or cause a fuss. But I'm explaining my view, wrong as it's possible for it to be.

I don't know. I don't think fractal gives me gifts. Neither apple, in the form of updates, whatever the differences between these companies are (probably arguable that the differences are meaningful in this case). But at the same time, I certainly think a kind of thankfulness does apply, more so than in the case of apple -- just of a different substance than the one applicable to "true gift" receiving.
Maintenance updates and bug fixes, absolutely. It is a digital hardware or software developers responsibility and good business. But anyone who bought an AxeFXIII a few years ago has twice the product they paid for. To me, that is very much so a gift. They could very well release bug fix firmware and prematurely release the AxeFX IV with a ton more amps and FX and just hold those back for 2 years instead of dripping them out in free firmware updates for our AxeFXIII.

There was a used Quad Cortex in a store near me so I picked it up to give it a spin. My verdict: I'm still happier with my FM3 (which is still back on firmware 6.x some I don't even have Dynacab yet). So whenever this gets here, it'll just further improve the FM3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom