Day Of The Truss Rod

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
Ahhh the joys of living in Canada...I had to crank the truss rods in all of my guitars today. A sure sign the weather and humidity are changing here up North. I have to adjust my truss rods about four times a year...I mark the changing of the seasons with that adjustment heh.

Will have to to it again around Jan/Feb in the dead of winter (the air is sooooo dry during that time; pulling off sweaters is like getting zapped by a stun-gun for 5 seconds), sometime around Apr/May, middle of summer, and around this time.

Anyone have to wrench truss rods a few times a year?

It's an unavoidable rite of the passing of the seasons. Depending on how much back and forth the weather decides to do, I might have to revisit my truss rods three or four times in the fall, and again in the spring.

I recently purchased a Kiesel Vader. There is much I intensely dislike about that company, but the neck is the most stable I've ever seen. I can't bend the pitch by flexing the guitar. And the headless design makes truss adjustment super easy.

Super light too. Les Pauls require me to be the one with a truss.

Here in New Mexico I check each string change and adjust 3 to 4 times a year also. We've been known to have 4 seasons in one day...lol.

My EBMM Axis is one of those finicky guitars I need to adjust the truss rod once a month or so. The same with my Gibson Triumph bass.

My Rickenbacker 4003 needs the truss rod adjusted once every 15 years or so, coming due again BTW. My Epiphone ES-175 is also surprisingly rock solid stable never needing a truss rod tweak since I bought it.

Welcome to NJ, the land that plays favorites with guitars.

Super light too. Les Pauls require me to be the one with a truss.

My Les Paul was the worst offender of truss going out of whack; I had to wrench it's truss more frequently vs other guitars, and the bow/backbow was very much more pronounced when it was out. I got tired of it's weight and finicky adjustments and traded it for awesome doors for my house :).

I've had the same issue, especially with my basses doing gigs in Colorado in the winter. Necks that are super easy to play & straight in So. Cal. just bowed right out within a day or so! Keeping the fretboard nice & oiled, especially in the dry season, (summer here) really helps.

Kiesel uses carbon fiber reinforcement rods in all their necks. Parker Fly guitars use carbon composite for the fret board and neck too. Makes them a lot more stiff and stable since the carbon fiber is basically immune to temperature and humidity changes. Carbon fiber acoustic guitars are like that too. Pricey, but worth looking into if you live in an area with wide seasonal swings.

When i first read the title of this thread I was thinking "The Day of the Triffids":eek:

I'm in Texas and everybody knows this is one of the Earth places where the weather occasionally tries to kill you. That said, I do have to do a minor tweak to a truss rod every now and then. I keep all of my guitars in their cases, and that helps a bit. I have not had to do any radical adjustments, thankfully. I like my guitars set up a particular way (I set them up myself) so if they are a little "off" I can tell by how they play. When that happens, I adjust them. Usually no more than a quarter turn does the trick.

I'm in Texas and everybody knows this is one of the places where the weather occasionally tries to kill you. That said, I do have to do a minor tweak to a truss rod every now and then. I keep all of my guitars in their cases, and that helps a bit. I have not had to do any radical adjustments, thankfully. I like my guitars set up a particular way (I set them up myself) so if they are a little "off" I can tell by how they play. When that happens, I adjust them. Usually no more than a quarter turn does the trick.
Pretty much the same here... and given the forecast over the next week - 88, 89, 90, 74, 75, 79 - I expect I will be checking mine again.. :(

I like my guitars set up a particular way (I set them up myself) so if they are a little "off" I can tell by how they play. When that happens, I adjust them. Usually no more than a quarter turn does the trick.

Same with me. One day I'll pick up the guitar and notice it's fretting out badly or the action has become higher. I only have to give my Suhr about a 1/3rd of a turn and it's back in action.

Back
Top Bottom