Cygnus Beta - first impressions

Has anyone else broken their F5 button yet? I have been loading the forum a dozen or more times a day waiting for the public beta to drop. It's like watch a pot of water boil. I just need sit back, relax and trust in FAS....
I have been in the middle of moving house, so too busy to obsess over it. Painting guy comes today to estimate and hopefully paint tomorrow. Furniture and stuff arrive Friday. Then I get to put my new, slightly bigger music room together. With any luck, by the time I am back up and running, it will only be a couple days until it drops....

I have been in the middle of moving house, so too busy to obsess over it. Painting guy comes today to estimate and hopefully paint tomorrow. Furniture and stuff arrive Friday. Then I get to put my new, slightly bigger music room together. With any luck, by the time I am back up and running, it will only be a couple days until it drops....
Wow, you don't mess around - in prep for a new firmware you bought a new house just for a better music room! :)

Wow, you don't mess around - in prep for a new firmware you bought a new house just for a better music room! :)
Mostly for the cost being lower, actually. With work-from-home, being semi-close to the office stopped having value, and the real estate value around the old place has been rising at a meteoric pace. Might be able to pay this place off with the sales proceeds from the old place after only 3.5 years there if I do well on the sale. The music room and the rest of the house being bigger is nice, but I lose my garage in the process. The nicest part is that I have pretty much caught up with life, and should be able to afford to retire before I am dead....

I'm not often like this, but have gotten too much of an anticipation boner for this chungus now and especially the Chungus JCM.

I'm blocking the forum via chrome extension. It's just too much. Setting the block to last for a couple of weeks.

Will try to live as normal till then. Bye lel

Mostly for the cost being lower, actually. With work-from-home, being semi-close to the office stopped having value, and the real estate value around the old place has been rising at a meteoric pace. Might be able to pay this place off with the sales proceeds from the old place after only 3.5 years there if I do well on the sale. The music room and the rest of the house being bigger is nice, but I lose my garage in the process. The nicest part is that I have pretty much caught up with life, and should be able to afford to retire before I am dead....
Congrats on the new house. I hear you about the retirement thing. I just finished paying off my house so I am 100% debt free. Still, I got started on my career kind of late and dont have a large 401k yet. More like a 200.5k.

Perfect timing to be preoccupied with life changes. Sounds like you'll have a great new music room to go with a major FAS update. I can only dream!!!. cheers!

Take it from me , retirement before death is not overrated.

Congrats on the new house. I hear you about the retirement thing. I just finished paying off my house so I am 100% debt free. Still, I got started on my career kind of late and dont have a large 401k yet. More like a 200.5k.
Yeah, I don't have much, either. My employer contributes some for me. Now I will have budget to add to it. I also have some ASRS sitting around, grandfathered from the earlier, more pension-like rules, and SS. It's fun trying to find fast internet out in San Tan Valley, tho....

Yeah, I don't have much, either. My employer contributes some for me. Now I will have budget to add to it. I also have some ASRS sitting around, grandfathered from the earlier, more pension-like rules, and SS. It's fun trying to find fast internet out in San Tan Valley, tho....
For some reason I thought you were in north Phoenix. I am pretty close to San Tan Valley (Southeast corner of Gilbert). We should meet up some time and talk Fractal.

The reinvigorated 5e3 keeps me smiling. Here's another taster, posted with the permission of @FractalAudio.

For the purpose of comparing CPU usage, I set up a preset on FM3 with the same Blocks @Burgs is using on AXE-FX III.

1613402271859.png

I can turn all Blocks On and it works perfectly.

1613402627619.png

OK, It's maxing out FM3 CPU resources, but look at how many Effects + AMP + CAB can be running at once.

I think it's more than most of us need.

Edit: Reverb is on Economy Mode, on Normal Mode CPU usage is around 85~87%, but still works perfectly.

Last edited:
I assume that the factory presets for the Ax Fx3 will also be completely revised and adapted. What do you all mean?

For the purpose of comparing CPU usage, I set up a preset on FM3 with the same Blocks @Burgs is using on AXE-FX III.

View attachment 78554

I can turn all Blocks On and it works perfectly.

View attachment 78556

OK, It's maxing out FM3 CPU resources, but look at how many Effects + AMP + CAB can be running at once.

I think it's more than most of us need.

Edit: Reverb is on Economy Mode, on Normal Mode CPU usage is around 85~87%, but still works perfectly.

Put the modulation blocks in parallel and you can lose the Send/Return blocks and save a little CPU.

Do they anticipate doing a public beta with this firmware? I would imagine with an update as large as this they will be doing a lot of internal testing before even thinking about a public beta.

Thanks for all your hard work Fractal Team!

For some reason I thought you were in north Phoenix. I am pretty close to San Tan Valley (Southeast corner of Gilbert). We should meet up some time and talk Fractal.
My old place is up north. The new place is almost halfway to Tucson from the old place. Once we are settled in, a meet-up would be cool....

Put the modulation blocks in parallel and you can lose the Send/Return blocks and save a little CPU.
Thank you for the tip.

I usually put Reverb and Delay in parallel, it sounds better.

In this case, I just wanted to do a preset closer to the one Burgs is using in the video.

Here it goes, effects in parallel:

1613405555253.png

About the same CPU Usage, but sounds a lot better, even with everything turned ON.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom