Cygnus Beta - first impressions

"Up" in Chicago?!? :yum:
They've just passed Toronto (which is South to me) so you should be seeing them soon...
Well the curb in front of my apartment is starting to resemble The Wall. So I should be all set when they arrive, as long as they haven't acquired a dragon yet... Please tell me they haven't.

The signal to noise ratio is weak in this thread.
[The "Insert quotes" function in the forum stopped working in my browser (Chrome on an old Mac Air) a few days ago, so doing it by hand.]

Love it!

XenForo should come up with an "On-topic SNR" Index (0-100) or Mods could develop an "FAS On-topic dB" rating (0 to -80 dB) and display it next to each thread title as well as a metric for each post. The OP gets 0 dB by default. My post gets -33 dB.

Don't single this one out, there are too many that are off topic. The signal to noise ratio is weak in this thread.
There are a lot of indirectly related posts, I agree... But they are mostly people referencing jokes about "the chugs", which is at least referential to Cygnus.

Hi Unix-guy
well the modeling is about get it as close as real deal, and if you look in the v3.x now you can choose valves under poweramp ex DIEZEL.
The preselected isn't KT77. Usually they match , so I just mentioned and updated..... pretty much Cygnus related.
Cygnus has not been released.

You have seemingly found what you think is an issue in the current firmware. Post a bug for that firmware ;)

Anyone that is with Fractal Audio, Vendor, or a Beta Tester that might know?:

In 16.0, on our custom presets, will the Amp block have to be RESET? I'm about to do a recording using the Cooper Carter JPIIC custom preset, and just wonder if I should wait until after the release, or go ahead and get in done with 15.01. I'm in no rush, especially if 16.0 is going to make it sound much better!

The "Insert quotes" function in the forum stopped working in my browser (Chrome on an old Mac Air) a few days ago, so doing it by hand
I've had issues on and off with quoting for a month or so... It complains about something to do with the browser. But it will work fine from the same browser window later.

Haven't figured it out yet... This is Safari on iPad for me.

Anyone that is with Fractal Audio, Vendor, or a Beta Tester that might know?:

In 16.0, on our custom presets, will the Amp block have to be RESET? I'm about to do a recording using the Cooper Carter JPIIC custom preset, and just wonder if I should wait until after the release, or go ahead and get in done with 15.01. I'm in no rush, especially if 16.0 is going to make it sound much better!

why don't you just record the effected sound and the dry sound for later reamping?

Last edited:
why don't you just record the effected sound and the dry sound for later reamping?
I've never set up for the re-amping thing. I run the Axe FX III right into my Babyface Pro computer interface. And Cooper's JP2C preset is perfect for this song, just as it is, but I know there were many tweaks to that Amp block. I'll probably just go ahead and record it and then record 16.0 on a separate track.

But just curious if we will have to RESET all our Amp Blocks on custom presets?

Last edited:
What @Patzag said. In spades.

I was impressed with the modeling improvements between firmware 14 and firmware 15. I mean really impressed. Like one-of-the-best-firmware-updates-ever impressed. But the difference between firmware 15 and Cygnus is way bigger than that. And not just the sound — the notes leap at you. And then spank you for drinking their coffee.

The dynamics in Cygnus just slay. The difference between light picking and vicious slamming is downright rude. And I love it.

As a wise man once said, you guys/gals are in for a treat.
Can't wait to hear the cygnificant difference from 15.1!!

Can't wait to hear the cygnificant difference from 15.1!!
Lay down a guitar track together with the dry signal and use that to re-amp whenever Chuggnus is available. Then you'll have a A/B without re-flashing your unit...

Back
Top Bottom