Curious: how many use frfr or cab for “your” stage sound

About half or less of my gigs have no real FOH so I use my XiTones. I use them anyway. It's nice to have a mixer but doing a lot of jazz gigs means you're repsonsible for your own stage volume and sound. Smaller venues and clubs.

I don't play anywhere where, if I had an amp, that it wouldn't be mic'd through a PA system. And having used IEMs for the last 10 years for 99% of what I do, I would probably have a hard time going back. But if I had to, I have wedges that sound great and could get me what I need. However, I'm far more happy hearing exactly what the audience is hearing so I don't really care about sound on stage. Can't tell you how many times I was disappointed because I had this awesome stage sound and the audience heard a whole different thing.
Aren't IEMs a recipe for exactly that? You're in your own little world, almost completely disconnected from the venue.

Aren't IEMs a recipe for exactly that? You're in your own little world, almost completely disconnected from the venue.
But I’m hearing the same “mic’d” signal that’s going to FOH as opposed to hearing an amp off axis. So I’m hearing as close to what the audience is hearing as possible. I also have ported IEMs, so I’m not completely disconnected.

Yes. I can’t see how NO stage volume is a good thing in and of itself. You’re going to have peopel
Who aren’t positioned well enough for just PA output. Especially in smaller venues. The IEM is appealing to me so I can have a good guitar signal and whatever else dialed in to taste in addition to some stage volume. Just not sure if it would be worth it. I want to protect my hearing as well so going IEM may help to some degree I suppose.
with solid IEM your ears will definitly be safe!

We use 2 subs and 4 top speakers it the PA. 2 of the top speakers are on poles, the other two sit on top of the subs and point into the middle of the dance floor. This provides the close front fill that would be missing when using stage amps. It also makes sure the people dancing can hear the vocals even when there are drums and stage amps. Overall I think silent stage would be a lot more controllable and give a better overall band mix. But I can see that having your favorite backline amp would be better for the individual musicians. But if you use IEMs, then it probably won't matter that much.

I use a PXM-12MP (sometimes two) on stage even though we primarily perform with IEMs. I like to have a little stage volume simply for the interaction with the guitar, but also sometimes pull one ear out with the IEMs to feel a little less isolated from the live environment.

I run the PXMs out of OUT 2 which is simply mirroring OUT 1 which feeds the IEMs and FOH, that way I can control how much stage volume I have without impacting my FOH. I have started to play around with running the OUT 2 signal without the cab block using the guitar cab mode on the PXMs. It definitely feels more like a real cab and it seems like it responds a little more naturally with things like feedback on stage.

What IEM you using? Are all band members mic’d up and coming through your IEM mix? I’ve been on fence with IEM for a while.
I've been bouncing back and forth between my 64 Audio's and ASI audio. In one band all of us are on IEM's now (I was the only one for about a year) and in the other 2 bands I'm the only one on IEM's and until the last gig only my guitar was coming through my IEM's so I had to keep them at a level where I could hear everyone else.

Fender FR-10 for me (standard issue currently but expecting my V2 invite in the not to distant future)
I feed a little bit from the FR10 to the desk to help with spread but the FR10 is loud enough to carry the room in the venues I've gigged it with (smallish UK pubs) I run in mono for gigs.

Not if you sidechain a condenser mic or two into the in ear mix that pulls way back when the music gets going and opens up between songs. You can talk on stage, hear the crowd, and it gets out of the way when you are concentrating on tone or vocal harmonies.

I have a rig that I can scale from just direct with ears ..to a single small or dual stereo FRFR ..all the way up to festival outdoor stuff with big stereo FRFRs and a tube amp.

I like a FRFR behind me moving air that my guitar can hear, and that will keep up with the drummer for anyone in front of the stage and the FOH system. (Which is where we want them 😎)

I use one or two GSS speakers equipped with Jensen N12Ds depending on my needs powered by the OUT1 Mono to my GSS or Seymour Duncan amp. I apply a quick correction on the amps if necessary and/or I activate the output EQ1 if necessary
I am waiting for a Reformer Barefaced 112 mounted with a Jensen N12D.

OUT2 in stereo or mono to the PA, no correction applied

I prefer real cabs on stage and send a emulated cab signal to FOH. I use ears but much of my band does not and I think it's easier to sit in the stage mix with traditional cabs. Plus with this setup on the rare nights I feel like playing my tube amp I can use the same cabs. If the venue is particularly small I just bring my FM9 and a 1x12 cabinet with a powerstage and treat it like a regular amp cab setup with no ears.

Same, what power amp did you choose?
We (two guitar players in the band with fractals) endet up with one seymour duncan powerstage 700, (which is way to overpowered;)) and a cheap harley benton GPA 100. Both deliver awesome results after tweeking the EQ on the Poweramps to your liking, depending on the Cabinet that is used. I personaly find it hard to hear a difference.

Now that I've found peace with FRFR, I really don't enjoy cabs as much anymore. Seriously.

Got forced into a 2x12 cab at my last gig, a cab I really like even, as it was shared backline... and I just didn't enjoy it.
The objectively worse dispersion keeps me more stuck to one area to hear myself.

I was startled how used to FRFR I have gotten. I was cab only for decades! Even with Fractal stuff. Now, it's something for me to avoid.
Funny how things change.

Back
Top Bottom