Crunch parameter?

(Oh, and make sure you don't hit the window button in your car, because the logical conclusion is that it will lead to a deadly situation)

I spun my car rolling down my window once. I hit a guard rail, and everything. I almost died. I still won't roll my windows down unless I'm stopped.

crunchy.jpg

Parameter greases up your tones with patchouli oil. +/- greasy setting.

"Never follow a hippie to a second location". - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Seems to be that the answer is one of those "use your ears" things, which I get.
The only follow up question to that I would have would be, does it affect or interact with anything else? As in... drive and treble are linked on some amps. Turning one kind of affects the other. I'd like to know how crunch differs from drive, and if it's more preamp or power amp related. But then again, I'm not likely to touch it, so.... I don't really need to know.

Seems to be that the answer is one of those "use your ears" things, which I get.
The only follow up question to that I would have would be, does it affect or interact with anything else? As in... drive and treble are linked on some amps. Turning one kind of affects the other. I'd like to know how crunch differs from drive, and if it's more preamp or power amp related. But then again, I'm not likely to touch it, so.... I don't really need to know.

Just messing with it, turning it all the way up, and all the way down, on different types of amps, with different gain setting, it seems to be a function OF drive. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that there is no real world equivalent to this guy, because on extreme setting, on medium to high gain amps, it can actually cut the signal out all together like a massive amount of clipping is going on, which probably means it's doing something that real physics wouldn't allow for.

Or in Cliffs words, it alters the "crunchiness" of the gain.

EDIT:

Know what...

Scratch that. Whatever. People are obviously intent on being dicks to others on the forum for simply not falling in lock step with how they deem it appropriate to approach things. I'm not going to continue to attempt to point out to you the asinine nature of the things you're saying.

Have a lovely day (Oh, and make sure you don't hit the window button in your car, because the logical conclusion is that it will lead to a deadly situation)

I wasn't being a dick to anyone, I just suggested the guy try it out and use his ears to find out what it's doing then report back since I have no idea. If that is being a dick then you have some issues that maybe a Therapist could help you with.

Though your post to me was dickish on top of the fact you didnt' answer my question so a double dick no? Look man you have a terrible attitude, that is appearent from the get go. You are the type that if you don't get your way you're a little baby. So why don't you either

1. Take some time off from the forum and come back and we all can be Bro's again.
2. Figure out what it does on your own since you seem to think u're so clever more so than anyone that has posted in this thread so far "seems that way in your posts"
3. Learn this saying and learn it well because you're like the prime example of it "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."
4. Get over yourself, Cliff, I we owe you nothing, if you don't want to play nice then don't let the door hit you on the way out and believe me I know that feeling when I didn't want to play nice years ago either, I am sure Cliff will tell you I was the worst at one point so I get it man, but you don't get it when you do get it u'll drop the attitude and learn to approach people the people on here as your equal not someone you can talk down to for your personal pleasure.

The self righteousness is ridiculous in this thread. We paid 2.5k-3k for the black box, I'm sure some specifics is something that isn't too much to ask for. I can barely get specifics for a lot of questions in this forum, let alone on the outdated and extremely skim wiki.
Seems like the only thing people care to comment on is fw update posts and whatever youtuber/reviewer is demo'ing.
Either help answer the question or bug off, don't be a sheep and follow what Cliff says just because you think you'll get some funny points, then act like you're not part of the problem.
That being said, I appreciate everything Cliff does for us, I don't understand his responses half of the time however. He tends to be vague more often than not. Leaving us to make 40 different threads about the same thing, speculating for hundreds of pages, for what? Come on now. And I'll probably get shit for this, I could care less. I know people don't really like reality checks.

I can barely get specifics for a lot of questions in this forum, let alone on the outdated and extremely skim wiki.
This forum gives more specific answers than any manufacturer's forum I've ever seen.

And the WIKI? It's loaded to the gills with current information. What do you find that's slim and outdated, besides the four-year-old Standard/Ultra section?

The exact function of the Crunch control is a secret and is part of the key to G3. That's why you won't get a straight answer.

With all due respect Cliff, this was all you needed to say in the first place. Would have easily saved me the time of reading a few pages of people saying the same thing. Heck there wouldn't be pages of the same thing.

And the WIKI? It's loaded to the gills with current information. What do you find that's slim and outdated, besides the four-year-old Standard/Ultra section?

Sure it is, but have you taken a look at the drives page? Could certainly use a bit more info on the knob functions instead of giving certain ones special treatment, which goes for the amps page as well. I suppose I'm nitpicking about specific info I pulled hair out over not being able to find, but I digress.

With all due respect Cliff, this was all you needed to say in the first place. Would have easily saved me the time of reading a few pages of people saying the same thing. Heck there wouldn't be pages of the same thing.

I highly doubt that. I've read so many posts where Cliff posted EVERY fact in the original post, and yet people still ask the same exact questions already answered in the original post. New threads abound where people ask questions where the answer is a link to another thread where the question was answered in the original post, almost always by Cliff. It's no wonder Cliff didn't give a straight answer in the first place.

Honestly, though, who didn't think this would be Cliffs final answer after his original snarky response?

Sure it is, but have you taken a look at the drives page? Could certainly use a bit more info on the knob functions instead of giving certain ones special treatment, which goes for the amps page as well. I suppose I'm nitpicking about specific info I pulled hair out over not being able to find, but I digress.
80% of the drive models have detail in the WIKI. Most of them got the "special treatment." The only ones with no detail are FAS-created ones, about which there is little public information available. And the Amps page is loaded with detailed info.

The WIKI is created and maintained by the users themselves. You're free to add any detail that's missing.

Honestly, though, who didn't think this would be Cliffs final answer after his original snarky response?

Clearly I didn't think so, and I'm sure I'm not the only one based on the lament from OP and others following..

The WIKI is created and maintained by the users themselves.

This is something I wasn't aware of. I figured it'd be natural for Cliff to put the wiki together himself, but I'm glad it exists to begin with.
That being said, some tips and knob substitution/function descriptions would be more than appreciated, considering I'm not too experienced with all of this old school and new school gear. Again, just me being picky, but I don't think it's serious enough to warrant you coming out of the works for my head. Take it easy dude.

Again, just me being picky, but I don't think it's serious enough to warrant you coming out of the works for my head. Take it easy dude.
I didn't come after your head, my brother. Just addressed the question at hand.

My invitation to add what you'd like to the WIKI was genuine. It's a joint venture for anyone who wants to contribute. The lion's share of the work has been done by yek, who puts in many hours keeping it as up-to-date as he can. He'll often add new information within a day of its showing up on the forum.

Peace.

I didn't come after your head, my brother. Just addressed the question at hand.

My invitation to add what you'd like to the WIKI was genuine. It's a joint venture for anyone who wants to contribute. The lion's share of the work has been done by yek, who puts in many hours keeping it as up-to-date as he can. He'll often add new information within a day of its showing up on the forum.

Peace.

Thanks for the insight.

Anyone that doesn't like the WIKI can gladly submit a request for a refund on their subscription price, right ?

Ohohoh, very clever.

I wasn't being a dick to anyone, I just suggested the guy try it out and use his ears to find out what it's doing then report back since I have no idea. If that is being a dick then you have some issues that maybe a Therapist could help you with.

Though your post to me was dickish on top of the fact you didnt' answer my question so a double dick no? Look man you have a terrible attitude, that is appearent from the get go. You are the type that if you don't get your way you're a little baby. So why don't you either

1. Take some time off from the forum and come back and we all can be Bro's again.
2. Figure out what it does on your own since you seem to think u're so clever more so than anyone that has posted in this thread so far "seems that way in your posts"
3. Learn this saying and learn it well because you're like the prime example of it "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."
4. Get over yourself, Cliff, I we owe you nothing, if you don't want to play nice then don't let the door hit you on the way out and believe me I know that feeling when I didn't want to play nice years ago either, I am sure Cliff will tell you I was the worst at one point so I get it man, but you don't get it when you do get it u'll drop the attitude and learn to approach people the people on here as your equal not someone you can talk down to for your personal pleasure.

How did you come to be under the mistaken impression that anything but my initial comment was directed at you?

I don't know what question you're talking about. I didn't notice you ask any question, and I certainly don't see any from you aimed specifically at me.

I'm going to refrain from addressing the rest of your post, because you simply seem confused.

The exact function of the Crunch control is a secret and is part of the key to G3. That's why you won't get a straight answer.

Crunch can mean so many different things. It can be a great ab builder, a great candy bar, an essential part of many cereals/chips/pretzels, the sound of gravel parting under heavy feet, etc.

Perhaps you could rename the parameter to something completely obvious and unambiguous. I'm thinking that Kerrannnnng would be good. Either that or Grrrrrrrr.

Back
Top Bottom