Crunch parameter?

You could always try it yourself and just use your ears, and come back here and share with us what it did. I haven't installed the latest firmware yet so I am always curious to hear you all share your experiences:)

Describing what it sounds like is not the same thing as what it is doing, unless there's no real world equivalent, in which case... just say so.

Describing what it sounds like is not the same thing as what it is doing, unless there's no real world equivalent, in which case... just say so.

I think it's awfully arrogant to assume that we require an explanation for every knob. It may very well be a proprietary function. Which means no, just use it and be happy, before he decides he has to take it away because of to many questions. To my ears, it adds, and takes away a certain crunchiness, so aptly named. I like it, I don't care what it actually does, it seems to work to make my patches do what I want them to do. I am happy with that.

Why would anyone even care what it's exactly doing? Isn't the point turning it and finding the spot you like?

Why would anyone even care what it's exactly doing? Isn't the point turning it and finding the spot you like?

That's another very good point. How in the world does knowing what it does change what you're going to do with it? It seems to vary quite a bit, from amp to amp, how much you need, and exactly what it seems to be affecting.

That's a hunt and peck solution, some of us actually understand the parts within an amplifier and can more quickly get our desired result with a more technical answer.

That's a hunt and peck solution, some of us actually understand the parts within an amplifier and can more quickly get our desired result with a more technical answer.

I do understand the parts within an amp. That being said, I'm not sure that the Crunch parameter toggles an actual hardware part of the modeled amp, I think it's more like a general modeling parameter that you can tweak. Hence why I said what I said. I might be on the wrong track here completely, but this is my guess.

I think it's awfully arrogant to assume that we require an explanation for every knob. It may very well be a proprietary function. Which means no, just use it and be happy, before he decides he has to take it away because of to many questions. To my ears, it adds, and takes away a certain crunchiness, so aptly named. I like it, I don't care what it actually does, it seems to work to make my patches do what I want them to do. I am happy with that.

I think it's awfully arrogant to assume that your opinion on what matters and what doesn't should be treated as law, and use that to judge others as "arrogant."

You and some others seem to be missing the actual point here though. The issue being taken with the response is not that it's not giving some kind of detailed, "needs an electrical engineering degree to understand" type of response (which, until recently, was the norm for how Cliff would generally answer questions like this, because, you know, he's basing his business on the idea that the unit is replicating real world hardware), the issue that people seem to be taking is that it's a non-answer.

I'm sure the people asking would be happy with:

"It replicates X"
"It's not replicating anything"
or
"I refuse to divulge what it's doing." (which he has not said at all)

Instead, people that are using the unit in various ways (some of which are dependent upon replicating real amp rigs accurately, which is something that a number of people on this forum completely negate every time they write off someone's questions with "just use your ears") are getting the answer "crunch does crunch." Which is as non-answer as you can get.

"So, let me show you all the ins and outs of this car you're buying."
"And what does that little red button do?"
"Oh, that's the Schwoop button."
"What does it do?"
"It adds schwoop to your drive."
"What does that mean?"
"It makes your rid more schwoopy. Didn't you feel the added schwoopiness when I pressed it while we were on our test drive?"
"I mean... I felt something change while I was driving, but it'd be nice to know exactly what it's doing."
"It increases the schwoopy factor of the car's performance"

I don't have a horse in this race, but I was a little disappointed with the amount of snark in response to the original question. I thought it was a legit question, and questions like this have been answered many times - a lot of those responses are now logged in the Wiki page...

Not sure why this question was shot down so hard?

I don't have a horse in this race, but I was a little disappointed with the amount of snark in response to the original question. I thought it was a legit question, and questions like this have been answered many times - a lot of those responses are now logged in the Wiki page...

Not sure why this question was shot down so hard?

Because Cliff was being humorously coy, and, rather than just allow for the fact that the question still has merit, the Fractal Forum Cliff Protection Brigade had to hop into action immediately to squash any potential discord by throwing the offending party up in the pillory.

I appreciate Cliff's humor, I think he has the right to be that way, he usually eventually gives a straight answer. I guess this time you're SOL, lol.

I appreciate Cliff's humor, I think he has the right to be that way, he usually eventually gives a straight answer. I guess this time you're SOL, lol.

I'm fine. I'm curious about what it's doing, but I'm not personally put out by the idea of not knowing. I'm just kind of disgusted with how rude some of the people on the forum can be, and it's occasionally hard to just ignore it.

I think it's awfully arrogant to assume that your opinion on what matters and what doesn't should be treated as law, and use that to judge others as "arrogant."

You and some others seem to be missing the actual point here though. The issue being taken with the response is not that it's not giving some kind of detailed, "needs an electrical engineering degree to understand" type of response (which, until recently, was the norm for how Cliff would generally answer questions like this, because, you know, he's basing his business on the idea that the unit is replicating real world hardware), the issue that people seem to be taking is that it's a non-answer.

I'm sure the people asking would be happy with:

"It replicates X"
"It's not replicating anything"
or
"I refuse to divulge what it's doing." (which he has not said at all)

Instead, people that are using the unit in various ways (some of which are dependent upon replicating real amp rigs accurately, which is something that a number of people on this forum completely negate every time they write off someone's questions with "just use your ears") are getting the answer "crunch does crunch." Which is as non-answer as you can get.

"So, let me show you all the ins and outs of this car you're buying."
"And what does that little red button do?"
"Oh, that's the Schwoop button."
"What does it do?"
"It adds schwoop to your drive."
"What does that mean?"
"It makes your rid more schwoopy. Didn't you feel the added schwoopiness when I pressed it while we were on our test drive?"
"I mean... I felt something change while I was driving, but it'd be nice to know exactly what it's doing."
"It increases the schwoopy factor of the car's performance"

Yes, because not knowing what this one knob does is going to cause you to crash your car. Great analogy.

By the way. I stand firmly by my original comment. People need to quit expecting to get their way, it's discourteous, and rude. I don't say this as some sort of "Cliff defense force" I say this as a general rule for everything. It's just not realistic, and all it does is make you look like a jerk. If I were Cliff, I would never let anyone know what it does, simply because people made such a big deal about it. From his perspective I think it's probably quite funny how annoyed people like you are getting, and I kinda hope he takes the joke to the Nth degree.

Oh, and lighten up. :p

Yes, because not knowing what this one knob does is going to cause you to crash your car. Great analogy.

By the way. I stand firmly by my original comment. People need to quit expecting to get their way, it's discourteous, and rude. I don't say this as some sort of "Cliff defense force" I say this as a general rule for everything. It's just not realistic, and all it does is make you look like a jerk. If I were Cliff, I would never let anyone know what it does, simply because people made such a big deal about it. From his perspective I think it's probably quite funny how annoyed people like you are getting, and I kinda hope he takes the joke to the Nth degree.

Oh, and lighten up. :p

Who said anything about a car crashing? There you go, making baseless, incorrect assumptions again. Nothing in my analogy implied the car was going to crash; the analogy was perfect.

Asking a question is not being rude and/or expecting to get their way. Getting a non-response and asking again is not being rude and/or expecting to get their way.

The only person looking like a jerk here is you, so don't tell me to lighten up as though you attempting to negate me pointing out what an ass you're being is the equivalent of not being able to take a joke. I assure you, the astounding amount of jerkish things in your comments is not taking away at all from my general lightened up mood.

My experience has been that knowing what tonal quality a knob affects, based on what I can hear it doing, far outweighs any topography I've learned from Cliff about a knob. I don't hunt and peck, I know exactly what I'm listening for when I turn a knob, and I know what knob I need to tweak when something isn't sounding right, and I have very little knowledge or interest in the technical side. It's all about the sound, otherwise you might as well make a program that picks the most logical settings based on math equations.

Who said anything about a car crashing? There you go, making baseless, incorrect assumptions again. Nothing in my analogy implied the car was going to crash; the analogy was perfect.

Asking a question is not being rude and/or expecting to get their way. Getting a non-response and asking again is not being rude and/or expecting to get their way.

The only person looking like a jerk here is you, so don't tell me to lighten up as though you attempting to negate me pointing out what an ass you're being is the equivalent of not being able to take a joke. I assure you, the astounding amount of jerkish things in your comments is not taking away at all from my general lightened up mood.

No, you clearly eluded that a function in the Axe-FX was as important as a function of a car. I just drew the obvious conclusion that you feel that incorrectly programming your Axe-FX could end you up in a deadly situation.

I don't think the original question is rude, I think the response to the answer we got was rude.

Also, you need to quit taking things so personally. I made a broad statement, you applied it to yourself.

Like I said, lighten up.

there are at least 2 separate discussions going on here:

a) what specifically does the Crunch control do

and

b) is it or is it not ok to use a knob without knowing exactly what it does

since "a" was answered (or non-answered) by cliff directly, most of this thread has been about "b."

therefore some of you are very off topic and should start a new thread in the lounge ;)

EDIT:

Know what...

Scratch that. Whatever. People are obviously intent on being dicks to others on the forum for simply not falling in lock step with how they deem it appropriate to approach things. I'm not going to continue to attempt to point out to you the asinine nature of the things you're saying.

Have a lovely day (Oh, and make sure you don't hit the window button in your car, because the logical conclusion is that it will lead to a deadly situation)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom