Crackling noise when I play... [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've updated my axe fx II to the firmware 3.03beta and the crackling noise is gone :) so the update did help. the overall sound got even better which is great. Did you try contacting support? ask them for that version and hopefully it will work out for u too

I've updated my axe fx II to the firmware 3.03beta and the crackling noise is gone :) so the update did help. the overall sound got even better which is great. Did you try contacting support? ask them for that version and hopefully it will work out for u too
It's available on the supprt page now.. was released last night. No need to contact support.

I've noticed crackling as well, but as per quonsar's post, it only happens when my hand brushes the pickguard (Gibson ES339)? Any known fixes?

I've noticed this only when using the Pitch block using Fixed Harmony -- and when I adjust the Track Adjust knob it goes away with the right setting (emulating a bass was what I was doing).

I've had this too. Happens sporadically and intermittently, definitely not a clipping - seems like a transient digital noise that just occurs. Happens when I play, happens when I rest. Happens through my Macbook Pro's headphone outs as well as the direct out headphones from the Axe-II. It's minimal, and seeing as I haven't dug into serious recording yet, it's not a problem - but I do hope it gets resolved.

I've had this too. Happens sporadically and intermittently, definitely not a clipping - seems like a transient digital noise that just occurs. Happens when I play, happens when I rest. Happens through my Macbook Pro's headphone outs as well as the direct out headphones from the Axe-II. It's minimal, and seeing as I haven't dug into serious recording yet, it's not a problem - but I do hope it gets resolved.

have you updated the firmware?

When I record via USB at home I get the crackle and pop every 30 mins or so and just wait for it to pass then I hit record. It lasts about 10 secs. Don't have the time to do serious troubleshooting to find out what it is. In the studio I always go XLR outs anyway. I use an intel mac mini with 4 gigs of ram thru Ableton Live, though it happens when I use PT9 as well.

have you updated the firmware?

Yes.

But now I am having issues with Edit and Axe handshaking without going into this weird sysex dump loop - rendering it unplayable. So at this point in time, I can only run the Axe-II independently (and I will later today), but I'm more concerned about getting this other [abovementioned] issue tackled. When I do try it this afternoon - with the new 3.04 FW, I'll see if it it still there - pickguards, different guitars, etc.

Thanks.

When I record via USB at home I get the crackle and pop every 30 mins or so and just wait for it to pass then I hit record. It lasts about 10 secs. Don't have the time to do serious troubleshooting to find out what it is. In the studio I always go XLR outs anyway. I use an intel mac mini with 4 gigs of ram thru Ableton Live, though it happens when I use PT9 as well.

This is a known issue with the Mac driver. All we are allowed to say is that "they are working on it".

This is a known issue with the Mac driver. All we are allowed to say is that "they are working on it".

Thanks so much. Without mission drifting, what's up with this sudden rash of people having looping sysex dump errors with any of the recent - including the latest - FW and AE-ver?? I'm one of them and it's rendering my ability to work through my DAW ineffective/impossible.

Cheers

Thanks so much. Without mission drifting, what's up with this sudden rash of people having looping sysex dump errors with any of the recent - including the latest - FW and AE-ver?? I'm one of them and it's rendering my ability to work through my DAW ineffective/impossible.

Cheers

Can you point me to other reports besides your own? I am not seeing any.

FractalAudio said:

Great to know at last.... It's been driving me and others nuts.

Thanks for the update

Well here's the noise on the latest firmware. I was hoping it was gone:

I had trouble hearing in the original post (as I think I stated), but to be honest.. I can't hear anything on this one. Maybe it's an age thing, but it sounds really clean!!

UPDATE: Really CRANKED this clip on my reference monitors at home this am and I can now hear the "noise" on the left side only. To be honest, from what I hear it's BARELY there, and is so IMPERCEPTIBLE that [IMHO] it's not going to be heard live or a recording. Add all the other instruments into a mix and you never hear. It sounds like some kind of interference, or shielding imperfection. I could barely hear it - even cranked. At normal listening levels I did not hear it, even when listening specifically for it. My $0.02

Last edited:
I clearly hear the crackling on both clips, but I also hear other interference as well (buzzing). The source could be almost anything.

In the first clip, the crackling is mostly on the right side. On the second clip, it is in both channels.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I would try taking the Axe to a new location, recording it on a different computer, with a different guitar and cable.

I clearly hear the crackling on both clips, but I also hear other interference as well (buzzing). The source could be almost anything.

In the first clip, the crackling is mostly on the right side. On the second clip, it is in both channels.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I would try taking the Axe to a new location, recording it on a different computer, with a different guitar and cable.

thanks for listening!
Buzzing on the second clip b/c i didn't have the noise gate on. That's just the amp sim.

The crackling is definitely more prevalent on one side, almost non-existent on the other. The first clip had an enhancer so it brought that out. the second clip is mono so the noise is on both sides.

I don't have to take the axe to a new location - just have to reboot it and the problem is gone! The problem occurs every few days -especially if its been on for a long time and once it happens, it happens with every guitar, every cable, and every preset until I reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom