Countdown 0.5...

I stand by my call from several months ago.. no wait that was only 2 or 3 days ago.. :)

New hardware lineup, great new features and formats, assembled in China (like the MFC). No more supply issues.

Guys keep saying "why new hardware when they can't keep the current ones in stock?". Well, that's the whole problem right there! My guess is the US contract manufacturer is maxed out and simply can't scale up to the numbers Fractal is growing into. Cliff has no choice here. If he wants to grow the business, offshore assembly is the only answer at any price.

If the above is true, this is the perfect time to update hardware designs as well. Suppose for some reason Cliff wanted the new CM to just build Ultras and Standards to identical specs as the old ones (A 6 or 7 year old design that Cliff did himself). This would still be a brand new item from the perspective of a big factory in China. They have to all get tooled up, get all the parts, program the assembly line robots. This is the same if not more effort as tooling up to build a NEW design (that naturally would include USB, headphone jack, more rom\ram, etc.) They might even have ways to build it better AND cheaper at the same time, such as fitting the whole thing into a 1U enclosure, or a floorboard that looks a lot like the MFC-101.

Costs go down, supply availability goes up. Even if there are no radical core technology changes (i.e. the same firmware runs), many existing owners will pony up cash to upgrade and get the new features. This is something you can't do with Ultras and Standards right now.. sell them to existing owners, most of whom are dedicated, rabid fans.

One more prediction..

Cliff will announce he's getting a bigger car to drop off outgoing orders every day at Fedex. (he's gonna need it :)

Whatever it is,.....Cliff,Danielle...PUT ME ON THE LIST(if there is any),I want to be first,I must have it!
Please confirm!
Got this ?

You gotta update the firmware through MIDI. So time to bust out that commodore 64 and wait for another ten days :lol
Dammit!...I just threw away my Atari 128. Used it for the very 1st MIDI program (MIDI TRACK) on the market back in 1984.

Clues:
1. Countdown
2. Cliff's comments: a) won't be disappointed; b) forgot none of the above
3. Possible supply disruption for current models
4. Axe-Edit release AWOL
5. No releases of faster DSP processors
6. B-stock option in the store
7. Current demand exceeds supply

1. Confirmed by 2a, indicates a significant product announcement. Duh.

2a. Can be interpreted to mean that the new announcement enhances the lives of all, including current owners. Or in context it could refer to the countdown being something that will be seen as significant.

2b. Can be interpreted to mean that the poll choices were all off-the-mark, but doesn't have to be. Assumption is that Cliff won't lie to us but might make remarks that can be misinterpreted.

3. Could be related to production bottlenecks related to a new product, intent to clean out existing supply before replacing an old product, higher demand than forecast, or supply disruptions due events beyond Cliff's control.

4. Could indicate that a new version of Axe-Edit needs to stay under wraps until the announcement.

5. Implies it won't be driven by increase in raw computing speeds.

6. If related to a product being replaced or updated there was no need to make this visible before the announcement.

7. Indicates current models are still viable in the market, giving Cliff flexibility to expand in a different direction.

my question is if Cliff is expanding into a different type of product that compliments the axe fx, where can he expand to? The axe is basically a do all end all for a good portion of people and the atomic amps offer an affordable full range speaker system. The only thing I can think of is axe guitar. Or axe microphones.

Unless Cliff had a breakthrough and solved the problem of parallel processing latency on the tigerSharc, or has been co-developing a faster processor in secret, I doubt we’ll be seeing a newer/stronger/better/faster version of the Axe-Fx hardware.

I think it’s far more likely that we’ll be seeing a major firmware update with lots of added amps/fx/other features, perhaps even underlying architecture changes. That’s the only thing I can think of that would satisfy Cliff’s claim that we “won’t be disappointed,” given current hardware limitations. I say MAJOR firmware update, because nothing else could justify a build-up of this magnitude. Unless of course, Cliff has realized that he can dish out all the abuse he wants, and like good little slaves we’ll just keep coming back for more. :D

Of course, the alternative is different hardware. I.E. a floor unit or Axe-PC. And I really hope it’s neither of those, because I could give a flying #@%$ about either one. :)

my question is if Cliff is expanding into a different type of product that compliments the axe fx, where can he expand to? The axe is basically a do all end all for a good portion of people and the atomic amps offer an affordable full range speaker system. The only thing I can think of is axe guitar. Or axe microphones.

Axe-Xpression pedals?
Axe-Wireless system
Axe-Cases (for MFC-101 and Axe-FX units)

I think it’s far more likely that we’ll be seeing a major firmware update with lots of added amps/fx/other features, perhaps even underlying architecture changes. That’s the only thing I can think of that would satisfy Cliff’s claim that we “won’t be disappointed,” given current hardware limitations. I say MAJOR firmware update, because nothing else could justify a build-up of this magnitude.

this

Easy way to connect the Axe-FX and MFC-101 at the same time and edit both, release Axe-Edit/Librarian (with artist patches), and firmware updates? Way cool...I'll pay good money for dis!

Axe-Xpression pedals?
Axe-Wireless system
Axe-Cases (for MFC-101 and Axe-FX units)

The first two I can see something going, but cases are cases. I guess I mean compliment as in making another product that can be used other than decoration/protection. Not quite sure how to word it though.

Hey I got one.

What if Cliff somehow with his algorithms and magical voodoo genius made it so that the axe fx acts as the dongle for axe pc? And the full blown axe edit aside from all that it does makes the axe like a standalone program? The only problem is... MIDI only sends commands and not sound correct? If this is the case, then maybe Cliff made an add on so that somehow the axe could be usb or firewire so that it could transmit sound.

Unless Cliff had a breakthrough...
He's famous for those!

...and solved the problem of parallel processing latency on the tigerSharc, or has been co-developing a faster processor in secret, I doubt we’ll be seeing a newer/stronger/better/faster version of the Axe-Fx hardware.
I don't get this arguement. There's plenty of good reasons for a hardware update that have nothing to do with DSP, as I previously suggested. Maybe the new flagship won't be faster, but it can still be newer/stronger/better.

I think new hardware is a no-brainer from a business perspective. The question is, what form(s) and price points will it take?

Hey I got one.

What if Cliff somehow with his algorithms and magical voodoo genius made it so that the axe fx acts as the dongle for axe pc? And the full blown axe edit aside from all that it does makes the axe like a standalone program? The only problem is... MIDI only sends commands and not sound correct? If this is the case, then maybe Cliff made an add on so that somehow the axe could be usb or firewire so that it could transmit sound.

So... I've been saying this repeatedly! BINGO!

Back
Top Bottom