Conference Championships Gift Of Tone

Here's a cab IR from something has been hinted about. This is a "mystery" mic that has become my favorite condenser type.

The cab is a Mesa 4x12 OS. The mic is 3cm from the center.
Nice sounding IR! The sound is luscious!

I'm thinking of plugging it into one of my favorite presets to replace dual Allesandro 1x12s.

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if thousands of legacy IRs were suddenly about to cry out in terror and then be silenced."
:tearsofjoy:

Tho: I hope not in practice. I don't know if FAS can (or should) de-commission the current CAB/IR scheme as 1000s and 1000s of users and presets depend on the current design. IIRC there doesn't seem to be avail NV memory to add a complex additional IR scheme -- unless it has a pretty small FW+NV memory footprint. (Or maybe there could be a 1:1 translation process from IRs to new scheme, but that wouldn't work for 3rd party IRs.)

My guess would be only an option for MK II users that would supplement the current CAB block design ("Increased non-volatile user data memory for future upgrades (i.e. more IR storage)". Or else there might be a separate FW branch :fearscream: for those who want to go all in on a new scheme, forgoing the current one.

(Cliff, chide me now for how wrong I am!)

Last edited:
Interesting.... the first peak is at about 140mm in the Align tab. In order to blend with other IR's I had to bump them to 140mm to stop the phasing. Is this by design? Either way, it sounds delicious alone or blended with proper alignment.

Interesting.... the first peak is at about 140mm in the Align tab. In order to blend with other IR's I had to bump them to 140mm to stop the phasing. Is this by design? Either way, it sounds delicious alone or blended with proper alignment.
Typically the IRs are trimmed so that initial 140 ms will be removed. Use the IR as a single cab and the Cab block will do it for you IIRC.

A FullRes IR could have that leading gap because the mic was actually positioned at that distance. I lean toward it not being trimmed though.

Cliff will reveal all "soon". And, yes, it's a gorgeous-sounding IR.

Last edited:
Ooof I like this a lot, seems to be something mighty tasty going on with the mids, not overbearing, just present, very nice!

Thanks to FAS!

I just upgraded to a Mark II partially in anticipation of whatever cab block craziness is about to be unleashed. That extra flash memory is gonna come into play somewhere...maybe. Knowing my luck, they'll be announcing the Mark III in the next few hours.

I really like the results I got using this IR with the Plexi 100 Jumped and a Les Paul style guitar! The cab sim on its own is thick yet "clean" sounding without being tubby.

Compared to the Pre-Rola 57 + 121 factory IRs I used in this preset normally, I had to dial the amp with a bit more presence to bring out a bit more "sizzle"

I really like the results I got using this IR with the Plexi 100 Jumped and a Les Paul style guitar! The cab sim on its own is thick yet "clean" sounding without being tubby.
I was running it in presets based on
  • an edge of breakup Blackface Deluxe
  • a cranked up Mesa Mark IV
  • an ODS-100 Ford
using my PRS Studio. The nature of the Narrowfield pickups really came through.

I was really impressed when I hit some muted low E chugs and the cabinet’s resonance came through loud and clear. I haven’t noticed it ever sounding so good when listening to other IRs.

It’s not got the thump of a typical 4x12 cab, and when I rolled off the lows at about 70 Hz it sounded great with the Deluxe.

I’m intrigued.

I bet its a Neumann TLM 103… and I bet the crazy bastards at Fractal are getting into Mic modeling independent of the cab.
the return of mic modeling 🙏. But i doubt it will be on axe 3 if it returns 🫤 , they won’t change the whole cab block . A new block ? Hmm . But the cpu? Maybe not a problem. Line 6 said that their « new mini cab visual thing à la neural » use less cpu then their basic ir /cab block
We will see!

I'd say a bit more "sparkle" and or overall clarity/definition, less CPU usage, but the sound of this unit already is so good that I would not go into any audiophile type of discussion about this.

I'd say a bit more "sparkle" and or overall clarity/definition, less CPU usage, but the sound of this unit already is so good that I would not go into any audiophile type of discussion about this.
Hmm.. you're the second person mentioning less cpu usage with this IR. I still haven't tried it myself, but how can that be possible? A new version of ultrares?

Hmm.. you're the second person mentioning less cpu usage with this IR. I still haven't tried it myself, but how can that be possible? A new version of ultrares?
For the concerned patch it is between - 1 to 2%. I also reset the compressor block and reparametered the same as before so that shouldn't change anything.

For the concerned patch it is between - 1 to 2%. I also reset the compressor block and reparametered the same as before so that shouldn't change anything.

Sorry I'm not sure that assertion is correct - it doesn't matter if you have all the compressor set absolutely as before, if it's running the new code (which it has to be if you've upgraded the firmware), any changes to CPU consumption resulting in the changes to the compressor block will be present

Sorry I'm not sure that assertion is correct - it doesn't matter if you have all the compressor set absolutely as before, if it's running the new code (which it has to be if you've upgraded the firmware), any changes to CPU consumption resulting in the changes to the compressor block will be present
Correct, so if there is a change in cpu load at changing the cab block it comes from the cab block (as the FW as already installed).

Back
Top Bottom