Conference Championships Gift Of Tone

I'm getting an equivalent output switching to scene 2 using that preset. An IR shouldn't affect volume as it is normalized by the cab block.

View attachment 116542

Thanks Greg!

Yep, I would normally not include this IR as a reference for my system, but wanted also some high gain cab and this one worked for me. But blending IR's is heavy on CPU and (perceived) volume is giving different results especially with IR's from diffent vendors. This is the only IR that in the output block gave lower volume in output block and definitely for me lowered perceived volume.

Most important is if YOU are happy with the sound and it's working for you and your band or recording than that's it. Like Cliff always say's use you ears, not your eyes. This IR is most probably for high gain amps as with my regular presets it gave -6dB where the volume of output block 1 was not in the red. And could definitely be perceived volume, but when I used it with JP IIC+ amp (yellow) it gave different volume.

I even noticed very small difference when you have 2 of the same IR's in stereo and left and right in the amp and panned in the cabblock also left and right it already gives (for me!) a perceived lowered volume. Lower then 1 dB but higher then 0. But I'm high sensitive and a little nerdy, so maybe it works different for others. For now I alway's use 1 CAB with same IR's in a channel panned left and right. And alway's 2 amps set on stereo. Mostly using the same IR at gigs, so the FOH will not have to EQ between songs.

I purchased some tone packs from third-party vendors and noticed at being quite a few of their presets they used the overhead Mic on a cabinet.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but doesn't the OH at the end of an IR name mean that it was made by OwnHammer? Or are you referencing something else?

From the Wiki
Two or three letters in the name of a factory cab indicates the creator of the IR. Stock cabs without such indication were created by Fractal Audio.

ABAustinBuddy
CELCelestion
DBDr. Bonkers
JM — Jay Mitchell (farfield IRs)
MLML Sound Lab
OHOwnHammer
RWRed Wirez
TAFThe Amp Factory
TS — Chris Traynor and James Santiago
VHValhallir.at
YAYork Audio

Third-party cabs are a different story.

Fractal deliberately obfuscated the actual ID of the cabs to encourage listening to them rather than assuming that the best cab is named a particular thing.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but doesn't the OH at the end of an IR name mean that it was made by OwnHammer? Or are you referencing something else?

I think ownhammer puts their OH at the beginning of an IR. The overhead mic, I believe is signified by OH at the end of the IR. I'm not near my fractal right now so I'll have to check that out. But what I think is an overhead mic is clearly a big difference in sound from the other impulse responses.

From the Wiki

Third-party cabs are a different story.

Fractal deliberately obfuscated the actual ID of the cabs to encourage listening to them rather than assuming that the best cab is named a particular thing.

That's in my eyes an incredibly stupid idea. Better provide people with all info and let them decide which one to use.

In the cab picker window of Axe Edit, all the manufacturer's initials are at the end of the name....ML, VH, OH etc......for factory cabs anyway.

Last edited:
That's in my eyes an incredibly stupid idea. Better provide people with all info and let them decide which one to use.
Take it up with Fractal, but it’s been that way for ages.

"When I was capturing IRs I specifically chose to obfuscate the names to force people to use there ears. Matt had suggested, i.e., 4x12 Brit V30 Speaker 1 Cap SM57. I said "Nope, 4x12 Brit V30 SM57 A. That will force people to listen rather than choosing with their eyes." [1]

I think ownhammer puts their OH at the beginning of an IR. The overhead mic, I believe is signified by OH at the end of the IR. I'm not near my fractal right now so I'll have to check that out. But what I think is an overhead mic is clearly a big difference in sound from the other impulse responses.
I think you like Ownhammer IRs. I’ve never heard of an overhead mic for guitar. Not saying it’s never been done, just that I’ve never heard of it.

Last edited:
Nonononono

"OH" at the end of an IR name means "OwnHammer", not "overhead."

Just tried the IR.

Not my taste but… it’s so clean, open and clear!

I want the same qualities but with legacy 60 and 61 now!!! :)

Here's a cab IR from something has been hinted about. This is a "mystery" mic that has become my favorite condenser type.

The cab is a Mesa 4x12 OS. The mic is 3cm from the center.
Nice. Actually sounds pretty similar to my fave Legacy factory IR's, ML's TV MIX C1 and C4. But phase is 140mm off from those factory presets.

Back
Top Bottom