Condensation under LCD Screen?

UPDATE: I put 3 Silica Gel packets on my LCD panel over the spots and sealed it with painters tape and clear plastic wrap for 4 days. No change in appearance. It seems that it is not condensation but a leftover residue from the "hard Arizona water" that I was using in my humidifier. So I think short of disassembling the AxeFx I am stuck with the issue :(
Yikes. You should always use distilled water in an ultrasonic humidifier. Otherwise you're breathing all that cr@p. Or use an old-fashioned thermal humidifier.

Yeah we've got tons of calcium and lime in our water, so if I use tap water in my humidifier at home, the area around it looks like it's been dusted with flour after a while. I've had to resort to distilled water or just boiling water on the stove the old fashioned way. At least that way, all the crud stays in the pot.

Yeah we've got tons of calcium and lime in our water, so if I use tap water in my humidifier at home, the area around it looks like it's been dusted with flour after a while. I've had to resort to distilled water or just boiling water on the stove the old fashioned way. At least that way, all the crud stays in the pot.
Arizona water is hard. Even harder out here in San Tan Valley with the Creen Queek municipal water company, as it is pumped from wells, and likely full of farm fertilizers and who knows what else. Thankfully not much old industry out this way, since it is still kinda the boonies, even with recent development, so not too many places for nasty industrial chemicals to have been dumped in the desert, like up in Phoenix near the Papago Buttes and a couple other places....

Arizona water is hard. Even harder out here in San Tan Valley with the Creen Queek municipal water company, as it is pumped from wells, and likely full of farm fertilizers and who knows what else. Thankfully not much old industry out this way, since it is still kinda the boonies, even with recent development, so not too many places for nasty industrial chemicals to have been dumped in the desert, like up in Phoenix near the Papago Buttes and a couple other places....
The water is hard and is getting worse every year as they suck all the water from the various aquifers. And when the rivers and lakes finally run dry….

Since this post of mine recently got some attention I thought that I would share my results and learnings......

1. As for the Original issues of how to get the mineral dust/condensation off my AXE FX. After contacting Fractal support they gave me detailed instructions on how do disassemble the unit so I could access and clean the behind the clear display. I was able to wipe off all of the mineral dust.
Its been many months (maybe almost a year) since I cleaned it. This did not affect my warrenty that has since expired.

2 Since them I switched to ONLY using Distilled water and do not have any condensation issues on my screen or white mineral dust on my guitars

PROBLEM SOLVED Thanks to Fractal's great customer support and I am breathing cleaner air !

I wish there was a cheap way of making copious amounts of distilled water. Even at a dollar a gallon, putting it in my humidifier is way too expensive.

Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't have anything to do with humidity? Has anyone confirmed it actually is humidity and not something to do with the the construction of the screen itself?

Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't have anything to do with humidity? Has anyone confirmed it actually is humidity and not something to do with the the construction of the screen itself?
Yes, you're probably the only one ;)
Since this post of mine recently got some attention I thought that I would share my results and learnings......

1. As for the Original issues of how to get the mineral dust/condensation off my AXE FX. After contacting Fractal support they gave me detailed instructions on how do disassemble the unit so I could access and clean the behind the clear display. I was able to wipe off all of the mineral dust.
Its been many months (maybe almost a year) since I cleaned it. This did not affect my warrenty that has since expired.

2 Since them I switched to ONLY using Distilled water and do not have any condensation issues on my screen or white mineral dust on my guitars

PROBLEM SOLVED Thanks to Fractal's great customer support and I am breathing cleaner air !

All it takes for condensation is a humid atmosphere and an item being lower than the dew point. If the front of the unit was getting blown on by an a/c duct, the inside would likely become wet, and then when it evaporated, any minerals in that water get deposited. IIRC, the OP mentioned using an ultrasonic humidifier with tap water....

I was skeptical at first, but eventually the ultrasonic humidifier in my room duplicated the same problem. The screens on my FX3, and my iMac Pro, have the same problem, airflow from the cooling fan pulled in air from the room past the screen and the internal heat evaporated the moisture leaving mineral deposits on the screen glass.

Opening the FX3 is one thing. Opening the iMac to clean it will be a big problem.

Back
Top Bottom