Compressor Trick

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
You can use the Compressor block as a "Clarity" control. Set the sidechain high-cut to around 100 Hz. [EDIT: 200 Hz] Now low notes will get compressed more than high notes. This will make the lows clearer when digging in. This is like a variable high-pass filter that gets more intense the harder you play. When you play lightly the compressor will do nothing. As you play harder low frequencies will have less gain than high frequencies.

For a more intense effect use the filter section of the sidechain. Set the type to lowpass and adjust the frequency to taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use the Compressor block as a "Clarity" control. Set the sidechain high-cut to around 100 Hz. Now low notes will get compressed more than high notes. This will make the lows clearer when digging in. This is like a variable high-pass filter that gets more intense the harder you play. When you play lightly the compressor will do nothing. As you play harder low frequencies will have less gain than high frequencies.

For a more intense effect use the filter section of the sidechain. Set the type to lowpass and adjust the frequency to taste.
Thanks for this tip! Can't wait to get home from work and try it out!

You can use the Compressor block as a "Clarity" control. Set the sidechain high-cut to around 100 Hz. Now low notes will get compressed more than high notes. This will make the lows clearer when digging in. This is like a variable high-pass filter that gets more intense the harder you play. When you play lightly the compressor will do nothing. As you play harder low frequencies will have less gain than high frequencies.

Hey Cliff, I can only get the sidechain high-cut to go down to 200 Hz. Did you mean the low cut? Thanks!

More Awesomeness from the Man with the badass plan! Thanks. :)

Is there any preference regarding putting the compressor block for this before or after the amp/cab?

In this particular application, I think Cliff's talking about after the Cab ( kinda like would be done in a studio ) ....

Side chaining comps and gates have been my secret weapons for years and the reason I bought my first Axe-Fx II Mk I. In my DAW I take it a step further and use Multi-band comps and side-chain the individual bands.

Great! Thank you for the information

Sometimes I've tried to achieve that with the multi-band compressor. I am going to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom