Coming Soon

Does anyone else find it interesting they're even doing a product specifically meant for guys who don't use amp modelling? I mean, from a brand positioning POV?

Maybe it's just me, but I've always mentally equated Fractal to Amp Modelling. The FX are great, but the REAL story has always been the Amp block. The first legit, no-compromise digital box that can 'really' replace tube amps, even for top pros, producers and the most demanding amp-tone cork-sniffers of the world. It seems like Fractal has been on a mission to win over the anti-digital tube superiority mindset from day one, and they have succeeded - big time. It's even being called 'historic'.

Now they turn around and release the FX8, a product that says " Hey, we know that amp modelling is still not good enough for a lot of you, so here's an FX-only product we hope you'll like."

I know this unit has it's place and will sell tons, but I find it interesting. Just discussion fodder really. Maybe I shoulda been a marketing guy...

pretty ridiculous notion there, dude. opening up your business to another market segment is just smart business, period. it's not an admission of inadequacy of the modeling.

Does anyone else find it interesting they're even doing a product specifically meant for guys who don't use amp modelling? I mean, from a brand positioning POV?

Maybe it's just me, but I've always mentally equated Fractal to Amp Modelling. The FX are great, but the REAL story has always been the Amp block. The first legit, no-compromise digital box that can 'really' replace tube amps, even for top pros, producers and the most demanding amp-tone cork-sniffers of the world. It seems like Fractal has been on a mission to win over the anti-digital tube superiority mindset from day one, and they have succeeded - big time. It's even being called 'historic'.

Now they turn around and release the FX8, a product that says " Hey, we know that amp modelling is still not good enough for a lot of you, so here's an FX-only product we hope you'll like."

I know this unit has it's place and will sell tons, but I find it interesting. Just discussion fodder really. Maybe I shoulda been a marketing guy...

Axe FX was an effect modeller before an amp modeller.

To be honest, I would have never bought the axe fx ultra for the amp models in the first place for me. I was pretty much a say no to modeling tube snob. I bought the ultra for the effects and used it with a tube head. However, it got me introduced to the forum and helped me see the II and the sound clips. Well I was then actually sold into the modeling. Not to mention the models even in the ultra were a fun added bonus and pretty darn good as well. Much better than anything else I heard.

My point, this FX8, might bring some tube snob guys on board. It won't hurt fractal at all because the FX are quite awesome as well. Just upholds their credibility IMO

Now they turn around and release the FX8, a product that says " Hey, we know that amp modelling is still not good enough for a lot of you, so here's an FX-only product we hope you'll like."...Maybe I shoulda been a marketing guy...
There are people who love their tube amps, and that's just the way it is. Either you have a product to sell them or you don't. Which is the better marketing strategy?

I know I pissing in the wind on this. But how about a similar kidney bean device with amps and 8 effects????? This would make my life 100times better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, if anything I see it as an acknowledgement from Fractal Audio that most guitar players are usually gigantic luddites when it comes to literally any advance in guitar technology whatsoever, so Fractal is trying to help them ease into the future by offering a toe-in-the-water solution for giving traditional players exposure to the idea that digital tech isn't necessarily the literal anti-Christ.

"See, these effects aren't so bad. Actually, they're pretty sweet. Oh and by the way you can arrange them over and over until they're perfect for you while never having to change power supplies or diagnose a dead cable even once. Maybe this digital stuff isn't so bad after all. What's that, you're hearing how great the effects are and so you want to try out our amp modeling too? Well we just might have something for that..."

Reactions: ALE
Axe FX was an effect modeller before an amp modeller.

Isn't there an interview out there somewhere that Cliff mentions it all started because he didn't like the way other hardware units implemented reverb or something along those lines? I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with amp modeling.

I don't think you should have been a marketing guy.

Having built the mothership Fractal are diffusing the technology onto other sectors of the target market. Guitarists are among the most conservative people in terms of gear and many will never part with their valve amps (me included - I like using both).

It's simply good business.

Reactions: ALE
Now they turn around and release the FX8, a product that says " Hey, we know that amp modelling is still not good enough for a lot of you, so here's an FX-only product we hope you'll like.".

IMO, It has nothing to do with the Amp Modeling being good enough, instead, it has everything to do with providing more options, and allowing those that only want effects to enjoy what Fractal has to offer without having to drop $2500 for the Axe FX II, and another $1000 for the MFC.

I'm not sure where you are in your gear/tone quest, but for the majority in the infancy of their journey, this product will be a huge addition provided the price is not retardedly expensive, and sorry but IMO the effects are top of the line, knowledge of how to use those effects is generally the issue around here.

I wanted this a month ago.It can't come out soon enough.

I went back to a '79 Marshall JMP MkII (modded for more gain and has an FX loop) after 2 or 3 years using the AFXII. I loved the AFXII but found myself only using 1 amp in the box and not utilizing all of those options. If I have more than 6 to 8 knobs or options I can get lost in it so I just had to go back to an amp.

I do find myself missing the plethora of effects and routing options though. I have been considering a multi-effects unit but cannot pull the trigger. I've used the M9, GT-10, TC stuff but none of them seem right. I also considered pedals with a G-Lab pedal switcher but the patch cables and power supplies make me want to throw up. Then I see this thing. Hallelujah!!! Again Fractal blows my mind.

My rig would be a pedalboard with the FX8 a volume, 2 mission exp pedals, and a tuner into the Marshall with a Mather 2x12 ported cab. The amp and cab already sound glorious so the FX8 would be the special sauce and would make a very portable rig. When I had the AFXII I carried a 4 space rack, a powered wedge, and the pedalboard with the MFC so this would be about the same size.

Mark me down for 1 the second they come out.

Amen

IMO, It has nothing to do with the Amp Modeling being good enough, instead, it has everything to do with providing more options, and allowing those that only want effects to enjoy what Fractal has to offer without having to drop $2500 for the Axe FX II, and another $1000 for the MFC.

I'm not sure where you are in your gear/tone quest, but for the majority in the infancy of their journey, this product will be a huge addition provided the price is not retardedly expensive, and sorry but IMO the effects are top of the line, knowledge of how to use those effects is generally the issue around here.

Wow. I didn't get out of this porudct being launched at all what you got out of it. I find it interesting that they're doing a product that is meant for people who don't use modellers because that's a huge untapped market segment for them. I think it's a brilliant move for them to be able to sell into both crowds now. If you like modelling here's the AxeFx. If you don't like modelling, no worries, here's the FX8. If anything this a statement that Fractal's effects are stellar rather any statement about the amp/cab modelling.

Does anyone else find it interesting they're even doing a product specifically meant for guys who don't use amp modeling? I mean, from a brand positioning POV?

Maybe it's time to expand our view of their point. Perhaps we need to look at them as a company that simply make stuff for guitar players. :)

In particular for the FX8, there is a large number of people who use the Axe-Fx for it's effects & configurability. For that purpose it's an extremely logical step.

Exactly. The effects are tweakable to the point of being able to come pretty close to sounding like effects that aren't in the box, as evidenced by the "Mother of All..." threads. A person buying the FX8 will have the effects we have and - I would think - the tweak parameters we have as well. This will compete with items like Line 6's M9 and M13 series quite handily.

I have a Line6 M9 on my "grab and go" pedalboard for small gigs and fly dates. It's pretty good, and I have been satisfied enough with it to keep it around. The FX8 may be a big step up for my "small" setup. I love my AxeFX II XL + MFC-101 MkIII setup. However, for small / logistically challenging (quick setup festival shows with backline provided, or one-off fly dates where gear cartage is illogical), this could be a lovely solution.

No, why should it? They've always had world-class effects in the AxeFX units. And plenty of users utilize these products in conjunction with amps as effects units, but I don't think I've ever heard of anybody using *just* the amp models on the AxeFX and offloading all the effects to other devices.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always mentally equated Fractal to Amp Modelling.

Perhaps your perception is what needs re-evaluating, not Fractal's product strategy. And I don't mean that maliciously, but when something doesn't make sense to you it's a good idea to step back and consider all the angles.

If this had existed before the Standard I may never have bought into the Standard for live use. This is the type of routing and capability I was looking for. The countless hours trying different pedals and re-cabling a pedal board was getting old. The Line6 M13 was nice but not quite what I was looking for. When my amp head blew I started using my Standard temporarily, which became permanent. I bought the standard for use at the house in my office. If I had the FX8 I may have just bought another amp head to use until mine was repaired.

Using the standard with the grid routing was just what I wanted. You could reconfigure a pedalboard on the fly and I could have different delays and drive pedals quickly and easily. The amp modeling just got better and better.

If I was still using an amp I would be all over this.

I am the perfect example of why this product is needed. If money would have allowed me to keep the AFXII and use it just for effects, I would have. Unfortunately I am not an über rich rockstar so the AFXII had to go to allow for funding the other gear. Plus it also would have meant carrying around a rack on top of the new stuff. Trying to keep things small nowadays. So this thing IS the perfect solution for my needs. I think it is fantastic that Fractal is including everyone under their umbrella. Spreading the disease!!! Ha.

Back
Top Bottom