CLR Passive vs. Active wedge

Randy4Guitars

Power User
I recall reading there is really no audible difference, but I've been searching and can't find any posts about this. Can you guys please tell me if there is any advantage to getting the CLR active wedge vs. the passive wedge that I would power with a matrix gt800fx?

Thx in advance

The word I've heard is that they sound the same, though I don't have any personal experience to back that up.

That said, the active wedge has onboard DSP that lets you optimize for placement (wedge, backline or stand-mounted). The word on the street is that this optimization works well. If that's the case, I don't see how the active and passive wedges can sound the same in all positions.

I would lean toward the active, since it is basically bi-amped. Although you could do some corrective EQ'ing with the passive CLR for different cab positions, my guess is it wouldn't be quite the same. Could be wrong, but those are my thoughts.

I would agree with the previous posts. I think the best question you could ask yourself is are you going to use the CLR in any other position besides the wedge position (Atomic calls this "Tilt")? If you intend to put it up on a pole, or use it as a backline, then I too would suggest the active version. If the wedge position is primarily where you're going to use it, my suggestion would be go passive, and use your Matrix to power it. I've heard the passive CLR wedge powered with a Matrix GT800FX (mine!), and it sounded very good. I did not try it in any other positions besides the wedge position, which according to Tom with Atomic is the flattest position. Hope this helps some!

I have thought about the same thing as OP, but I have concluded that I want two active wedges iso two passive with a rack mounted amp. Besides reasons already mentioned, I would like to add:

• the difference in weight is neglible, only 1 lb
  • the price difference is small
  • added versatility and redundancy with two active cabs vs two passive
  • cleaner and lighter rack

I've got a passive CLR that I power with a Matrix GT800fx. For the first time I am truly satisfied with the Axe II. I always felt like I was missing something through other speakers. FWIW, I used it all summer on a pole and it sounded very clear with many instruments run through my mixer board to it. It sounds great with bass, keyboards and vocals. I like that I have the flexibility to go to a regular speaker cabinet with that set up should I want to. All in all, I'd say that it would be a very flexible and satisfying rig for you.

Hi guys and thanks for your responses. I came down with some funky illness that had me out for awhile so just getting back into things.

I think I would prefer the active, but I have a dilemma. The main reason I want to get a CLR is to compare to my Xitone to see if I'd like to switch, so I'm thinking I need to use the same amp for both. But on the other hand, I'd like to hear it sound the best that it can. So, I'm in a holding pattern with this...

But, during my respite I started jones'n for a PRS DGT. I'm really happy with the Xitone and doubt I would want to switch, so I think I'll hold off on the CLR for awhile and use the funds for a new geetar!

Buy the active, solder on some speaker wire and install a jack on the back and now you have a active/passive hybrid

Buy the active, solder on some speaker wire and install a jack on the back and now you have a active/passive hybrid

Is this possible? I have 2 active cabs on order but also have a Matrix GT1000FX that I would love to use it with.

Thanks,
D

Is this possible? I have 2 active cabs on order but also have a Matrix GT1000FX that I would love to use it with.

Thanks,
D

One issue that immediately comes to mind is that you'd have no crossover. It's biamped so the crossover is before the power amps. There's no way to run a speaker level signal through the built-in one.

Thought I read that with the Matrix CFR active wedge you can leave the power disconnected and power it from an external amp!

i just don't see why anyone wouldn't want the active version....even if you have a poweramp already, sell it to fund the active....

Those reasons and...
I wanted to compare the CLR to the Xitone wedge using the same amp. I'm curious to hear any differences.
I already have an amp I'm happy with and don't want to spend the extra $ if I don't have to. I have three passive cabs that I power with a matrix. I doubt the CLR is enough of a difference to bother with selling my other gear. I love my Xitones and doubt they are going anywhere for quite a while.
I also think there will be better amps in the future, as you can't stop progress, and I'd like the option to use those better amps.

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom