CLR Passive vs. Active wedge

OK, I'm BACK! I am now planning to get an Atomic CLR and use that with my AFX-II. I'll keep my Equator D-5's for my computer and AFX II for now and return the $700 Yamaha HS8's and Rokit 8 Gen3. I put an e-mail to get on "The List". I will make this short and sweet this time. I am learning:mrgreen.

OK, decided to get active, why not, then no $850 Power amp AND a speaker. I placed a request for 1 Active Wedge. For me playing at home, would a Wedge be Better than a Box? I don't need VOLUME with 2, but will I miss out much on having 2 wedges so I get a stereo sound, or will 1 Wedge for MY USE, be just fine?

My reasons for the Wedge and Active are:

-Wedge you can use as a "Wedge", OR stand it up and it basically acts like a Box, or pole mount it on a PA speaker stand. Has a switch on the Rear to allow the speaker to compensate for either of the 3 scenarios. Seems versatile................
I was thinking have the Single Wedge in front of me on the floor so the sound shoots up am me in the face since I almost always play sitting down anyway.
-$999 and a FREE 15 day Trial, what do I have to lose?

Nothing...you're learning! That's my setup too...pair of Equator D5's...and a pair of active CLR wedges on the way. I don't need 2 wedges, but playing through them stereo is heaven!
The D5's sound very good with the CLR also...I think you'll be happy.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul. I might get 2 also, but for now 1 will tell me if it is the ticket. Have you ALREADY ordered your wedges? or are YOO also on the wait list?

Yes...bigger better and more transparent. Put it this way. Having owned the D5's since late April, I've had plenty of time to dial in presets with them. Now when I feed those same patches into a CLR alone I can "fix" what I couldn't hear with the D5's alone. You gotta hear it firsthand with your own ears...so when you send the presets back through the D5's and A/B the before and after...you'll see. Awesome!

OK, it was a PITA, but I returned the Yamaha HS8's and the Rokit * Gen3 to Guitar Center. I hate returning stuff. I feel bad for the guys. And I returned the Pre Sonus E8's which I liked, but they were too big for my desk. Got $1,200 back. Now I have my Equator D5's on each side of my Computer Monitor and it is nice and neat and serves the purpose for Music and AFX II. I WILL buy 1 Powered Atomic CLR Wedge as it will be basically what I returned the studio monitors for.

The D5's are OK, but they ARE small so I am sure a 12" speaker will handle clean and heavy patches much easier as you really can't expect that much from a 5" speaker, but these Equators are great little speakers.

Back
Top Bottom