Cliff - Slope resistor?

simeon

Axe-Master
Kossoff -

> In live shows supporting “Tons of Sobs,” Koss began using a 100-watt Marshall Super Lead head with dual 4×12 Marshall cabinets equipped with bass speakers, which he felt had a more rounded tone than the guitar speakers.

> His ‘69 Super Bass had a mid ‘69 metal panel. It was an absolutely fantastic sounding amp. It had ‘his’ tone no matter where you put the controls (they really didn’t do much). It was stupid loud. The mains was one of the high-current ones.

> The biggest change [in that '69 Super Bass] was the slope resister was a 33k, and it had the additional .68uf cap in the tone stack. The other caps were right for a Super Bass (250pf/500pf):

- Standard Super Bass shared cathode
- 33k slope with 250pf treble cap
- Looks like a 100k feedback resistor
- v2 bypass cap is a .68
- .005?? [not sure] on the volume control

> Almost the perfect mix and match of Lead and Bass components – probably as thick as a milkshake with tons of undertones.

i understand the slope resistor changes the tonestack freq. the 100 plexi has this set at 600hz...what would a 33k resistor do to this value? and can we mimic any of the other changes too?

thanks!

Kossoff -

> In live shows supporting “Tons of Sobs,” Koss began using a 100-watt Marshall Super Lead head with dual 4×12 Marshall cabinets equipped with bass speakers, which he felt had a more rounded tone than the guitar speakers.

> His ‘69 Super Bass had a mid ‘69 metal panel. It was an absolutely fantastic sounding amp. It had ‘his’ tone no matter where you put the controls (they really didn’t do much). It was stupid loud. The mains was one of the high-current ones.

> The biggest change [in that '69 Super Bass] was the slope resister was a 33k, and it had the additional .68uf cap in the tone stack. The other caps were right for a Super Bass (250pf/500pf):

- Standard Super Bass shared cathode
- 33k slope with 250pf treble cap
- Looks like a 100k feedback resistor
- v2 bypass cap is a .68
- .005?? [not sure] on the volume control

> Almost the perfect mix and match of Lead and Bass components – probably as thick as a milkshake with tons of undertones.

i understand the slope resistor changes the tonestack freq. the 100 plexi has this set at 600hz...what would a 33k resistor do to this value? and can we mimic any of the other changes too?

thanks!

THIS!!!!

I have been begging for a super bass! Or a way to convert the plexi(s) into a bass model. I tired to tone match Koss's ARN tone and posted here a few days ago... I was able to get the mogg file and TM off of that. I thought the lead patch was pretty close to his live tone. The main rhythm from all right now to me, does not sound like a super bass. I have read he used a selmer on that so it makes sense.

Last edited:
Bonus Super Bass trivia - Gary Moore used to use a 1972 Super Bass back in the early to mid 1980's. It was unmodified other than maintenance and repairs. If you want to hear it search for Wild Frontier Stockholm. It was his main amp in that show according to a magazine article I read.

I have contemplated exposing all of the tone stack values so you could design your own but that would further complicate things for many people.

Maybe create an advanced section in the amp block that people wouldn't have to use if they don't want to. And a basic section for the controls they are used to like Bass Mid Treble and Gain.

Just a thought that could make your product better.

Zing!

I tried the suggested settings and it's ok. I think having an IR of the right cab would make more of a difference though.

Last edited:
Maybe create an advanced section in the amp block that people wouldn't have to use if they don't want to. And a basic section for the controls they are used to like Bass Mid Treble and Gain.

Zing!

Or, create another “hidden” tab/menu for those who want to experiment. You could also put a switch in AE to toggle between displaying the new “hidden” features or leaving them hidden. That way those who can’t handle complications wouldn’t have to deal with them.

I have contemplated exposing all of the tone stack values so you could design your own but that would further complicate things for many people.

Provided the reset/starting point was the standard values, guys like me could stick to gain, bass, mid, treble, presence, master....like I pretty much do right now. I usually do not mess with the other stuff....and the gear sounds amazing.

Zing!

Yes we should call it the Ultra Advanced Section, err, no maybe the Advanced II Section! ;)

I can handle it! I spent hours...no, days.. tuning amps I built to get to the 'right' tone. Being able to modify the tone stack would make the Axe II the ultimate modeler!

Please expose everything you like!
That's one of many things that make the Axe so fantastic.
I can always create some new tones when I would like something new and I don't have to wait for new updates with new amps!

personally, i think we have enough advanced parameters. changing the cab has a much more dramatic effect than any subtle tweezing of advanced parameters. i'd like to see more "mix" cabs in the axe, that just sound great right off the bat (like the basketweave green, tv and ax mixes). and maybe some more unusual cabs, like marshall bass cabs and pa cabs. i played though some original 1969 marshall 4x10 pa cabs once and they sounded amazing

Back
Top Bottom