Classic br00talz trick fails on me...=(

danielodland said:
FractalAudio said:
Version 8.03 will change this. The drive control range now matches the modeled device.

Cliff, what was the reason for the change in the first place, and why are you changing back?

Well, my guess is that by giving the pedal more available range, you could get more flexibility. Although, people seem to have a hard time getting used to this ( hence all the posts from people who don't read the release notes enough ), so that's probably why he's changing it be like the real pedals instead.

How about two modes? One where the gain is like the modeled pedals and one with extended range?

danielodland said:
FractalAudio said:
Version 8.03 will change this. The drive control range now matches the modeled device.

Cliff, what was the reason for the change in the first place, and why are you changing back?

He's not changing it back. Before he updated it, it was the opposite. So the drives often had more gain than the original, but they still had 40dbs of range.
Now it look like each has the range of the modeled drive pedal.

tonygtr said:
danielodland said:
FractalAudio said:

Well, my guess is that by giving the pedal more available range, you could get more flexibility. Although, people seem to have a hard time getting used to this ( hence all the posts from people who don't read the release notes enough ), so that's probably why he's changing it be like the real pedals instead.

Some will have less available range like the 808.

Well...is there any other downside to the "more range" solution than people not being used to it? The Axe is all about flexibility IMO, and more range sounds good to me.

javajunkie said:
FractalAudio said:

haha :lol: , right after I adjusted all my drives! :p

yeah, same here :( and since basically all my patches use the drive, and I am incredibly happy with how they sound in 8.02 this isn't good news! :)

Although I like to see the Axe-Fx evolving, these constant changes start bugging me :evil:
I will definetly skip the next few FW upgrades.

My suggestion is that Cliff create a FAS OD, FAS Fuzz, FAS Distortion... These could all have the added flexibility of the drives in 8.02.

BTW, I think I have finally got my OD sounds where I'm happy with them at practice last night. I think the key was the Mix control. Although, I am running my Levels at 10 so I'm not sure if there is really added flexibility. I guess I'll cross the 8.03 bridge when I get there. :D

danielodland said:
Dont listen, Cliff!!! Do not listen to this! =))
So could please anyone tell me how to get my 7.18 patches sound the same on 8.02???? On 7.1x, I had a drive block with DRIVE=0.0 and MIX=50% (the rest doesn't matter, I guess). I read, that setting the drive to 5.0 on 8.02 is the same as 0.0 on 7.18, but it isn't (at least for my ears). I did set the drive to 0 and the mix to 50% because I don't want to hear the drive, I just want to have some bass-tightening going on. If I now set the drive to 5.0 I can clearly hear a f***in distortion pedal. Did the LEVEL change, too? Can anybody help me?

RiF said:
danielodland said:
Dont listen, Cliff!!! Do not listen to this! =))
So could please anyone tell me how to get my 7.18 patches sound the same on 8.02???? On 7.1x, I had a drive block with DRIVE=0.0 and MIX=50% (the rest doesn't matter, I guess). I read, that setting the drive to 5.0 on 8.02 is the same as 0.0 on 7.18, but it isn't (at least for my ears). I did set the drive to 0 and the mix to 50% because I don't want to hear the drive, I just want to have some bass-tightening going on. If I now set the drive to 5.0 I can clearly hear a f***in distortion pedal. Did the LEVEL change, too? Can anybody help me?

Yes, the level changed too.

Cliff stated he is going to have the drives match the orginal pedal in the next firmware update.

OK, problem solved. I found a new favorite amp-type-of-the-week: Energyball, highly underrated!!! The default-setting do not do it justice, but when tweaked, this sukka rokkz! and dialed in a completely new tone from scratch.

Back to the br00talz trick: As real-world Engls usually do not need drive-pedals in front, I did set the MIX of the drive block to about 30% to tighten up the bass a bit. LEVEL and DRIVE are set higher than I have been used to on 7.18.

RiF said:
... I found a new favorite amp-type-of-the-week: Energyball, highly underrated!!! The default-setting do not do it justice, but when tweaked, this sukka rokkz!...
Care to elaborate on your settings? Or even upload a patch? I have not been able to dial in that model properly...

Yep, Energyball is my current fave. I have it boosted up front, as well. I rarely if ever turn it off that patch. I'm still running pre-8.x firmware too.

Regs,
Jeff

Dpoirier said:
RiF said:
... I found a new favorite amp-type-of-the-week: Energyball, highly underrated!!! The default-setting do not do it justice, but when tweaked, this sukka rokkz!...
Care to elaborate on your settings? Or even upload a patch? I have not been able to dial in that model properly...
I will upload the patch and probably a short clip in the next days (expect it to be until or before this weekend) because I want to make sure it is as great as I think it is... In the past, I did not have very much success with the Energyball and have been a bit disappointed, because I am a big Engl-fan in the "real world". But I must have touched some parameters by accident that made it rock :?. Or my ears fooled me...

Maybe I'm missing something but I've never found I needed to add a drive block to get sufficiently "brootal" tones. I just tweak the Advanced Lo Cut parameter and balance the Bass and Depth to taste. :?

Stringtheorist said:
Maybe I'm missing something but I've never found I needed to add a drive block to get sufficiently "brootal" tones. I just tweak the Advanced Lo Cut parameter and balance the Bass and Depth to taste. :?

My guess is you are probably not into modern or death metal

Stringtheorist said:
You're right Stringtheorist, upping the Locut to about 100Hz and keeping the bass controls (including DEPTH or DEEP) low does part of the trick. Usually I like pure amp tones more than pedal'ized tones, but everybody seems to use a TS-type of pedal in front of their real Rectifiers and 5150s (see the Andy Sneap Ultimate Metal forum) and I have to admit that a drive block (thank Cliff that he added the MIX control to keep it low) really gives me that little extra tightness and edge to let them cut through in a busy mix. Maybe it's my main guitar (a Les Paul Standard) and some EMG-equipped ESP, Ibanez or Schecter will have a tighter bass by nature (sth that I doubt, coz my EMG Charvel is muddier than my Les Paul).

Back
Top Bottom