Classic br00talz trick fails on me...=(

danielodland

Inspired
I'm using a Das Metall block (cab&sag bypassed) with gain at about 10 o'clock. I'm placing a 808 block in front with 0 drive, tone at noon and full level. Hoping to become the br00tmeister, but end up quite lame. What happens is there is a volume drop because of the 808. Why is that? When I bypass the 808, volume increases with a few dB. Anyone? Am I doing it wrong or is there a bug?

danielodland said:
I'm using a Das Metall block (cab&sag bypassed) with gain at about 10 o'clock. I'm placing a 808 block in front with 0 drive, tone at noon and full level. Hoping to become the br00tmeister, but end up quite lame. What happens is there is a volume drop because of the 808. Why is that? When I bypass the 808, volume increases with a few dB. Anyone? Am I doing it wrong or is there a bug?

You missed the post about this :D (actually its in the release notes as well but not explained as well).

The old ts 808 had more drive than original, now it has the same( the level also maxes at the orignal now). All drive models have +40 db of gain, so now you have to turn your drive about 1/2 or a little less to get the same effect as drive 0 with volume maxed with the previous model.

If you read the release notes it mentions that the new drive parameters don't correspond to real world values... so technically the new zero is closer to -10... and the the new 5 is closer to the old zero.

Here is Cliffs elaboration on it:

The Drive knob has always had 40 dB of range. The TS model, however, had more gain than a real Tube Screamer. Now the gain is the same as the real thing. So if you had the Drive set to 0 and the Level set to 10 now you have to turn the Drive up a bit to get the same results.

5 - 10 for the Drive is equal to 0 - 10 on the real thing. An SD-1 has 30 dB of range so fully CCW on an SD-1 is equivalent to 2.5 on the model. A ProCo Rat has 100 dB or range, which is stupid. But no one ever uses one with the Drive knob set nearly fully CCW.

With the Drive set to maximum it will always be the same as the Drive set to maximum on the real thing. Same with the Level.

As the release notes clearly state, there isn't necessarily a one-to-one correspondence on the knob positions. I like 40 dB of range as I feel it's a nice compromise between those pedals that have too little range (Tube Screamer types) and those that have too much (Rat).

If you want to use a Drive pedal as a boost, set the Level near maximum and the Drive to minimum. Bring the Drive up until you achieve the desired amount of boost.

Sorry, sorry, sorry!! My bad=)) I do in fact read the release notes, but I just received my new ultra, which came with 8.02, and I didnt read the release notes as thoroughly when I didnt own an AxeFX=) Just for the record, I still read every release and I still read most posts here at the forum. I've missed this!

FractalAudio said:
As always, adjust with your ears not your eyes.

Yep, good advice, thanks. =) I was just curious to whether it was a bug in the AFX or in me.

danielodland said:
Sorry, sorry, sorry!! My bad=)) I do in fact read the release notes, but I just received my new ultra, which came with 8.02, and I didnt read the release notes as thoroughly when I didnt own an AxeFX=) Just for the record, I still read every release and I still read most posts here at the forum. I've missed this!

FractalAudio said:

Yep, good advice, thanks. =) I was just curious to whether it was a bug in the AFX or in me.

Don't worry, I too read the release notes to 8.02 and still made the same mistake. ;)

Cliff's post is helpful but there is no way I would have ever got that from the release notes. I have had some success using the T808MOD model. I set the Drive to 6.38, Tone 6.54, Level to 9.33, On page 2, I changed the Clip Type to the new 4558 Diode, I also adjusted the Slew Rate to 2.13, Biase to .45. On the EQ I increased the MID to 3.3, and MID FREQ 845.3. I am still struggling to get a clean/light overdrive boost that I'm happy with.

I have been doing some testing this past week against my Analogman TS9 808 brown mod, Analogman TS9 Silver and Barber Tone Pump. I ran my TS9 Silver in front of the Ultra last night during our gig and did a real life comparison. I've almost got it, but I still notice a difference. The TS9 silver just had a little more clarity, it was cleaner and had more volume. I couldn't get the volume boost using the Ultra to the level I needed it without having too much overdrive in the signal. I think if I increase the level, lower the drive and increase the treble a bit I will be there. I have to say as an avid tubescreamer user for the last 10 years, this last upgrade threw me for a bit of a loop.

Clawfinger said:
danielodland said:

FractalAudio said:

Don't worry, I too read the release notes to 8.02 and still made the same mistake. ;)

Good to hear =)

danielodland said:

did you say the CAB bypassed? :shock:

rsf1977 said:
danielodland said:

He's so brewtalz, he don't need no stinkin' cab...

rsf1977 said:
danielodland said:

Yes, he is using a real amp and cab

javajunkie said:
rsf1977 said:
danielodland said:

Yes, he is using a real amp and cab

ohhhhhhhh haha i should have figured that lol

made me think for a second i had no idea what i was doing. But, i'll admit I tried it just to make sure hahahaha. I swear if Clawfinger said threading bananas on my 1/4 cable was the key, i'd be running to the fruit stand lol. I'm hopeless haahah

Version 8.03 will change this. The drive control range now matches the modeled device.

javajunkie said:
FractalAudio said:
Version 8.03 will change this. The drive control range now matches the modeled device.

haha :lol: , right after I adjusted all my drives! :p

:lol: Still, pretty happy to hear this. It wasn't super important, but it was a source of confusion.

Back
Top Bottom