Clark's Stock IRs: TOP SECRET

Obviously there are differences between one amp to another so I'm not stating that the speaker resonance settings are off.

The speaker resonance settings change with the load. So, if you will first measure the line out of your MKIV when the cabnet is loaded you`ll get some data to tweak the speaker tab closer to match YOUR cabinet! After that it`s time to tweak EQ... & stuff, IMHO. This is, why i ask, if you plot the line out, so people can match speaker tab closer to your cab pack!

The speaker resonance settings change with the load. So, if you will first measure the line out of your MKIV when the cabnet is loaded you`ll get some data to tweak the speaker tab closer to match YOUR cabinet! After that it`s time to tweak EQ... & stuff, IMHO. This is, why i ask, if you plot the line out, so people can match speaker tab closer to your cab pack!

For Cab Pack 7 the low resonance should be 94hz IIRC.

We used the slave out of the Mark IV. It's basically like using a loadbox so there's tube amp color in it and all that's not in the signal is the cab and speaker. That low resonance was pretty close to the real thing when matched. I think we needed to change the amount and Q quite a bit but the frequency was almost the same.

I don't read the manual or release notes like a bible so I don't know everything but right now I think I need to read a bit more why there's speaker resonance inside the amp block....... :lol

I'm not sure if people really understood my point but these are the FREE IR's that everyone gets if they install the newest firmware. Slots are as shown in the picture above. :)

Thanks as always for your work CK. I think the question was asked so people like me who bought the cab pack can know which ones were used for the factory cabs. This way we can blend them in cab lab and save a poop load of CPU :)

Here it is:

live%20tone%20match%20with%20mark%20iv.jpg

So let me explain what this is. We're currently recording a "Clark Kent Job" (my band) promo and for this promo we used a real Mark IV through a Traditional Mesa 4x12 cab. Although me and Irotlas are very experienced in this we still used a whole day placing mics and tweaking the amp constantly to ensure that the sound was "perfect" for every riff. In the end we thought... dammit.. we want this sound in the Axe-Fx so we did a live tone match. Then we realized that it's not 2013 anymore. It's 2015 and match EQ is dead!!! Let's tweak this bad boy till we get a flat line in the live tone match. This is the end result. Sure there are small dips here and there but those are under 1dB. We did an Ozone match EQ just in case to get more accurate measurements. We finally got that exact tone. A lot of speaker resonance tweakage and GEQ block wankage that took us way too long but I'm never touching any of the amp settings again..... :lol

I pay for that TM! :eek:

Just out of curiosity, when you compared that live TM with your manual EQ/resonance tweaking via Ozone reference how substantial was the difference? Really that noticeable?

For Cab Pack 7 the low resonance should be 94hz IIRC.

We used the slave out of the Mark IV. It's basically like using a loadbox so there's tube amp color in it and all that's not in the signal is the cab and speaker. That low resonance was pretty close to the real thing when matched. I think we needed to change the amount and Q quite a bit but the frequency was almost the same.

I don't read the manual or release notes like a bible so I don't know everything but right now I think I need to read a bit more why there's speaker resonance inside the amp block....... :lol

I'd really like the exact settings for the hf/lf resonance Clark, I and many others don't have ears as good as yours and I think that we should base our presets on realistic values.

By the way, I was really exhausted by dialing out the low end, and my low/high cut values were 160/8k respectively (for the last few days, I was using the 57 - 121 #3 alloy, what a coincidence :)). With your combination, the wider 111/11111 interval is even more balanced, I really liked this blend, will definitely use it, thank you.

Lastly, with a lf value as low as 94 hz, I could even flirt my ex love, the rectifier :) I always found out that when I set the lf freq. to 110hz, it got hell a lot flubby.

I will experiment a lot with the IIC+, Triptik Modern and the Rectos, but I'm waiting for my Bare Knuckle Nailbombs.

Please remind me that I'm still alive if I open a thread like 'Am I dead and in heaven?', because approximately two or three weeks later my rig will be PRS Custom 24 with Bare Knuckle Nailbombs into Axe FX 2's Mesa/Boogie models via a purple Lava instrument cable, into your beautiful IR blend. :)

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, when you compared that live TM with your manual EQ/resonance tweaking via Ozone reference how substantial was the difference? Really that noticeable?

The difference is not in the result but simply being able to get a better view. F.ex. how many dBs are those peaks, how wide are they and most importantly what those frequencies are.

F.ex. I don't care about small peaks under 100hz or above 4khz. They don't affect the overall sound much. Then if there's a wide Q difference I'm going to fix it with the GEQ but if there's a narrow peak in the low end it's a low resonance issue... stuff like that. You can't really tell from a graph on a pixel screen like on the Axe-Fx.

wow Clark, you put a lot of work into that preset. I can see why you'd be reluctant to give it up.

Ha! It's not about that really... just feels like I want to keep this one to myself you know. I might have to study this a bit more anyways.

Irotlas did a similar test with the Rectifier vs his Roadster clips and just by tweaking the speaker resonance he was able to nail that sound.

Speaker resonance is no joke. Really effective!

i get it, i've got my baby too. as for speaker resonance; just wish i had a better grasp of how to achieve the right settings. Cliff posted parameters for the OH M-BB-55 and wow what a difference.

Last edited:
Hmm... well I can give you some pointers for the USA LEAD sim. Bass is set extremely low in the amp block... 0 actually... don't be afraid of that. There's close to no difference on the real amp if bass is between 0-2. Master setting is really low also just like on the real amp. (2-3) This particular amp is really versatile because in a way it has 3-4 gain knobs. Treble and presence affect the gain a lot on this amp. I usually boost the treble and have the presence around noon.

The most important part of this tweakage we did was to get the speaker resonances and the graphic EQ matching what the real amp was doing. I'll just give you a small tip and say that the 240hz knob is way lower on the Axe-Fx than it is on the real amp. :)

Cheers CK, thats really good of you. Your help on this forums is much appreciated!

Im amazed at the difference lowering the Master had. That and dialing the bass to zero then playing with the Speaker Res Freq/Low Resonance to get back some low end. Really made my patch have some balls. (and makes me wonder what other amps like having the Master lowered?!)

Ive boosted the treble and have the presence just above noon but i still seem to be lacking some high end sparkle. Guess ill have to play with the treble, presence and GEQ a bit more. Anyway, thanks again man. Those tips have given me the best sounding USA Lead patch ive used yet!! and i also have a new favourite cab setup!

Though i will still be keeping an eye out incase you decide to share the preset... haha!

Last edited:
And here I am using the old Basketweave TV Mix for everything with gain and Pete's /13 for cleans.

However for that kind of tone it does sound awesome

For lower CPU I´ve baked both IRs into one. Because I did that just with Axe-Fx II on-board tools i hope this will be legal and ok? At least tolerated? If not, delete my message :)

Sine-Sweep (Synth-Block voice 3 + LFO) -> Two Cab Blocks in parallel loaded with both factory CK CP7`s -> TMA block (=reference), Same sine-sweep source flat into TMA Block (= local). Exported as UR. 50:50 Mix.

Attached the UR MIX and a preset for your own control: SCENE1 = both Cab-Irs, SCENE2 = TMA.

I`ve forgotten the new Stereo-UltraRes Cab feature,so ... two Mono cab blocks are used. For sure you can also load both IRs in a stereo UR-Cab-Block (both panned to center) and judge the matched IR in the second CabBlock four yourself by ABing both :) Note: You have to increase the Cab Block of the UR TMA export a little to average different output levels.

Because of Axe-Fx II this IR will not work on XL, but the Tonematch in the Preset will hopefully, so XL User can export for themself...

CK CP7 all 4 speaker in one IR.zip

Have fun and save CPU!

Haha... that's definitely grey area. Umm... dunno why it kind of seems wrong but as long as it's in .syx format and not .wav it's okay. I'm curious, did you make a comparison if the tone match was able to be as precise as the original IRs?

Back
Top Bottom