Clark's Stock IRs: TOP SECRET

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
So I've kind of kept this small secret on the down low but I can't take it anymore. It's killing me inside.

Here's a top secret clip:

And here's a top secret little secret:

ckj%20stock%20irs.jpg

So the two IRs that you can find stock were picked for a reason. When you blend them together you're using four mics on four speakers on the USA cab from the Cab Pack 7. In addition they're both Alloy IRs meaing that there's realistic phase to them. I guess I'll give you guys my guarantee that this combination should work with every amp sim. :) Enjoy!

The settings that I have in my amp block however... those will remain top secret. :lol Basically it sounds 95% the same as the real Mesa Mark IV that's in our studio with both 6L6 and EL34 tubes etc. Me and Irotlas tweaked it to perfection today. :)

I want the $24.99 I paid for Cab Pack 7 back! (just kidding of course lol)

I know you were kidding but here's an ignorant serious answer:

For this particular cabinets it's essential to have the SM57-MD421 alloys and ofcourse the single mics for versatility. This is definitely just the first free bite of a... chocolate cake.

Hey Clark. Any favorite blends of your you have using Cab Pack 7? I think it'd be interesting to see.

edit: Oh is this the chocolate cake preset?

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I loved teh IRs and now im hooked on cab lab 7. Some of the clearest IRs I have ever used that works awesome with any amp. Now I have to go try this! EDIT: already had it saved on my axe fx :lol:

Last edited:
Hi Clark, i was already using this combination as you mentioned it around the time it was released and i absolutely love it. I'm not using any hi or low cut but i am using 0.06ms delay on the right ir. Not sure it needs it but it doesn't seem to hurt to use a bit either. Your thoughts on why you don't use it?

Yep, sounds great with all the high gain amps i tried tonight. My favorites were the SEVERE 2, 5153 and the USA LEAD. Cheers!

Would really love to get a hold of that patch, i made something that was similar but its lacking some chunkiness?!

Hey Clark. Any favorite blends of your you have using Cab Pack 7? I think it'd be interesting to see.

edit: Oh is this the chocolate cake preset?

Well I'm pretty happy with the IRs myself. I think I use SM57-MD421 Alloys most of the time... I don't feel the need to blend them any further. I think I use #4 most of the time. :) It took me some time to create that cab pack so I've kind of not spent too much time exploring it as much as I normally would. I'm definitely interested in doing some blends and sharing them for people to try out. :)

This is not the Chocolate Cake preset. :) This is something special.. I'm afraid to update after getting these settings so close to the real Mark IV we've got at the studio.

Thanks for this. I loved teh IRs and now im hooked on cab lab 7. Some of the clearest IRs I have ever used that works awesome with any amp. Now I have to go try this! EDIT: already had it saved on my axe fx :lol:

That's great man and thank you!

Sounds great!!!

now there's 10 different IR's in each of those folders, do you mind share which one you used?

:)

I'm not sure if people really understood my point but these are the FREE IR's that everyone gets if they install the newest firmware. Slots are as shown in the picture above. :)

Yep, sounds great with all the high gain amps i tried tonight. My favorites were the SEVERE 2, 5153 and the USA LEAD. Cheers!

Would really love to get a hold of that patch, i made something that was similar but its lacking some chunkiness?!

Hmm... well I can give you some pointers for the USA LEAD sim. Bass is set extremely low in the amp block... 0 actually... don't be afraid of that. There's close to no difference on the real amp if bass is between 0-2. Master setting is really low also just like on the real amp. (2-3) This particular amp is really versatile because in a way it has 3-4 gain knobs. Treble and presence affect the gain a lot on this amp. I usually boost the treble and have the presence around noon.

The most important part of this tweakage we did was to get the speaker resonances and the graphic EQ matching what the real amp was doing. I'll just give you a small tip and say that the 240hz knob is way lower on the Axe-Fx than it is on the real amp. :)

Hmm... well I can give you some pointers for the USA LEAD sim. Bass is set extremely low in the amp block... 0 actually... don't be afraid of that. There's close to no difference on the real amp if bass is between 0-2. Master setting is really low also just like on the real amp. (2-3) This particular amp is really versatile because in a way it has 3-4 gain knobs. Treble and presence affect the gain a lot on this amp. I usually boost the treble and have the presence around noon.

The most important part of this tweakage we did was to get the speaker resonances and the graphic EQ matching what the real amp was doing. I'll just give you a small tip and say that the 240hz knob is way lower on the Axe-Fx than it is on the real amp. :)

I think some advancement in the speaker resonance settings, e.g. automatic setting by capturing impedance data in addition to IR data, would be a great addition to the Fractal.

I think some advancement in the speaker resonance settings, e.g. automatic setting by capturing impedance data in addition to IR data, would be a great addition to the Fractal.

Obviously there are differences between one amp to another so I'm not stating that the speaker resonance settings are off. Our Mark IV has EL34s in the outer sockets like Petrucci had when he was using this amp. Not sure if that changes things a lot or not. At least the gain knobs were off quite a bit. Also the presence knob on the Axe-Fx had to be at least 5 to match the Mark IV we had that had presence on 3. But once again... this is definitely wine tasting snobbery once again. I don't expect the model to be 100% the same as a random Mark IV that pick up. However... with these settings that we have in this preset now the live tone match was almost completely flat. Actually it might've been even flatter than the picture that Cliff posted of the actual Mark IV that he owns. I'll post you a picture soon!

Here it is:

live%20tone%20match%20with%20mark%20iv.jpg

So let me explain what this is. We're currently recording a "Clark Kent Job" (my band) promo and for this promo we used a real Mark IV through a Traditional Mesa 4x12 cab. Although me and Irotlas are very experienced in this we still used a whole day placing mics and tweaking the amp constantly to ensure that the sound was "perfect" for every riff. In the end we thought... dammit.. we want this sound in the Axe-Fx so we did a live tone match. Then we realized that it's not 2013 anymore. It's 2015 and match EQ is dead!!! Let's tweak this bad boy till we get a flat line in the live tone match. This is the end result. Sure there are small dips here and there but those are under 1dB. We did an Ozone match EQ just in case to get more accurate measurements. We finally got that exact tone. A lot of speaker resonance tweakage and GEQ block wankage that took us way too long but I'm never touching any of the amp settings again..... :lol

Last edited:
Obviously there are differences between one amp to another so I'm not stating that the speaker resonance settings are off. Our Mark IV has EL34s in the outer sockets like Petrucci had when he was using this amp. Not sure if that changes things a lot or not. At least the gain knobs were off quite a bit. Also the presence knob on the Axe-Fx had to be at least 5 to match the Mark IV we had that had presence on 3. But once again... this is definitely wine tasting snobbery once again. I don't expect the model to be 100% the same as a random Mark IV that pick up. However... with these settings that we have in this preset now the live tone match was almost completely flat. Actually it might've been even flatter than the picture that Cliff posted of the actual Mark IV that he owns. I'll post you a picture soon!

I wasn't saying the default SPKR page values were off.

My point was these values could be set to match the real cabinet the IR's were shot from. Just a little bit more accuracy but the defaults work great for me.

Back
Top Bottom