Chinese guitar knock-offs... opinions?

No, two different statements in my post.
First one addresses the misused term "counterfeit".

Second implies that there are people out there that have developed a strong opinion against the purchasing of Chinese guitar knock-offs. But if they take a step back and look at themselves they may find that not only have they willingly purchased other knock-off products but they've maybe profited from other people's work. Example, the guitar player who denounces the purchase of a Chinese guitar knock-off yet that same guitar player has no problem making money in a bar playing other artists songs without an agreement in place or royalty payment.
in order for your analogy to actually hold up, said cover band would have to try to dupe people into buying tickets to see the real band, only to find out its a covers band at the show.

I've yet to see a cover band advertise they were actually the real band..... this is exacrtly what these counterfeit guitars are doing, so really not the same thing at all as a cover band playing covers.

I bet they were at least paying royalties
I totally know what you mean.

I went to my favorite "Authentic" Chinese restaurant last night. Went to restroom to wash my hands and took a wrong turn , ended up in the kitchen. Couldn't believe my eyes, all the cooks were Hispanic.

Totally Duped. Wow, was I disappointed!

Second implies that there are people out there that have developed a strong opinion against the purchasing of Chinese guitar knock-offs. But if they take a step back and look at themselves they may find that not only have they willingly purchased other knock-off products but they've maybe profited from other people's work. Example, the guitar player who denounces the purchase of a Chinese guitar knock-off yet that same guitar player has no problem making money in a bar playing other artists songs without an agreement in place or royalty payment.

Ah...got ya.

That sucks big time. However to imply that this is a normal experience with a Gibson guitar is just silly. ( I'm not saying you are implying this, but it seems like some others are).

So what did you end up doing with that guitar?
After owing it for around 5 years, I decided to sell it for about half of what I bought it for. I used it quite a lot though, because in the grand scheme it didn't affect the overall use of the guitar. I just avoided using it any context that the G-string would be the focus of my playing. I could keep it in tune long enough to play a song or two, and I quite liked the guitar for most every other reason you could think of, aside from the weight, which is why I am now a PRS guy. Similar tone, less weight.

Also, I was quite surprised to find that there were many people that had a similar experience with the same year, model, and color. Apparently, Gibson got in hot water over passing B-stock off in opaque colors as A-stock in the early 2000's. I'd probably still buy a gibson, but not a Les Paul. They're just too darn heavy.

Interesting argument, however, it can easily be argued that, in that case, by all rights, someone is supposed to have a music union license of some sort, ASCAP, BMI, whatever, be it the venue, or the band. So even in that example there IS still a legal avenue. I personally do not do covers, if I can avoid it, and when I do, I don't play non-licenced venues. Once upon a time, I was in a cover band that payed it's union dues, and we played anywhere we wanted.

The argument that there is no way to avoid doing SOMETHING illegal is kind of a lame duck. There is always a legal way, it just might not be the easiest way.

definitely no. first of all it's illegal. secondly there are plenty of affordable quality, legit guitars available. makes no sense why anyone would want to support the terrorists, lol

So if I went to see New kids on the block and Joey ended up sick so they brought in Lance Bass From nsync, did I get burned???
I mean the ticket was like 250.00. Just sayin'

BTW, this is hypothetical

Reactions: BBN
I guess if a company wanted to counterfeit thier own stuff, Ie NKOTB replaced their line up with the Wiggles for a concert its not illegal its just unethical

Secondly your profile picture is all sorts of sexy

Thirdly as I've previously alluded to, if your buying a guitar or product from a counterfeiter for fun / art / show, and the original brand / company would never have got that money anyway, the argument starts to break down a bit
I.e. no company was done out of any money no brand was tarnished, its still illegal i guess, however the only down side is, your still funding the terrorists (as brainv4 put it)

This is all getting to hard, lets fight over an easier question, which is a better guitar, fender or gibson...

Suhr of course

Ok... I'll stir the pot a little...
Would it make the concept more acceptable if we exchanged the word "counterfeit" for the word "modeled"?
That would imply that "modeling" is somehow the same as building an exact replica of a guitar amp, and labeling it as though it was the original thing. Which I'm not even sure could work in any practical sense.

While I get what you are thinking, it's not legally the same concept. This has already been dealt with, from a legal stand point, more than a decade (maybe 2 decades) ago, and is the main reason most of your modeling companies don't outright call their "Marshall" a "Marshall", unless they have licensed a deal with the amp company.

As far as the law goes, Modeling is a legitimate practice. Making a Fender copy, and labeling it a Fender is not.

I guess if a company wanted to counterfeit thier own stuff, Ie NKOTB replaced their line up with the Wiggles for a concert its not illegal its just unethical

Secondly your profile picture is all sorts of sexy

Thirdly as I've previously alluded to, if your buying a guitar or product from a counterfeiter for fun / art / show, and the original brand / company would never have got that money anyway, the argument starts to break down a bit
I.e. no company was done out of any money no brand was tarnished, its still illegal i guess, however the only down side is, your still funding the terrorists (as brainv4 put it)

This is all getting to hard, lets fight over an easier question, which is a better guitar, fender or gibson...

Suhr of course

Anderson :)

That is probably the most understandable argument against the manufacturing of copied products IMO.
The purchasing of said products does indeed promote the manufacturing.

So now I've come to a dilemma.
When/If my guitar arrives, and if it shows up as an excellent impersonation of a Slash ALP, is it still right to use it as a wall hanger in my home theatre? To mitigate, I'd make a point to let people know that its a piece of art. Decor. Another artists impression of the real deal. Or, am I forced to sacrifice this lamb by destroying a certain percentage of features that attempt to identify it as authentic. Such as, the logo, "made in usa" stamp, or other identifiable markings?

I haven't read all of the posts and I had to work late today so I'm jumping back into the mix here. There are plenty of quality copies of LP's no arguing that one. I'm sure it was a big reason why PRS was sued by Gibson but it wasn't an exact copy, serial numbers head stock etc etc. that is meant to trick or defraud the uninformed buying consumers.

As a $250 piece of wall art... well if it had word "Fake" burned into the back of it I suppose so. At least people would know that it's not the Real deal and wouldn't be trying to pass it off as one.

I want to start a guitar line named "used". So when an consumer calls one of my dealers and says" do you have any used guitars? they'll respond,"we got a wall full of them!

Now I'm think in'

Back
Top Bottom