Celestion F12-X200 vs F12M-150

The Milkman puts out 100 watts @ 8 ohms and it's a class D amp. I was looking into a Crown XLi 800 300 watt 2 channel. Those run class ab, What's your thoughts.....thanks

Never tried a Milkman. The Crown I have sounds good and it’s clean up to the levels I play at. I can bridge if I need to, but so far so good on just one channel. The XLi800 rating at 300watts is probably at 4 ohms. So 150watts per side. That’s good I would think. You can bridge if needed.

I would bet money that the crown would sound really great, but perhaps a tad bit heavy if you load it in and out a lot.

I prefer the old school class A/B amps over class D ..if you can spare the weight and current.

I would bet money that the crown would sound really great, but perhaps a tad bit heavy if you load it in and out a lot.

I prefer the old school class A/B amps over class D ..if you can spare the weight and current.
More than a question of class A/B versus D, the most important thing from my point of view is the design quality of the amplifier. On the amplifier market there is everything. some very bad, cheap...some good and some very good. in class A/B and class D

Mh, I just gave away two old HiFi amplifiers. Do you then use A/B Hifi amplifiers as power amps or special A/B guitar amps? I use the HB GPA 400 class D amp and am very satisfied.

Are the high frequencies in the F12M more directional than in the F12?
yes it seems, I don't have an F12-X200 to compare, on the F12M-150 the treble is very directive. Observation made by Barefaced too. I did a quick comparison with my Jensen N12D, the F12M-150 is more directive, as soon as you move away from the axis you quickly lose the brilliance of the highs

yes it seems, I don't have an F12-X200 to compare, on the F12M-150 the treble is very directive. Observation made by Barefaced too. I did a quick comparison with my Jensen N12D, the F12M-150 is more directive, as soon as you move away from the axis you quickly lose the brilliance of the highs
Thanks. I'm going to give the Jensen some serious consideration. I honestly don't believe I need highs extending to 10k-20k. A wide beamwidth between 2k-10K is more important to me. But I'm thinking that the F12-x200 might provide both.

It probably doesn't really matter, since I'm only using it for stage volume and the acoustic reinforcement a cabinet provides to the body of the guitar. I use IEMs for actual monitoring, but after playing with a cabinet behind me, I don't want to go back to just IEMs. I'm also concerned with the potential for tweeter squeal if I use the x200.

Last edited:
I am publishing an extract from our discussion because I think it will enhance the work done by this company

Discussion with Alex :
You make a good point about modelled guitar sounds not needing to go up to 20kHz. However, to get good modelled sounds you need minimal colouration and then only way to get that from ~3kHz upwards is by having a two-way speaker,
either crossing over to a midrange speaker or to a tweeter. And the midrange speaker approach is harder
to do well because there are more directivity and power handling issues. So most FRFR cabs use a tweeter which goes about an octave higher than needed but there's no downside to that.
I'd be interested to learn more about the N12D - it looks to have an extended treble response like the Celestion F12M-150. We tested the latter here and it was the most directional speaker we'd ever heard, by a long long way. Very impressive on-axis frequency response plot which was nothing like the real world frequency response in the room. How does the N12D compare to the F12M-150?

Best regards,

Alex
I made a comparison by ear so nothing scientific....I sent white noise alternately into the F12m-150 and the N12D, I placed myself in the axis of the speaker at a distance approximately 1.5 m
then I gradually shifted to the right (on the left would have been identical!!) and I actually noticed the great directionality of the F12M-150; the Jensen N12D is less directional with my ears. The comparison seems interesting to me because they are 2 speakers which have very similar bandwidth, I would have liked to do the same thing with the F12-X200 but I no longer have it currently.

If anyone who owns the F12-X200 and the F12M-150 can make a comparison of this type, thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom