Celestion F12-X200 vs F12M-150

I’ve watched the YouTube videos and read the other threads but wanted to see if anyone has an updated recent perspective on how these two speakers compare. I would be putting it in a closed back 1x12 combo and the effects loop return for a power amp with my FM3.

Have not tried the 150 triple cone. I do have the F12 and I love it. If you plan on running either in a non spec cab, it may or may not sound as intended. I tried my F12 in an open back 112 and with a cushion stuffed behind the speaker (to reduce wall reflections) it sounded far better than my Headrush 112. It’s in a modified spec cab now which is good but not a big difference from the open back cab. I haven’t seen a lot of positive feedback on the 150. I’m probably going to get another F12 next month for my birthday and it will go in the open back. I’m using a clean power amp to run it. Depending on your combo power amp it may color the speaker. These need a neutral amp to drive them.

I have a pair of each and have had them since they became available, the X200 was introduced about one year earlier than the Triple Cone. My opinion has not changed the Triple Cone is the better speaker of the two but I have to put a "depends" on that statement.

It depends on what your intentions are. For someone who may just be playing at home or occasionally with some friends then it doesn't matter but you can save $50 purchasing the Triple Cone. I'm using them in back line cabs so that's where my perspective is coming from.

The Triple Cone is closer to a guitar speaker than the X200 in its behavior and is especially noticeable if you are interested in EOB and vintage or cleaner tones. The X200 tweeter and crossover network are a problem for me, it's built like a hybrid of a monitor/PA speaker and a guitar speaker. The Triple Cone is a guitar speaker without the bloom at 3-4K and by pulling those frequencies down the design allows the high end to extend to 10k which is more than enough for hardware modelers.Tweeters are fine for PA speakers, stereo monitors, etc. but not for what these speakers and their intended purpose which is to replicate a guitar speaker in tone and feel.

Check out Doug Doppler on the Celestion UK YouTube channel, I think he has 6 videos comparing the 2 in various cabs with different styles. he states in everyone one I believe that the Triple Cone is a little brighter and more open than the X200 and I agree. Don't judge them by the frequency graphs which some do when they are purchasing them and don't worry about the 150 vs 200 watts. I wouldn't put an X200 in a combo and I doubt it would fit, the Triple Cone would work well.

Also, take a look at Jensen. They have 2 speakers designed for hardware modelers the N12D and the C12D. As a Jensen speaker aficionado I'm going to grab them and give then a run when I get a chance.

If your into metal and high gain, disregard my opinion, not my thing.
In your experience, by using global EQ can you make the F12-X200 sufficiently mimic a guitar speaker (or a F12M-150 for that matter) when paired with the right IR & cab?

I acquired 2 used CAB HB G112, I will equip one with the F12-X200 and the second with the F12M-150, a small GSS 06B400GH100 amp will be the power supply, I can't wait to test everything this will not be a scientific test... just a pair of ears!

I have already tested a CAB equipped with the F12M-150 connected to a TECH21 Power Engine Deuce, without discussion, the F12M-150 crushes the HP Tech21 ...... which seemed dull in comparison. The Tech21 is a good amp, but its 12" is pretty average.

the F12M-150 crushes the HP Tech21 ...... which seemed dull in comparison. The Tech21 is a good amp, but its 12" is pretty average.
is what I would have expected since afaik the T21s have Celestion 70/80s in them which is a guitar speaker so somewhat apples to oranges vs an FR speaker. But curious to hear your thoughts on the F12M in terms of how it translates across different ranges of amps sounds without needing any specific eq'ing for any given sound type.

I’ve watched the YouTube videos and read the other threads but wanted to see if anyone has an updated recent perspective on how these two speakers compare. I would be putting it in a closed back 1x12 combo and the effects loop return for a power amp with my FM3.
I have both, they both sound great! The main difference is bass response. The F12-X200 can be overly bassy in an open-back cab, and works best in a closed cab. I currently gig with an AX8 into an old '60's Showman cabinet, which is closed and not deep, and they are brilliant. But in a semi-open Seismic cab, they are much too bottomy. But the F12M-150 works perfectly in this cab. Otherwise you couldn't tell the difference.

I also have both, and agree that the FX 200 has more bass response. With that said, I actually have four of each, installed in two Marshall 4 x12 cabinets, each cabinet is stereo and has triple cones on top and FX 200 on bottom. I actually experimented with X pattern, but found that the cabinet seems to lose some of its oomph when installed in an X pattern, so I reverted to the configuration listed above.

I also have the Mission Gemini 212 powered cabinet and can honestly say that that gives me true FRFR response which I am able to dial in presets based on, but then when playing through the Marshall 4 x 12’s get a much more guitar cab-like feel with the speaker configuration listed above. I do have a graphic EQ on the output that goes to the Marshall cabs which cuts some of the bass, and adds a little high end which captures the sound just right.

My main objective for dialing in presets is for direct front of house bliss but also that sounds good with in ear monitors, as well as the Celestion FRFR speaker solution for stage volume. Using the Mission Gemini, I am able to dial in presets to achieve a nice average between all three.

I’ve been chasing this for a while, hope that helps others who are trying to achieve the same thing.

After a few days playing with the 2 CABs, one equipped with the F12-X200, the second with the F12M-150, I have good feelings with the 2 speakers. I F12-X200 has more brightness and a little more presence when I play the 2 CAB side by side. The 2 HP are a good choice for a lively and pleasant FRFR to play. But as I am looking for maximum versatility, I am thinking of replacing the F12M-150 with a second F12-X200, because the game with the 2 CABs is not balanced in this configuration. I would like to test the Jensen N12D but it is currently not found in Europe .....

Attachments

• Sans titre.jpg
    Sans titre.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
The Celestion has a bigger fuller sound - more bass - I wonder what the Celestion would sound like in the sealed ported cab ? I think they both sound good but I give the edge to the Celestion - IMHO - thxs for the clip

After a few days playing with the 2 CABs, one equipped with the F12-X200, the second with the F12M-150, I have good feelings with the 2 speakers. I F12-X200 has more brightness and a little more presence when I play the 2 CAB side by side. The 2 HP are a good choice for a lively and pleasant FRFR to play. But as I am looking for maximum versatility, I am thinking of replacing the F12M-150 with a second F12-X200, because the game with the 2 CABs is not balanced in this configuration. I would like to test the Jensen N12D but it is currently not found in Europe .....
My 2 F12s are in these exact same cabs. About as good as you can get while trying to still use IRs.

What IR are you using with 2 speakers?

currently only this preset with my FM9
Thank you for your help.

Can the Celestion F12-X200 in a 1 X 12 cab with the correct IR's sound like a American speaker - Fender Deluxe or Super reverb - then Marshall Plexi - Rivera - Matchless AC30 for example.

This would loaded in a birch ported cabinet.

LX II Stereo Power Amp with a FX3 is the rest of the rig.

Used in a live gig with drummer, bass player, organ and vocalist - can a single 12 at 100 watts RMS cut through the mix?

Cheers

Thank you for your help.

Can the Celestion F12-X200 in a 1 X 12 cab with the correct IR's sound like a American speaker - Fender Deluxe or Super reverb - then Marshall Plexi - Rivera - Matchless AC30 for example.

This would loaded in a birch ported cabinet.

LX II Stereo Power Amp with a FX3 is the rest of the rig.

Used in a live gig with drummer, bass player, organ and vocalist - can a single 12 at 100 watts RMS cut through the mix?

Cheers

Yes it will sound like what your preset is. The F12’s aren’t purely flat but they do sound good. 100 watts will keep up with a band, but it would be better to have more headroom. Cutting through the mix isn’t only a volume thing, it also depends where you sit in the frequency spectrum. I’d try your 100 watt before buying another amp because you may well be happy with it.

Hello. I currently use two KRK G4 Rokit 5 studio monitors with IRs at home, which have a very straight frequency response. Additionally, I mix a G212 Harley Benton cab with two Chinese Greenbacks G12M and Marshall Basketweave without IR along with a Harley Benton GPA 400 Class D amp. I think of this as a type of 3-way sound system, where the cabinet takes over the “subwoofer” and the cab in the room simulation.

I mainly play AC/DC based on Mesa Boogies (Donington Live Sound) or Plexis with Marshall G12V IRs.

I would like to replace the sound of the Greenbacks with an FRFR speaker and use IRs there too to be more flexible with sound changes. That's why I'm thinking about the Celestion F12-X200 or the Celestion F12M-150 because they're cheap and I can use my existing cabinet/amp. I did not like a headrush before.

Now I tried to simulate the characteristics of the speakers with my KRKs:

Once with a PEQ filter at 5.5 GHz with -12 dB (V-shape), like the F12, and a filter from 10 KHz with -20 dB like the F12M (\-shape). At 5GHz this had a big impact on the KRK sound. My AC/DC sound lost a lot of its crisp highs (the Greenbacks have also lost part of their sound). However, at 10GHz I hear almost no change.

That's why I think the F12M-150 is better for me and I also suspect that Celestion sees it more as a true linear FRFR replacement (up to 10Ghz) and the F12 more as an alternative to classic guitar speakers (like the G12M), but which ones also tolerates IRs.

I don't want the speaker to change the sound, that's what the IRs are supposed to do. But I also want the 12" guitar speaker feel and the cab-in-the-room effect.

I've also seen the F12M get a bit louder at higher frequencies (not quite linear), but I think it's still better to remove some volume via PEQ at those frequencies than to have a speaker that only has "low Volume” produce @ 5.5 GHz (which seems to be necessary for AC/DC rock sound). I read somewhere that simply increasing the volume @ 5.5GHz isn't a good way to compensate such a problem ("removing data that already exists is better than creating data that doesn't exist") .

What do you think about my exam?

Last edited:
I chose the 150s for similar reasons (noting the big 5.5k dip in the X200's curve), but I'm no expert + the 150s fit better in the enclosures I used + were more $ friendly. So far so good for a basement hacker - responds consistently to IRs and reasonably in the same ballpark as my studio monitors with any given IR'd tone, but with a more guitar cab / AITR vibe.

Back
Top Bottom