CC to send tempo?

jumperboy

I know there is a way to send tap tempo information to the Axe II, and that separating the sends by X milliseconds, you can arrive at a tempo setting. But I was wondering if there is just a way to send a midi command to the Axe II in the format of BPM?

Thanks,
John

Are you referring to something other than 'Tap Tempo'. By default Axe II receives this on CC#14. Set an IA on your controller for CC#14 and give it a little tappa tappa tappa.

When I was your age I would have killed for a little tappa tappa tappa.

Does anyone know where that line is from?

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Simpsons Last Tap dance in Springfield

Lisa: Yeah, well, no offense, but maybe I need a little more instruction than just tappa-tappa-tappa.
Vicki: Why, back when I was your age, I had 43 movies under my belt, and I had to do it without tappa-tappa-tappa. I would've killed for tappa-tappa-tappa.

I know there is a way to send tap tempo information to the Axe II, and that separating the sends by X milliseconds, you can arrive at a tempo setting. But I was wondering if there is just a way to send a midi command to the Axe II in the format of BPM?

Thanks,
John

Send it a midi clock signal for bpm.

I sure hope that was from memory and not from google. You are correct!

Simpsons Last Tap dance in Springfield

Lisa: Yeah, well, no offense, but maybe I need a little more instruction than just tappa-tappa-tappa.
Vicki: Why, back when I was your age, I had 43 movies under my belt, and I had to do it without tappa-tappa-tappa. I would've killed for tappa-tappa-tappa.

Send it a midi clock signal for bpm.

OK. I don't think my controller does this yet, and I was wondering if there is just a way to send the bpm in the same way that you can assign a number to other parameters. No worries. I'll continue to save song patches with the tempo. Just experimenting with "song mode" on my new controller!

Thanks,
John

Are you referring to something other than 'Tap Tempo'. By default Axe II receives this on CC#14. Set an IA on your controller for CC#14 and give it a little tappa tappa tappa.

Sent from my iPod.

Yeah, I was thinking there might be something other than tap tempo...

Thanks,
John

I don't know if there's any sysex command for that. Even entering a BPM manually in axe edit just sends out 2 tap tempo CCs at that rate.

I don't know if there's any sysex command for that. Even entering a BPM manually in axe edit just sends out 2 tap tempo CCs at that rate.

I'm having a buddy build me a 4 switch box with a multi cable to plug into my 4 MFC switch inputs. I'd like one of these to be the Tap Tempo because I use it most often and want it positioned in easiest location. I know the 3 "non-tap tempo" switches will be standard toggle/ latching. But, if I put a tap tempo switch in this box, should it be momentary or just toggle/ latching like all the other IAs? Bakerman & shotgunn's comments seems to indicate that it is latching as all others.

It doesn't really matter--any value of the CC# is interpreted as a tap, and ideally you wouldn't set a momentary switch to actually work momentary-style for that. (The Axe will ignore a second tap CC within a small time window of the first but you'd only be adding the potential for screwing up the tempo if you keep your foot on the switch too long.) You'd have the most options with every switch being momentary because then you can decide how each works (latching or momentary) per preset. With a latching switch there's no way to imitate momentary operation.

It doesn't really matter--any value of the CC# is interpreted as a tap, and ideally you wouldn't set a momentary switch to actually work momentary-style for that. (The Axe will ignore a second tap CC within a small time window of the first but you'd only be adding the potential for screwing up the tempo if you keep your foot on the switch too long.) You'd have the most options with every switch being momentary because then you can decide how each works (latching or momentary) per preset. With a latching switch there's no way to imitate momentary operation.

Thanks for your quick response. Although, it leaves me a bit confused. I scoured the MFC manual prior to posting and it seems to say that you would use latching switches (in MFC settings) in nearly all cases. My question is re: hardware switch types (which aren't really covered). You seem to be saying (and manual somewhat implies) that it doesn't matter what type of hardware switch you have, the MFC/ Axe will "see" it as whatever you set up in External Switch Hardware Type. Is this the case? IE: you can use a momentary switch and tell the MFC it is latching but not visa versa? So, to be clear, even if I put 4 momentary switches in this box, they can all be set to momentary or latching in External Switch Hardware Type. And, Re: tap tempo, it doesn't matter what you set in External Switch Hardware Type?Just out of curiosity, are all MFC IA switches momentary?

Thank You!

"Type" in manual sec. 8.1 tells the MFC what type of hardware is actually connected. The other type setting in 8.2 (the one you can override per preset) determines what the MFC does in response to the switch. With a momentary switch you can choose between this:

Press switch: 127
Release switch: nothing
Press switch: 0

and this:

Release switch: 0

(or whatever you set for the on/off values.)

With a latching switch the second scenario isn't possible, because the MFC has no way to tell when you release the switch. I think just about every controller only has momentary hardware. If one didn't it couldn't offer the option of momentary style IAs or do things like scroll through menus/values by holding the switch/button.

"Type" in manual sec. 8.1 tells the MFC what type of hardware is actually connected. The other type setting in 8.2 (the one you can override per preset) determines what the MFC does in response to the switch. With a momentary switch you can choose between this:

Press switch: 0

and this:

Release switch: 0

(or whatever you set for the on/off values.)

With a latching switch the second scenario isn't possible, because the MFC has no way to tell when you release the switch. I think just about every controller only has momentary hardware. If one didn't it couldn't offer the option of momentary style IAs or do things like scroll through menus/values by holding the switch/button.

Thanks Bakerman! This totally makes sense and, believe it or not, I've been over those manual sections a dozen times. But, nowhere in there does it tell you what type of external switch to use. I get how to tell the MFC what to do. But, I was just uncertain whether it would respond the same to either type of external switch. And, actually, it doesn't because it cannot make a latching switch momentary but it can do the reverse.

So, Bottom line: use momentary only and let the MFC decide, right?

Thx Again!

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Hey shotgunn, Im responding to the tappa tappa question; I have a IA switch set to 14 and when I tap it the light responds but the delay times dont change? does the tempo have to be set to something other than none? what might be going on? thanks. hope you are better (ps Im an MD family practice)

Hey shotgunn, Im responding to the tappa tappa question; I have a IA switch set to 14 and when I tap it the light responds but the delay times dont change? does the tempo have to be set to something other than none? what might be going on? thanks. hope you are better (ps Im an MD family practice)

As bakerman said in the other thread. The tempo needs to be set to something other than none. The whole divide be zero thing ;)
If it doesn't know what subdivisions you want, the tempo is meaningless.

I'm getting by man. Thanx for asking!

Back
Top Bottom