Carrying case?

I travel quite a bit with my AX8 - planes trains and automobiles so my needs are: good protection, lightweight and simple. Protection is obviously the most important but weight is a major concern so that rules out road cases. I want something that has nice padding all around the edges and a sturdy bottom. Also, a wide opening rather than top loading is important because I have other people packing my stuff up as often as I do it myself so it needs to be intuitive. I searched DJ stuff and found this pack which I think is the one so I thought I'd share:

Oddysey Remix 2 10" backpack

Looks like a winner for me.

So I bought the 26" Pedalboard case from SEISMIC AUDIO for $99.
So far it's holding:
AX8
EV1
3 plug multi
and a G-10 dock

I doubt I could get another EV in there but maybe 2 Missions. It's all packed in pretty tight. The case is way over built for $99 and it came with the feet on the top, instead of the pedalboard part. Easy fix. It's well worth the price tag.

I travel quite a bit with my AX8 - planes trains and automobiles so my needs are: good protection, lightweight and simple. Protection is obviously the most important but weight is a major concern so that rules out road cases. I want something that has nice padding all around the edges and a sturdy bottom. Also, a wide opening rather than top loading is important because I have other people packing my stuff up as often as I do it myself so it needs to be intuitive. I searched DJ stuff and found this pack which I think is the one so I thought I'd share:

Not the 12"??

These look decent but the Mono 365 is possibly the best backpack choice. Heavy/double stitched, extra heavy rivets, etc. It does look a little wider though. I personally HATE any backpack. The Remix definitely looks well built.

These look decent but the Mono 365 is possibly the best backpack choice. Heavy/double stitched, extra heavy rivets, etc. It does look a little wider though. I personally HATE any backpack. The Remix definitely looks well built.

I also want to fit a small Tec Puma 900 amp and the usual cords, etc..... The separation and organized layout was pushing me more towards the remix
.... And probably the larger one. I'll take a good read on the mono 365 specs.

That's the Clear winner!!! I already use the Mono Vertigo with the Tick, so I should have known that the product was hip and well designed.

@BigRalphN thanks for saving me!!!!!

Yes. The Mono 365 is the best solution I've found so far. Now if they could just come up with a closure that doesn't stress the top cover (so you can pick it up with the lid open) and allows you to actually zip the main compartment closed.

Personally, imlike the backpack feature. When I have to hump my gear across long distances or up and down stairs, I like to be able to strap the heavy stuff on my back and carry my guitar by hand.

Not the 12"??
I'm a minimalist and fly frequently so the 10" is a perfect snug fit. I have a mini expression pedal that takes up very little room. I think I could fit my laptop in the bag as well. Update** In the end I went with an Icipio backpack I had laying around for quick grab n go gigs and bought a road case for longer trips so I could leave the AX-8 with the crew and not have to lug back n forth to the hotel.

I do find that having a hard case that would protect the AX8, even if it happened to be dropped, gives me great peace of mind when I'm packing up and transporting.

I think in all of this there is a place for people to pick their poison: size, durability, hard case, soft case, handles/straps, zippers or latches, backpack, briefcase, wheels, storage or portability. It's all out there, but you can't really have everything in one package.

Another good option at a great price ($49!!!). I saw this bag in the store yesterday and would have bought one if I needed something for my AX8 or hadn't been in the process of buying stuff for a guitar build.
upload_2017-9-1_22-46-10.png
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...rk-bag-and-shoulder-strap/p-1444450719452.htm

The main compartment is padded all around and sized to easily fit an AX8 plus a padded laptop separator inside that could be used to a keep a tablet or cables away from the AX8. The big outside pocket looked just big enough for an Moog EP3 or smaller. Also, a couple more pockets for other small gear or cords. I think the lid has a stash too but not sure. Defintely built well.

I do find that having a hard case that would protect the AX8, even if it happened to be dropped, gives me great peace of mind when I'm packing up and transporting.

I think in all of this there is a place for people to pick their poison: size, durability, hard case, soft case, handles/straps, zippers or latches, backpack, briefcase, wheels, storage or portability. It's all out there, but you can't really have everything in one package.
Yup, I want everything in 1 case to rule them all - full protection, lightweight, small but roomy, inexpensive but really well made, etc etc etc, hahaha. In the end I split the middle and now have a road case for flying and a backpack for local.

Here's my backpack after I made some little foam bumpers and a screen protector.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 109
Has anyone tried going to the luggage section at a department store? Those things are specifically designed to be abused. And they've got wheels.
I've tried every kind of case. Sometimes I put the AX8 in my spinner (4wheel) suitcase and check it when I fly. It means I can't fit my shoes though so that doesn't work if I'm away for more than a few days. Suitcases are a bit bulky for me. DJ backpacks made for laptops and controllers seem to be the best weight / size / protection ratio.

Another good option at a great price ($49!!!). I saw this bag in the store yesterday and would have bought one if I needed something for my AX8 or hadn't been in the process of buying stuff for a guitar build.
View attachment 41565
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...rk-bag-and-shoulder-strap/p-1444450719452.htm

The main compartment is padded all around and sized to easily fit an AX8 plus a padded laptop separator inside that could be used to a keep a tablet or cables away from the AX8. The big outside pocket looked just big enough for an Moog EP3 or smaller. Also, a couple more pockets for other small gear or cords. I think the lid has a stash too but not sure. Defintely built well.

I just happen to be by a Menards this weekend and stopped in to look at this case. It is impressive, especially for a soft-sided, padded case. It has internal reinforcements for stability/durability and protection.

For those looking to transport the AX8 as well as a laptop, this would be tough to beat. Extra room for cables and probably an expression pedal are there. There certainly isn't enough room for everything under the sun. But what a perfect case for AX8 & laptop and all the requisite connectors.

Really tough to beat this, IMO.

I just happen to be by a Menards this weekend and stopped in to look at this case. It is impressive, especially for a soft-sided, padded case. It has internal reinforcements for stability/durability and protection.

For those looking to transport the AX8 as well as a laptop, this would be tough to beat. Extra room for cables and probably an expression pedal are there. There certainly isn't enough room for everything under the sun. But what a perfect case for AX8 & laptop and all the requisite connectors.

Really tough to beat this, IMO.
That's some good field work by you! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom