Can't Beat Warmoth

Similar to Simeon's, this Warmoth 7/8 "S" type guitar is also a 24.75" scale, but with a swamp ash body and a birds eye maple neck with an ebony fretboard. It is an HSS pickup configuration with a Seymour Duncan AH1 paired with 2 Suhr V60 LP single coils. It plays like a dream and has a very good tonal range. I have used it for many gigs and recording sessions, and it is probably one of the most stable guitars in my collection. As I have had this guitar for about thirty years, my only regret is that it doesn't have stainless frets, and may be needing a fret job in the near future.

IMG_2725.JPG

I wish they had headless constructions. Strandbergs are terribly overprices, chinese stuff are a rigged lottery, most luthiers never built one.

As do I.

I know a few satisfied Strandberg owners but have heard of some quality issues as well. Sorry you're having trouble with yours. They are comfy.

My only issue with buying warmoth is exactly what you experienced Cliff - the resale value is brutal. Great for a secondhand buyer though!

I have a Musikraft neck on my MJT Tele body and nobody that plays this guitar doesn't fall in love with it.

I hate this shit. The tuning issues on my Strandberg are worst of all I've seen including EARTs. Seem unfixable and made worse because of slanting.
Was this a new Strandberg and/or older used? There had to be something seriously wrong on your Standberg. This is not the norm and exact opposite from my experience. Was this a Tremolo version? If the trem was ever removed or strings loosened to where the trem could become improperly seated this will cause major problems. Meaning it’s possible to have the trem seated and seem correct, but it’s not.

Did it need fret levelling or maybe had that done already?
I have purchased about 10 Warmoth necks. I have done a level and crown to all of them to make them play their best. Never any regrets.
I recently have been adding a little fall away from the 12th fret on up. All fret work by local highly skilled luthier.
I'm really picky about notes sounding clean in the high registers.
I play my electrics a lot acoustically.

Was this a new Strandberg and/or older used?
A brand new Metal 6 straight from the factory, I've waited for a few months to get it from the dealer. Fixed bridge one. I've posted a long long rant here about it some time ago. Literally the worst guitar I've ever had on all accounts, QC is close to none and build quality is of $200 Chinese rip-off. Imagine this - the distance between 3rd and 4st string is 1mm bigger than between the rest of them. How about that? Ugh. But it does most of the things I need from it right now, until I find a good headless light guitar.
When I've asked them how to fix this, they advised to unscrew the seat and move it. I'd never buy anything else from them, just never.

A brand new Metal 6 straight from the factory, I've waited for a few months to get it from the dealer. Fixed bridge one. I've posted a long long rant here about it some time ago. Literally the worst guitar I've ever had on all accounts, QC is close to none and build quality is of $200 Chinese rip-off. Imagine this - the distance between 3rd and 4st string is 1mm bigger than between the rest of them. How about that? Ugh. But it does most of the things I need from it right now, until I find a good headless light guitar.
When I've asked them how to fix this, they advised to unscrew the seat and move it. I'd never buy anything else from them, just never.
Totally the opposite of my experience. I must have missed your post. I don’t want to hijack this thread, but It’s almost like we’re talking about two different companies.

Was this a new Strandberg and/or older used? There had to be something seriously wrong on your Standberg. This is not the norm and exact opposite from my experience. Was this a Tremolo version? If the trem was ever removed or strings loosened to where the trem could become improperly seated this will cause major problems. Meaning it’s possible to have the trem seated and seem correct, but it’s not.
My original 6 never goes out of tune and the QC was mostly very good but I do occasionally see Strandbergs with minor issues . They can all be easily fixed though. I wouldn't write of a company on one Friday afternoon guitar personally because that wouldn't leave many (if any).

I have purchased about 10 Warmoth necks. I have done a level and crown to all of them to make them play their best. Never any regrets.
I recently have been adding a little fall away from the 12th fret on up. All fret work by local highly skilled luthier.
I'm really picky about notes sounding clean in the high registers.
I play my electrics a lot acoustically.
Yes a few thou of fall away is a great idea as it can just make for a zero buzz neck. It's hard to explain but when perfect even with a low action and a hard pick attack you just get a percussive hit on the next fret and then a clean note. Never a fizzle or buzz. You can only get this out of a guitar with a perfect relief architecture and a perfect fret dress that includes a hair of fall away . If your neck flexes in a less than perfect way (80% of guitars regardless of price IME) no matter how perfect the fret level is this is impossible without Plek. And no the Stewmac string tension jig is no alternative. It is possible to get close by hand but you would be stringing the guitar up at least three times and would need to be able to estimate the issues and their correction by experience. Anyone who thinks a fret dress by even the most experienced tech is better I'm afraid is wrong. The Plek (with a good operator ) can apply the perfect relief architecture and the fret level in the frets even if the fingerboard is off under tension.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been already discuss, but someone knows a good alternative to Warmoth for European market?
I feel that every stock guitar is always missing something, but I don't want to pay the extra for a luthier custom build..
(I need to save money for my kids university :tearsofjoy: )

Maybe @Andy Eagle ?

Sorry if this has been already discuss, but someone knows a good alternative to Warmoth for European market?
I feel that every stock guitar is always missing something, but I don't want to pay the extra for a luthier custom build..
(I need to save money for my kids university :tearsofjoy: )

Maybe @Andy Eagle ?

I don't have experience with them, but I while ago I found this:

Germany:
https://www.musicstore.com/en_IT/EUR/Guitars/Necks-Bodies/cat-GITARRE-GITERSNECK
https://guitarpartscenter.eu/
Hungary:
https://stageshop.hu/en/guitar-parts/guitar-and-bass-bodies
Italy:
https://www.allpartswood.com/

Back
Top Bottom