Can't Beat Warmoth

I've bought parts from Stratosphereparts.com, too. A good choice for building a "custom" off-the-shelf guitar with the options you want.

So far, I have just purchased new and used (mint) bodies. Pleasantly surprised at the quality of deals you can score with them. Might go shopping this afternoon..Lol

I never understood their business model. Are they sourcing second stock/b-stock guitars then parting them out? Or are they just disassembling brand new guitars and parting those out?
I don't get it either. I think it's the latter, parting-out new guitars. Just basing that on new listing and it seeming like all the parts needed to assemble appear at the same time.

If someone knows how it really works, I hope they chime-in.

I don't get it either. I think it's the latter, parting-out new guitars. Just basing that on new listing and it seeming like all the parts needed to assemble appear at the same time.

The bottom of the main page says:

DISCLAIMER
The STRATosphere is not affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments. Strat®, Stratocaster®, Esquire®, Telecaster®, Tele®, Jazzmaster®, Jaguar®, Mustang®, P Bass®, J Bass®, Fender® and the distinctive headstock design of Fender guitars are registered trademarks of Fender® Musical Instruments. All applicable Fender products are covered under warranty by The STRATosphere.
The STRATosphere is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or affiliated with Gibson Brands, Inc. LES PAUL®, SG®, ES®, EXPLORER®, FLYING V®, GIBSON®, the corresponding body shape designs and headstock designs are registered trademarks of Gibson Brands, Inc. The STRATosphere is not an authorized dealer or reseller of Gibson products. Therefore, Gibson products purchased through The STRATosphere are not covered under warranty by Gibson Brands, Inc.

The STRATosphere is not affiliated with Paul Reed Smith Guitars, Limited Partnership. Paul Reed Smith®, PRS®, Custom 24®, Custom 22®, McCarty®, Special Semi-Hollow®, Hollow Body®, Studio®, Modern Eagle V®, 509®, Paul’s Guitar®, DGT®, Mark Tremonti Signature®, Santana Retro®, CE-24®, Silver Sky®, Fiore®, S2®, SE®, S2 Standard®, SE Standard®, Mira®, Starla®, Vela®, Mark Holcomb Signature®, Zach Myers Signature® and the distinctive headstock, body design, hardware & electronics of PRS guitars are registered trademarks of Paul Reed Smith Guitars. All applicable PRS products are covered under warranty exclusively by The STRATosphere.

I see they also sell unfinished bodies, necks with paddle headstocks, etc... There is no "about" or similar section that explains how there model works.

I assumed they bought stuff that was flawed and then sold the good bits, but maybe not?

The bottom of the main page says:

I see they also sell unfinished bodies, necks with paddle headstocks, etc... There is no "about" or similar section that explains how there model works.

I assumed they bought stuff that was flawed and then sold the good bits, but maybe not?
That would make sense, maybe more likely than parting-out perfectly good guitars.

Most of there Inventory seems to come from a local shop to them & me called Manchester Music Mill & is mainly new guitars that seems to be Ether Excess inventory or guitars that just aren't selling along with some Used/Cosmetically flawed/B Stock items that they part out. But I'm also pretty sure they do orders for stuff tru Music Mill and get some kind of discount as well as all there Custom Shop Fender Neck & Bodies have Manchester Music Mills phone # on the Spec/Order sheet & they seem to stock all the Guitar & part brands Music Mill is dealer for. case in point is Music Mill is a huge Fender Dealer and a smaller Gibson dealer and well Stratosphere stock a huge amount of Fender parts and smaller amount of Gibson. They've recently in the past few years been becoming authorized dealer for some part brands like Floyd Rose.

Most of there Inventory seems to come from a local shop to them & me called Manchester Music Mill & is mainly new guitars that seems to be Ether Excess inventory or guitars that just aren't selling along with some Used/Cosmetically flawed/B Stock items that they part out. But I'm also pretty sure they do orders for stuff tru Music Mill and get some kind of discount as well as all there Custom Shop Fender Neck & Bodies have Manchester Music Mills phone # on the Spec/Order sheet & they seem to stock all the Guitar & part brands Music Mill is dealer for. case in point is Music Mill is a huge Fender Dealer and a smaller Gibson dealer and well Stratosphere stock a huge amount of Fender parts and smaller amount of Gibson. They've recently in the past few years been becoming authorized dealer for some part brands like Floyd Rose.
Ah, that would explain it!

I completely agree.

Ordered my « custom » telecaster in 2005. It’s my main guitar and I’m in love with it.

Bought a Warmoth Strat off eBay. $400. Like new. Birdseye maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, roller nut, locking tuners, alder body, quilt maple top. Had some cheap single coils in it.

Put a couple Duncan single coils in it and a JB Trembucker in the bridge and it rips. Plays like butter. Easily competes with my $5K+ Suhrs and Tom Andersons.

Total investment about $600 and a couple hours of time.
I absolutely agree with you.
I started modifying American Standards around 1992. The terrible tremolo out and reasonable pickups installed. Since the 90s I play only Warmoth. So far I have built 20 of them.
Fender, Suhr, Anderson? I don't need them. I have exact ideas how a guitar has to be for me.
For a Pink Floyd musical I once rebuilt the Blackie. I sent the Warmoth parts to a guitar builder. He did the aging. Compared to the Fender Custom Shop model, this one has better pickups and hardware. And a very nice compound radius. And most importantly SS 6105 frets. I also built a kind of Jeff Beck model. The neck looks fantastic.

I had the Warmoth label on the neck plate on this one at the beginning. A friend of mine played it and told us it was very good, but not as good as a real Suhr. A year later, I removed the Warmoth label and put a Suhr sticker on it. The same guitarist was now absolutely thrilled and said there is just nothing like the original 🙂

Attachments

• BK.png
    BK.png
    3 MB · Views: 30
  • JB.png
    JB.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom