Can you assign multiple effects to one switch on a midi foot controller?

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
Can you assign multiple effects from the Axe FxII to one switch on a midi foot controller?
If so, How?

So within one preset you could say step on say pedal 1 and get Compressor, Chorus, and Delay;
Step on pedal 2 and get Octavia and Fuzz Face;
Step on pedal 3 and get Tube Driver and Tube Screamer, and echo;
Step on pedal 4 and get Bigg Muff and Low Octaver, etc?

In the IO tab under MIDI make sure the effects both have the same control number as the switch on on the foot controller I did this when I put a tube drive I front of a mono delay to have them activate at the sametime

Scott

You can also set the switch to an EXT CTRL CC# instead, then assign that per preset to various effects/parameters.

You can also set the switch to an EXT CTRL CC# instead, then assign that per preset to various effects/parameters.
I thought that each switches' assignments were global across all presets. Does this mean you can set say switch #10 to be Delay on one preset and Chorus + Drive on another preset?

I thought that each switches' assignments were global across all presets. Does this mean you can set say switch #10 to be Delay on one preset and Chorus + Drive on another preset?

Yes with the EXT CTRL approach. Press enter on a block's byp. mode control to assign a bypass modifier.

Maybe it's just me, but that method could be very hard to recall since it would be changing on a preset to preset basis. It sounds versatile though. My frayed mind would have trouble remembering. I also imagine it would make for some cluttered looking labels as well. IMHO.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Sweet. So just to follow my example above, I could use the 'learn' feature in General Mode by selecting the Chorus and then stepping on switch #10, and then do the same with the Drive, and both will be assigned to that switch?

What if I wanted to also have the Drive separately controlled by another switch in the same preset? (for example, for a song where one solo has Drive+Chorus, and another solo has just Drive). Is that possible, or would I need to use multiple MFC patches with the various effect on/off states saved in each?

And yea, this could get confusing, although I think I could set it up with some standard configs that wouldn't be so hard to remember. I have the same issue on my GT-8 now.

Either that, or we'll have to ask Sukh to come up with a way for his pedalboard labels to also auto-configure themselves for every patch! ;-)

It sounds like just plain preset switching to me based on the OP?

Use global amps / efx to simplify creating multiple patches and then just change patches? Each patch having the same fundamental block set (see yek's presets for a good example) but with different block in bypass as per the original post.

Richard

I'd prefer to set it up as multiple MFC presets, all pointing to the same Axe preset, if it can be done. That might be what you meant? The biggest reason is to simplify management... if you make a change to one Axe preset you'd also have to make sure you mirrored those changes in the others. Global blocks would help, but I'm thinking about things like overall patch level, changing the order of fx blocks, moving patches to new locations, etc.

What I really want to figure out is if I can have the same effect block be controlled by more than one switch... ??

Sweet. So just to follow my example above, I could use the 'learn' feature in General Mode by selecting the Chorus and then stepping on switch #10, and then do the same with the Drive, and both will be assigned to that switch?

Yes if you want that switch to toggle those blocks (or possibly just one or none) in every preset. Unlike using an EXT CTRL as modifier, you wouldn't be able to assign it to various things in different ways per preset.

What if I wanted to also have the Drive separately controlled by another switch in the same preset? (for example, for a song where one solo has Drive+Chorus, and another solo has just Drive). Is that possible, or would I need to use multiple MFC patches with the various effect on/off states saved in each?

There is a way to do that: put multiple BYP or EXT CTRL CCs on the group switch (adding custom hex you could get up to 7 CCs) then put any/all of those CCs individually on other switches. Just remember the single-CC switches won't automatically follow the state of the group switch.

Creating everything you need for a song in one preset eliminates the slight delay and cut off of the sound that you get when changing presets.

I made three presets last night, a clean Eric Johnson preset, an Eric Johnson dirty rhythm preset, and an Eric Johnson lead preset.
I thought I would be able to switch between those presets smoothly like Eric does with his A/B boxes. Not so. There is a slight drop of sound when changing presets with midi. I talked to tech support and they told me this is normal, and just the way it is with all midi preset switching.

Turning off and on anything within a preset is seemless with no sound dropouts. So for me anyway, I want to create a few presets that do all I want for that particular song in one preset. So being able to turn on and off multiple effects with one button is useful to me. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon.

All the very best!
Terry

Yes if you want that switch to toggle those blocks (or possibly just one or none) in every preset. Unlike using an EXT CTRL as modifier, you wouldn't be able to assign it to various things in different ways per preset... ... There is a way to do that: put multiple BYP or EXT CTRL CCs on the group switch...
Ok, I set up multiple fx controlled from a single switch, using the IO menu and the Bypass function of each fx block. Then, I was able to assign CC#s in the Edit > Midi menu on the MFC and could control 2 fx from one switch, and one of those on another switch. But that became a Global setting - it's the same in every patch. How do you set it up to assign to different blocks per preset? Thanks!

Ok, I set up multiple fx controlled from a single switch, using the IO menu and the Bypass function of each fx block. Then, I was able to assign CC#s in the Edit > Midi menu on the MFC and could control 2 fx from one switch, and one of those on another switch. But that became a Global setting - it's the same in every patch. How do you set it up to assign to different blocks per preset? Thanks!

Change the IA to Axe-FX function "none" and set it to the CC# for one of the 12 EXT CTRL items (also found at the I/O: CTRL page). Go to the edit view of a block, press enter on its byp. mode control, set source to that EXT CTRL #, store preset. You can swap the modifier min/max or start/end values if you want the block state to be opposite of the switch state.

Did that, and everything worked as you described. But now I'm back to the other question... how do I also control the same fx from another switch?

It seems like we can either have fx controlled by multiple switches that are set globally, or per preset but then only can be controlled by a single switch. Am I missing something? (likely ;-)

One example:

Switch 1: CC#47

Switch 2: CC#49

Switch 3: CC#47 + CC#49

Switches 1 & 2 would toggle Delay 1 & Drive 1 separately, switch 3 would toggle both together. With the 2 normal CCs plus custom hex you can have up to 7 CCs on one IA switch. Some or all of the CCs could be EXT CTRLs instead of specific block bypasses.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but that method could be very hard to recall since it would be changing on a preset to preset basis. It sounds versatile though. My frayed mind would have trouble remembering. I also imagine it would make for some cluttered looking labels as well. IMHO.
Just label the switch "Special 1." Then you can use it as the "magic switch" for any patch you want to do something funky with.

you could always assign that button to control the CC's that you want :S......depends how many CC's the midi controller can send out...

EDIT whoops didn't see there was a 2nd page...what bakerman said!

One example:

Switch 1: CC#47

Switch 2: CC#49

Switch 3: CC#47 + CC#49

Switches 1 & 2 would toggle Delay 1 & Drive 1 separately, switch 3 would toggle both together. With the 2 normal CCs plus custom hex you can have up to 7 CCs on one IA switch. Some or all of the CCs could be EXT CTRLs instead of specific block bypasses.
This right here....is a goldmine!!!! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom