Can anybody point me in the right direction for this effect?

Jason1620

At 1:43 of this video, there's a long delay effect going on but it sounds like something else is added to it. I'm really not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

At 1:43 of this video, there's a long delay effect going on but it sounds like something else is added to it. I'm really not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Yup. Analog delay with a high cut on the repeats — and some diffusion as well. Here's a preset to get you started. Tweak to taste and to suit your guitar.

Attachments

• Clocks Blurred Delay rx.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
Hey Jason,
Try using the lo fi tape with high feedback and mix....it will go into slight self oscillation giving you this effect!! And the high end wont be a problem either coz tape delay repeats go darker!!

Hey Jason,
Try using the lo fi tape with high feedback and mix....it will go into slight self oscillation giving you this effect!! And the high end wont be a problem either coz tape delay repeats go darker!!

Spot on. Sounds like a Roland RE-201 Space Echo set just on the point of going into perpetual feedback. At least with an Axe you can control the diffusion and pitch of the repeats, because that was a challenge with the old tape units. Sounded great though.

Liam

Can I jump on the bandwagon here please and ask if anyone can figure out how to replicate the tone on this one at 3.22-3.24 on the descending harmonic? It's been bugging the hell out of me since about 1983

Can I jump on the bandwagon here please and ask if anyone can figure out how to replicate the tone on this one at 3.22-3.24 on the descending harmonic? It's been bugging the hell out of me since about 1983

Hey ,

Check this link..great lesson of this song....

Check 9.20 min mark for the specific thing you asked

Thanks but, as he admits, he has no idea of the effect used and that's what I'm trying to figure out. It almost sounds like it is going down a drainpipe or something.

Thanks but, as he admits, he has no idea of the effect used and that's what I'm trying to figure out. It almost sounds like it is going down a drainpipe or something.
Its most probably a flanger....steve stevens did use it...i mean a lot of people used flangers and choruses a lot in the 80s...it was they hey day of refrigerator sized rack units....!! Try it.

i reckon that's guitar through a reverb which has then been reversed. he's just hitting a harmonic and doing a reverse dive bomb. there may be a bit of phase or flange on it as well.

Reactions: Rex
Yeah sounds like reverse reverb and/or delay. You record the guitar track, then play it backwards through a reverb and/or delay and record that to a new track. Then you reverse the new track, so the original playing is back to normal but now has a reversed pre-reverb sound that fades into the track instead of trailing after it. Very spooky and cool sound, but impossible to do in real time unless you can time travel.

A quick and dirty way to do it in the box for short phrases might be to use the reverse delay (set to 100% wet and long delay time to fit the whole phrase) fed into a reverb or slap delay with a decent amount of feedback. Record that with the looper and then reverse the loop playback.

ha ha. not too complex then LOL.

Thank you so much for the excellent explanation. That's what I love about this forum - the wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share it.

Yeah sounds like reverse reverb and/or delay. You record the guitar track, then play it backwards through a reverb and/or delay and record that to a new track. Then you reverse the new track, so the original playing is back to normal but now has a reversed pre-reverb sound that fades into the track instead of trailing after it.

I think the dry sound is reversed too, from 3:23-3:33 or at least the two harmonics. If you reverse the track, the attack/decay all sounds more normal if you can ignore everything else being backwards. So, record with reverb then reverse it all. There's a short reverb (or possibly slap delay) added to the final result, so this still sounds kind of unusual reversed as you get a quick note/swell before the real attack.

Yeah I was thinking maybe the same thing. Given the phrasing it may have been just a backwards track with a bunch of effects on it. It sounds like one of those "Let's turn on everything" kind of super processed things.

Back
Top Bottom