Cab Ultra-Res vs Standard - Is it Worth It?

elvis

Experienced
I've been putting together single presets with a bit of flexibility to cover gigs. These run up the processor, and I've been getting into the red, if not hitting overload. I have been using Ultra-res on Cab IRs, presuming it's worth it. Some people have been showcasing similar presets where they don't use Ultra-Res IRs.

The Ultra-res takes about 4% processor headroom per cabinet (so 8% with 2 cabs). It really limits the flexibility of a preset to include a Plex Delay, and I'm not getting into esoteric stuff like Pitch, Resonator or Multi/Ten-tap Delay.

Is the quality worth it?

I prefer to stay normal and save a little cpu to do something else if needed especially for live

My presets are really low cpu in general, mainly because I hardly never engage Reverbs.
I also always set my cabs to ultra-res as a rule because the difference is really noticeable. More depth and definition.

My presets are really low cpu in general, mainly because I hardly never engage Reverbs.
I also always set my cabs to ultra-res as a rule because the difference is really noticeable. More depth and definition.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding how the FM9 is set up, but I thought amps and cab usage does not affect reverb and delay since each utilizes it’s own chip.

Am I mistaken here?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding how the FM9 is set up, but I thought amps and cab usage does not affect reverb and delay since each utilizes it’s own chip.

Am I mistaken here?
That is my understanding as well. I roll with high-res reverb and multiple reverb blocks for that reason.

I'm pretty sure the FM9 res selection makes no difference in effective CPU use. Not 100% sure, but at least mid 90's. I set all mine to ultra with HQ reverb and HQ cab pre's.

I'm pretty sure the FM9 res selection makes no difference in effective CPU use. Not 100% sure, but at least mid 90's. I set all mine to ultra with HQ reverb and HQ cab pre's.

Am I mistaken here?

Correct - once a delay / reverb block is added there is little to no difference in CPU usage based on changes in resolution.

For cab resolution - there is definitely a few % bump moving to Ultra

Correct - once a delay / reverb block is added there is little to no difference in CPU usage based on changes in resolution.

For cab resolution - there is definitely a few % bump moving to Ultra
My tests show 4% per cab (so 8% with 2 cabs paralleled in a cab block)

The Cab block does not run on a dedicated core. It definitely counts again your overall CPU use.

Run mine at 512 - can't hear a diff compared to 1024 or Max. Finally a benefit to my bad hearing: 8% CPU Gain

I have mine on the FM9 always on Ultra Res, but y presets are usually between 40 and 60% CPU so I have the space.

Studio recording: Ultra-Res. Practice or Live Use: No one's gonna be able to hear the difference; Economy or Normal unless you're Eric Johnson. ;)

P.S. @Rex, how're those spreadsheets coming along...?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom