Cab Ultra-Res vs Standard - Is it Worth It?

that's really up to you to decide if it's worth it

so here's what you should know regarding Impulse response length i.e ultra res vs standard

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Impulse_responses_(IR)#IR_length
Very interesting to re-read, I am going to redo comparative listening to headphones, the fact remains that the search for the holy grail in the modeling of loudspeakers is a very big and excellent job done by FAS, which is also why I use FAS material!
But I still think that to play in my ensemble of more than 10 musicians with brass, electric piano bass drums, my priority is to be heard with an acceptable quality, the place of the guitar in the audio spectrum is quite tight, the bottom of the spectrum is well occupied by the piano and the bass..... so I think that the quality of the amplification system and the placement of the instrument has more impact on the result than the length of the IRs.
On the other hand for a work of studio it is another debate.

As A headphone user, I always go Ultra. I'll rather save CPU dropping the Reverb quality than switching to Standard IR and I hate dropping the Reverb to Economy.

I've been putting together single presets with a bit of flexibility to cover gigs. These run up the processor, and I've been getting into the red, if not hitting overload. I have been using Ultra-res on Cab IRs, presuming it's worth it. Some people have been showcasing similar presets where they don't use Ultra-Res IRs.

The Ultra-res takes about 4% processor headroom per cabinet (so 8% with 2 cabs). It really limits the flexibility of a preset to include a Plex Delay, and I'm not getting into esoteric stuff like Pitch, Resonator or Multi/Ten-tap Delay.

Is the quality worth it?
The Impulse Response page in the Wiki is a good reference. There’s lots of information to consider.

Back
Top Bottom