buzzing noise/hum after update to FW 13

jiggajewjay

Inspired
i recently upgraded to FW 13 and now all of a sudden after 2 years of using the AXE i'm getting buzzing. i AM using single coil pups and there has always been a bit of hum however now its major interference. i also notice now that if my iphone gets anywhere near the Axe i get a lot of noise. NOTHING i repeat NOTHIng other than the firmware change has changed within my system. anything nin FW 13 that could have caused this? anyone? thanks!

J

I'm having similar issues with recording. I would roll back but I don't know where to find the files on Fractal's website.

Careful. There is another topic that says going back to 12.03 will remove all your presets.

Can someone jump in and confirm if this hum issue is true in FW13? Or explain what it is...
I am kind of afraid to update now reading all this.

i AM using single coil pups and there has always been a bit of hum however now its major interference. i also notice now that if my iphone gets anywhere near the Axe i get a lot of noise.
This is unusual and imho clear evidence that there's something wrong with your rig, not with your axe.

Have you checked the sound with headphones, a different guitar or different speakers?

If your iPhone has any effect on the sound, there's something wrong with the shielding of cables or electric parts.

I am having a similar issue. After upgrading to FW 13 and making no changes to any presets, I am experiencing a buzz in presets which were previously quiet. Thought it was my imagination but after reading this,im realizing it is in fact a clear humm. I use humbuckers for the most part (burstbuckers 2 &3 on the les pauls and /08 on the PRS's. nothing else in my rig or set up has changed. Going direct to FOH with Out 1 and to my stage monitor (QSC K12) via out 2. Ill double check however, the only thing that has changed is the firmware and the ultra res cabs.

ok, I am going to follow this topic and postpone my update since more people are experiencing this. Sounds like some bug or maybe it has something to do with the ultra res cabs. Can someone from FAS please tell us what this can be?

The iphone thing sure makes it sound like an EMI issue. You say that nothing else changed within your rig, but how about externally? Did you move the rig to a new location or power source? Is there a new computer, TV or other electronic gear in the vicinity? I don't see how a firmware upgrade can make your rig more sensitive to EMI.

Alternatively, perhaps Cliff sneaked in a new global parameter for "Venue Electricity" and yours is set to "Sucky". That guy will model anything.....

Have you started using any other new equipment lately?
It could be a ground loop if not everything in the chain is not plugged in the same wall socket.
If you have other devices plugged in different sockets in the same room as the axe, try to plug them in the same socket as the axe (if possible) to see if the buzz goes away.
If you can't do this, then maybe try to lift the ground from one of the plugged devices and see if that helps. Just make sure that your home's/studio's grounding is in good condition.

If you are on a Mac running OSX Mavericks you may be experiencing the Core Audio bug that I learned about. If so, the upcoming OSX 10.9.2 release *should* fix this. The beta that I'm running now seems to have taken care of it.

The Axe-Fx is incapable of increasing the EMI of your surroundings. The firmware update is just coincidence. You need to look at your wiring and grounding.

wow first time i created a post and Cliff chimed in!! i had a LA610 from Universal Audio rack mounted directly ABOVE the Axe. i just sold the LA610 so that double space is free in my rack now.....maybe the LA610 somehow shielded the Axe? only thing externally that changed at all....

1. swap guitars
2. swap guitar cable
3. make certain that Axe and speakers are plugged into truly grounded outlets. (an outlet tester is handy...I was surprised at how many outlets were incorrectly wired in my house...one kept tripping a GFI several rooms away)
4. turn off other electrical devices in the vicinity of the Axe/guitar one by one to see if something causes it to stop

That's a start, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom