Bug? Help debugging Blackglass b7k

I just noticed the same issue. I've had my FM3 now for a few weeks and was thinking of selling my Darkglass pedal after having set up a nice distorted bass preset with the modeled B7K, but unfortunately I can't get the same amount of distortion out of the model without severely boosting the signal beforehand.

Something seems off :confused:

Yes, noticed this too in the past. I always got problems dialling in the B7K model in the AxeFX. It never sounds quite right.
I always thought I missed some important parameters ....

The B7K is my typical OD with real amps and the AFX version seems not right to me.

But both IRL and the AFX, I find that the OCD gives a very similar sound, at least to how I use the B7K. So in the Fractal I just use the OCD.

I'm glad someone raised the question. I've never used the real pedal, but for as far I can remember trying to use the pedal in the drive block of the Axe-FX III, I've never gotten a good result out of it without a lot of work. Can the mods get an old school SansAmp drive while they're at it? I would really love to see that one over any DarkGlass.

I just tried the Axe Fx III model of the B7k and it sounds nearly the same as my Axe Fx II model. I dont know what might have happend the last 2 years :) The gain is `the same`as in Fw Ares ( the first one) with Gain. Eq sounds a bit better on the Axe Fx III model, but just a bit

The real B7k have more gain/drive then all the models

Last edited:
I just tried the Axe Fx III model of the B7k and it sounds nearly the same as my Axe Fx II model. I dont know what might have happend the last 2 years :) The gain is `the same`as in Fw Ares ( the first one) with Gain. Eq sounds a bit better on the Axe Fx III model, but just a bit

The real B7k have more gain/drive then all the models
That's interesting. So any discrepancy was introduced a very long time ago. Given the number of people in this thread echoing the sentiment of the real pedal sounding significantly different from the model, I'm more or less convinced this is either a bug or that there was an issue with the reference unit that was used to design the model on the axe fx

That's interesting. So any discrepancy was introduced a very long time ago. Given the number of people in this thread echoing the sentiment of the real pedal sounding significantly different from the model, I'm more or less convinced this is either a bug or that there was an issue with the reference unit that was used to design the model on the axe fx

Wonder what was used to make the model. I have some rather old B7K and B3K pedals (from before they moved to the SMD construction), and they do sound a bit different from each other and one is just plain broken.

The more recent production with the SMD stuff has been much more consistent IME.

Just tried out the Blackglass in Beta 12, and it seems the same as before: The bass control acts much like a 12db/octave roll off below around 200hz. Even when bass is set to +12db, it cuts so much below 100hz (especially below 50hz), I find it unusable for bass (At 0 or -12, it's even more.) I understand the principle of attenuating bass a little to not overdrive the pre, and making it up later, but this model cuts way too much, and can't not cut. No stones at all even mixed in at 50%. Better off mixing in a Big Muff for some distortion, or going with the FET with EQ adjustments for specific tonal focus or more drive (which works very well IME). I don't have the real pedal to compare, but if this is how it should be, I'm quite satisfied using the FET.

Last edited:
Just tried out the Darkglass in Beta 12, and it seems the same as before: The bass control acts much like a 12db/octave roll off below around 200hz. Even when bass is set to +12db, it cuts so much below 100hz (especially below 50hz), I find it unusable for bass (At 0 or -12, it's even more.) I understand the principle of attenuating bass a little to not overdrive the pre, and making it up later, but this model cuts way too much, and can't not cut. No stones at all even mixed in at 50%. Better off mixing in a Big Muff for some distortion, or going with the FET with EQ adjustments for specific tonal focus or more drive (which works very well IME). I don't have the real pedal to compare, but if this is how it should be, I'm quite satisfied using the FET.
If it's the same as before, it's not really the B7K at least as anyone would use it. There are some switches that cut heaps of low end (I can't remember what the switch is called), and perhaps it was modeled with the switch in the "thin" position, but I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to use it that way (which makes one wonder why the switch is even on the real pedal).

IRL, the OCD low peak sounds very similar to the B7K, to me at least. So in the Fractal I just use the OCD. I use the Big Muff as well, but that's for a different sound (more like Muse riffs; I use the OCD/B7K for more of a mild overdrive and grunt-type-thing rather than full blown distortion/fuzz).

I think there is something wrong with our B7K. It has very little gain and if you increase the gain past 3 o'clock it goes silent. So I'm going to order a new one and redo the model based on that.

That's why you can't use your own name if you order new stuff directly from the company. They're going to send you something broken so you stop getting all their business. One of these days you're going to open up an amp or pedal and there's gonna be a chocolate log in it! :D

No rush, after all, young Cygnus needs the attention, and I suspect much of what a BK7 does for the tone can be accomplished with judicious use of other FAS drives and EQ and mix adjustments. At least, I feel if there's a particular bass tone I want, I can figure out a way to get it with what FAS already has on offer.

That's why you can't use your own name if you order new stuff directly from the company. They're going to send you something broken so you stop getting all their business. One of these days you're going to open up an amp or pedal and there's gonna be a chocolate log in it! :D
Or maybe just a note that says "Not today, Cliff. Not today."

Back
Top Bottom