Bug? Help debugging Blackglass b7k

I think there is something wrong with our B7K. It has very little gain and if you increase the gain past 3 o'clock it goes silent. So I'm going to order a new one and redo the model based on that.
lmao nice. looking forward to it!
The Darkglass Alpha/Omega would be sweet to have. Make 3 mod`s Alpha - Half 50/50 - Omega
I was initially thinking a 1:1 replica would be better but I guess you could technically just have one model alpha, one model omega and manually blend two drive blocks

I think there is something wrong with our B7K. It has very little gain and if you increase the gain past 3 o'clock it goes silent. So I'm going to order a new one and redo the model based on that.
I've had a total of four B7Ks because they kept failing. I sold the fourth one new in box. Can't have a pedal that I can't trust.

Great news that Cliff is going to remodel the Dark Glass! But strange that the users only notice it after two years! 😀

I had the same feeling about the Mesa 200 bass amp model in the Axe fx. Never sounded like the original amp to me.

Last edited:
Not sure if I posted about it here, but I sure noticed, found it 1000% unusable. Didn't understand why anyone would play one, much less pay actual money for one.

Def curious to hear whatever comes of the rework.

Great news that Cliff going to remodel the Dark Glass! But strange that the users only notice it after two years! 😀
There's comparatively very few bass players who own modelers since the market is skewed in favor of guitarists. I've honestly heard complaints about the darkglass model on the axe fx since around 2019 but I didn't own a bass back then and my bassist friends who complained went on to buy the real pedal since much cheaper. I also think, and this is 100% personal bias, people who aren't familiar with the tech world don't understand making "tickets" for bugs and go "oh it's broken rip"

I hope this is an okay place to ask this question: I have a B3K and use the "grunt" and "attack" swtiches a lot. Are these options available on the modeled B7K?

Also, I guess Cliff will get a B7K v2. Anyone know the difference from the v1?

Awesome, for some reason I forgot to check that!

"According to Fractal Audio, the model was obtained with the Attack and Grunt switches in the middle position. The Grunt switch changes the low-cut frequency, so the Low Cut control in the model can be used to replicate this switch. The Attack switch controls a shelving filter on the input(use High Cut in the model).As the B7K model has been modeled with Grunt set to “Thin”, you may want to adjust the Low Cut parameter."

Never tried a sansamp before. It would be nice to see more bass stuff though for sure
Bass player here! Sansamp is fine but it's not the holy grail or anything. The cool thing about axe is that the majority of the guitar stuff works great on bass too. You don't need the bass version of the pedals or anything like a lot of manufacturers do (annoying when a lot of times a pedal could do both guitar and bass with a few extra caps and a switch.) That said, there are a few bass amps I'd like to see that have been mentioned plenty of times on this forum, but it's not like I can't find a passable substitute in the meantime. Bottom line is the axe is gonna sell more as a guitar tool than a bass tool, so that's where FAS is gonna spend their time. Bass isn't neglected but it's not like their top priority. For bass I only use the axe now. It's a lot easier to lug around than a 300w tube head.

Bottom line is the axe is gonna sell more as a guitar tool than a bass tool, so that's where FAS is gonna spend their time. Bass isn't neglected but it's not like their top priority. For bass I only use the axe now. It's a lot easier to lug around than a 300w tube head.

Not sure. It seems like some other modelers have more bass stuff compared to the Axe. I see more and more bass players using modelers these days. Maybe bass players would buy the Axe more if it had more specific and maybe better (?) bass stuff?

Also I think the Axe weights more and is bigger than some of the light weight and smalls bass amps that are being sold these days.

That being said I use the Axe a lot for bass recording but for live I still find it easier to get a good bass sound and adjust things from a real amp and a few pedals.

Last edited:
I tend to like having a lot of FX available when I'm playing bass, including high pass filters and dry blends etc. The AFX has replaced a lot of expensive pedals.

The bass amp modeling is acceptable. I do think an SVT or DB750 sounds "better," but the Fractal certainly is no worse than many of the small bass amps/preamps. It's more expensive, but the FXs easily make it worth it IMHO.

If the Fractal team was going to put more effort into bass players, rather than amps, I'd like some better synth/pitchshift tracking. That to me would be MUCH more useful.

word - the b7k is not close to accurate and IMO unusable as it just sounds really cardboard or honky and doesn't have the gain nor gain structure that the OG pedal has.. The mix knob has never worked well either and has a weird peak around 15%.

it also suffers greatly from not having the dedicated high and low mid knobs as that's where a lot of the magic happens in the b7k pedal - the mid and mid sweep are not enough nor useful.

word - the b7k is not close to accurate and IMO unusable as it just sounds really cardboard or honky and doesn't have the gain nor gain structure that the OG pedal has.. The mix knob has never worked well either and has a weird peak around 15%.

it also suffers greatly from not having the dedicated high and low mid knobs as that's where a lot of the magic happens in the b7k pedal - the mid and mid sweep are not enough nor useful.

Thats probablt why Cliff said hes going to replace his and try again.

apparently the reference unit that the fractal team has is faulty so we're probably going to get a working model soon enough

Code:
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ CLIFF TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

apparently escape sequences are not kosher

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom