Budget coaxial active cabs-new contestant

rednebb

Inspired
In my quest for budget light-weight coaxial active cabs/monitors for my Axe-Fx II I just found these; Alto Tourmax SXM112A: Alto Professional - TOURMAX Series > SXM112A
They seem to have everything I'm looking for: 12" coaxial speakers, enough power (800 W (really??)), weigh under 12 kg (!), relatively compact, fairly cheap (around £250 in uk), plus they also have pole mounts which can come in handy when I need a small PA system. Has anyone tried these, or have any experience with Alto in general? I don't know much about this brand. I have also been looking at LD systems MON121A which cost a little bit more, they seem very nice and got good recommendations from other forum members, but they are heavier (17kg) and they don't have pole mount. I'm also very intrigued by the new XiTone cabs, but with shipping and VAT and stuff these would cost me a lot more than the others, and I guess these also are bigger and heavier, and probably not that suitable for doubling as a small PA system. Any thoughts..?

Last edited:
I just picked up 2 of the ts112's for floor monitors. They sounded better than anything in there price range. Way better than the behringers and as good as a Jackie that was more expensive. Low end sounds good on them, better than mt atomic speakers. Mid range wasn't as punchy as my atomic reactor 50/50 w/ passives. Plenty loud. Build looks good. Solid feel, but light. Loud.

My are not coax but I was impressed by the quality for the low price.

I just picked up 2 of the ts112's for floor monitors. They sounded better than anything in there price range. Way better than the behringers and as good as a Jackie that was more expensive. Low end sounds good on them, better than mt atomic speakers. Mid range wasn't as punchy as my atomic reactor 50/50 w/ passives. Plenty loud. Build looks good. Solid feel, but light. Loud.

My are not coax but I was impressed by the quality for the low price.

Interesting. So are you using those for monitoring your Axe-Fx only, or for general stage monitoring of a band mix? And what type of Behringers and Mackies were you referring to (by the way, I guess you meant Mackie, not Jackie..? ;-)

Interesting. So are you using those for monitoring your Axe-Fx only, or for general stage monitoring of a band mix? And what type of Behringers and Mackies were you referring to (by the way, I guess you meant Mackie, not Jackie..? ;-)

Band mix. Our band is just starting and I am basically the financier so I keep thing on the budget side for now and slowly upgrade components that I did not already have along the way. So I was looking for some inexpensive active floor monitors.
I compared them with the Behringer eurolive b212d, 312d, and the mackie srm350.

Band mix. Our band is just starting and I am basically the financier so I keep thing on the budget side for now and slowly upgrade components that I did not already have along the way. So I was looking for some inexpensive active floor monitors.
I compared them with the Behringer eurolive b212d, 312d, and the mackie srm350.

Ok, thanks. Is the Axe-Fx also included in the band mix in the Alto's then, or do you have a separate solution for that (in which case what)? And have you tried playing the Axe-Fx through the Alto's directly?

Not for me, but for the other members. I am using the atomic reactor 50/50 w/ passive cabs. Yes I tried the Altos directly. While the Alto's bottom end sounded better and was less sensitive to flubbiness, the mid range was a bit more defined with the atomics.

Wow, I owe you guys for this one. I've really been wanting a decent wedge for when I want to carry my Axe somewhere that I can't or don't want to solely run direct at. I carry a Vox amp now when those situations arise, but the Axe-FX is just better for some of those gigs. This is something decent I can afford to pick up...

D

Not for me, but for the other members. I am using the atomic reactor 50/50 w/ passive cabs. Yes I tried the Altos directly. While the Alto's bottom end sounded better and was less sensitive to flubbiness, the mid range was a bit more defined with the atomics.

Ok, thanks!

Interesting Cab, thinking of picking up 2 maybe run a stereo rig :) They seem to stock them at Hard to find Records which isn't too far from me, I might see what their returns policy is. If anyone picks one up before I can get down their then let me know :)

Spence

Yeah, I am interested in how the coax's sound as well. The guitar center where I got mine didn't have the coax. I didn't ven know they made one.

Interesting Cab, thinking of picking up 2 maybe run a stereo rig :) They seem to stock them at Hard to find Records which isn't too far from me, I might see what their returns policy is. If anyone picks one up before I can get down their then let me know :)

Spence

Yeah. please let us know if you get to actually try them out, I have limited means at the moment so I have to wait a little while anyway..

Just went and picked up the Alto's. Only spent about an hour playing through them at pretty loud bedroom levels but so far I'm impressed. They have a really small footprint and sound really good. They have a decent low-end not quite as punchy and in your face as a bigger cab but certainly very similar to my current speaker (LD Systems 12" STINGER) Mids and top-end seem very natural and it sounds full and even to me. I plugged the second one in and the low-end was immediately beefed up but without being over powering, I rocked out for a bit testing a few different amp models from the AC30, Plexi, 800, Das Metal, Recto Orange New, all of them sounded great.

I'll reserve final judgement until I've had chance to use them in band situation but my initial impressions are that for the price and footprint, these speakers are bloody great!

Here is a quick cameraphone shot of the two next to my MFC-101, this should give you an idea of the size :)

alto.jpg

Spence

Back
Top Bottom