Bought the Eastman Goldburst T484 today!

Probably because advertising a different spec than the manufacturer will lead to an uptick in calls and emails - my 0% knowledge based guess
Yes, I think that's a path SW doesn't want to go down. They probably have a policy of reporting the Manufacturer's specifications. If they started correcting the manufacturers, then it could get really messy.

As for any response from Eastman, Asian companies (in general) are very good at listening to a complaint and then doing nothing about it. I've lived in that part of the world for several years and it's really a cultural, interpersonal thing which then is manifested in the corporate culture. It has to do with maintaining a polite and comfortable atmosphere and not "rocking the boat". That's not specific to the Chinese.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I'm not one of those with sensitivity to scale length, neck thickness, materials, etc. As long as I have roughly 10-46 gauge strings (modified depending on tuning and scale lengths.) I can get by. I think that's likely due to being talent limited hehe.

I'm so glad I'm not one of those with sensitivity to scale length, neck thickness, materials, etc. As long as I have roughly 10-46 gauge strings (modified depending on tuning and scale lengths.) I can get by. I think that's likely due to being talent limited hehe.
I wish I were that way. In your case I am sure it's not limited talent, but in MY case, I have always played strats and teles. 25.5", so I was HOPING for a different feel, whatever.

Eastman did reply today.
Here it is:
Hello Frank
Thank you for reaching out to EASTMAN! We apologize for the delayed response as we are looking into the issue with our workshop. As soon as we have an accurate update will let you know and correct the spec on the Eastman website if need be. We appreciate you reaching out to make us aware of the issue/discrepancy and are working to remedy it.
All the best,

SO, they do not KNOW what the scale length is SUPPOSE TO BE? Sorry I am not trying to trash either company but it is what it is........
How do they NOT KNOW?
Not really asking for an answer. Just weird and not cool imho. Either it's 25" or not/ or are they all different and they just guessed at 24.75".
Like I said: nut front to 12th fret is EXACTLY, I mean EXACTLY 12.5"=25" scale . what the hell is the mystery?

Please remember, imho, the quality of the build of the guitar is GREAT! so there's that.

Last edited:
Sweetwater has plenty of Eastman electric guitars, most all models. They said we haven't changed the website because e are checking with Eastman??? They , supposedly measured some they had in stock and NONE were 24.75-of the Goldburst anyway. So why do you need to contact Eastman before fixing your website? You are selling a guitar with false advertising? Unreal!

Probably because advertising a different spec than the manufacturer will lead to an uptick in calls and emails - my 0% knowledge based guess

Another possibility is that they may be contractually required to use the specification data provided by Eastman.

Big businesses do a lot of strange and marginally unethical things....

Eastman did reply today.
Here it is:
Hello Frank
Thank you for reaching out to EASTMAN! We apologize for the delayed response as we are looking into the issue with our workshop. As soon as we have an accurate update will let you know and correct the spec on the Eastman website if need be. We appreciate you reaching out to make us aware of the issue/discrepancy and are working to remedy it.
All the best,

SO, they do not KNOW what the scale length is SUPPOSE TO BE? Sorry I am not trying to trash either company but it is what it is........
How do they NOT KNOW?
Not really asking for an answer. Just weird and not cool imho. Either it's 25" or not/ or are they all different and they just guessed at 24.75".
Like I said: nut front to 12th fret is EXACTLY, I mean EXACTLY 12.5"=25" scale . what the hell is the mystery?

Please remember, imho, the quality of the build of the guitar is GREAT! so there's that.

Many PRS Guitars are 25". Maybe the factory is using tooling from some PRS knock-off they might be building for someone, and calling it "close enough". I have heard it is possible to get very high quality stuff built there, if you specify all of its properties adequately....

Another possibility is that they may be contractually required to use the specification data provided by Eastman.

Big businesses do a lot of strange and marginally unethical things....
Bfstplk, post: 2561794, member: 63107"]
Many PRS Guitars are 25". Maybe the factory is using tooling from some PRS knock-off they might be building for someone, and calling it "close enough". I have heard it is possible to get very high quality stuff built there, if you specify all of its properties adequately....
[/QUOTE][QUOTE="Joe

Pretty sure my Sweetwater mentioned that which Joe B said above. .BUT Sweetwater you would think would want to give their customers the CORRECT info

@Joe Bfstplk is probably correct that there are contractual requirements for authorized dealers governing what SW can publicize regarding specs.
OK. That makes sense. So both companies are too arrogant or whatever to provide their customers with the correct info.
we
ALL know that if you asked an experienced guitar players what they thought the two most common scale lengths were their answers would be 24.75 (Gibsons) and 25.5" (Fenders)
So I do NOT think it's as TRIVIAL as Sweetwater and Eastman are making it out to be. IOW, guitar payers KNOW scale length and what it means.

I appreciate all the input from you folks-Always!

OK. That makes sense. So both companies are too arrogant or whatever to provide their customers with the correct info.
we
ALL know that if you asked an experienced guitar players what they thought the two most common scale lengths were their answers would be 24.75 (Gibsons) and 25.5" (Fenders)
So I do NOT think it's as TRIVIAL as Sweetwater and Eastman are making it out to be. IOW, guitar payers KNOW scale length and what it means.

In my experience way too many people think everyone else's problems are trivial. It would take several seconds away from thinking about themselves, which is too much of a sacrifice. It's only exascerbated when narcissism is becoming the world wide pastime of the modern age.

we

I don’t think what Sweetwater is doing in all that unreasonable. Put yourself in their shoes. Let’s say you’re selling something on Sweetwater, and customers report a discrepancy in your product. Wouldn’t you want them to hear what you have to say before going public with it?

I get why you’re upset, though.

I don’t think what Sweetwater is doing in all that unreasonable. Put yourself in their shoes. Let’s say you’re selling something on Sweetwater, and customers report a discrepancy in your product. Wouldn’t you want them to hear what you have to say before going public with it?

I get why you’re upset, though.
OK. But since Sweetwater also measured others they have wouldn't you do something? Take the scale length ERROR down at least. why sell more of them.
Rex, I have only posted HERE, on this forum about this, no where else. I am not out trashing either company all over the place and I don't intend to.
I really didn't get that upset until they both (Eastman and Sweetwater did NOTHING but make excuses and NEVER admitted they made a mistake or that the guitar was actually a 25" scale length..
Still, crickets from both.
Also, remember I said the guitar was fine, built extremely well, just NOT what I wanted.
If I hadn't started the other thread about asking what forum members here thought about the Gibson es-339 and alternatives and then talked about the Eastman T484 I never would have posted any of this other crap.
Thanks for the input- When I get my refund (well credit back to the Sweetwater card) I will feel a little better. :)
Will I ever deal with Sweetwater again? Not sure- I don't need them.

OK. But since Sweetwater also measured others they have wouldn't you do something? Take the scale length ERROR down at least. why sell more of them.
Rex, I have only posted HERE, on this forum about this, no where else. I am not out trashing either company all over the place and I don't intend to.
I really didn't get that upset until they both (Eastman and Sweetwater did NOTHING but make excuses and NEVER admitted they made a mistake or that the guitar was actually a 25" scale length..
Still, crickets from both.
Also, remember I said the guitar was fine, built extremely well, just NOT what I wanted.
If I hadn't started the other thread about asking what forum members here thought about the Gibson es-339 and alternatives and then talked about the Eastman T484 I never would have posted any of this other crap.
Thanks for the input- When I get my refund (well credit back to the Sweetwater card) I will feel a little better. :)
Will I ever deal with Sweetwater again? Not sure- I don't need them.
No worries. I know you're not trashing anybody. My understanding from what I thought I read was that they were holding you off until they talked to Eastman. Maybe I should read more closely. :)

No worries. I know you're not trashing anybody. My understanding from what I thought I read was that they were holding you off until they talked to Eastman. Maybe I should read more closely. :)
No, I think your pretty much right about that from Sweetwater's end of it. Eastman not so much. I really explained in detail (thru emails of course) to Eastman how long I have been playing, etc, etc, etc.
Thanks
I will keep looking for a another guitar like what I wanted-but I really want to be able to hold it before I buy it. Not that many options in Florida near me- But I am looking!

Final NOTE: AS of TODAY 05/23/2024 Sweetwater has been great, $$$ refunded to my account already.
I am SORRY to say EASTMAN DOES NOT CARE and will not even acknowledge or comment except to say we will check product and update site accordingly. No sorry for misinformation, no apology, no NOTHING!

WORSE YET: Neither Sweetwater nor EASTMAN have changed the specs on thee websites. I understand Sweetwater can't without word from EASTMAN. But couldn't they just remove the reference to the scale length for now. They measured some other Eastmans and according to Sweetwater rep-NOT consistent at all and NOT 24.75" either. The guitar scale length wasn't off by a little or whatever. Front of nut to 12th fret was EXACTLY12.5". I used 3 different measuring devices. Total BS imho
So they both (but like said, Sweetwater has no choice?) will continue to sell these guitars with FALSE advertisement. How is that legal?

So, to EASTMAN, MY NEW SE McCarty 594 is out for delivery today!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom