Bought the Eastman Goldburst T484 today!

Measure from the nut to the 12th fret. Multiply by two. That’s the guitar’s scale length.
Yes did that too! I started another thread about the tension-Didn't think many would see it here-Thanks-Appreciate the tip. 12.5" so 25" scale.

Yes did that too! I started another thread about the tension-Didn't think many would see it here-Thanks-Appreciate the tip. 12.5" so 25" scale.

So that makes it like a PRS in that regard. I think that's not a bad place to be tonally, but I understand the inconsistency in advertising sucks. The cool thing is, you're using D'addario, which is one of the few brands that publishes their string tension for a given scale. Unfortunately they have removed they're string tension calculator from their site, but the formula is out there, so it is possible to extrapolate the unit tension of the NYXLs to different gauges and scale lengths to figure out what would be ideal for this scale length. Good luck no matter how you move forward.

So that makes it like a PRS in that regard. I think that's not a bad place to be tonally, but I understand the inconsistency in advertising sucks. The cool thing is, you're using D'addario, which is one of the few brands that publishes their string tension for a given scale. Unfortunately they have removed they're string tension calculator from their site, but the formula is out there, so it is possible to extrapolate the unit tension of the NYXLs to different gauges and scale lengths to figure out what would be ideal for this scale length. Good luck no matter how you move forward.
Thanks-Hard for others to understand I think. I have waited over 4 decades to get a semi-Hollow body 24.74" guitar. All mine are 25.5"
I am the type of person when I want something I would like to get what I wanted. It's NOT the 1/4". it's just NOT what I wanted.
Since I want the smaller ES body like the es-339 it is a challenge. well to get quality without mortgaging your house.
Been searching and hard to find-

So Sweetwater is asking me if I have picts of the measuring?????????????????????????????That really sucks. Been dealing with them since 98 I believe with the Plat card.
Maybe I'll make a movie about this 1 minute nut to 12th fret master endeavor...........

Had the PRS 594, couldn't bond with t at all-Sold it 2 weeks later. Mainly the neck actually. Beautiful guitar.
I did the tensin math and acording to what I found
On 24.75" scale the high E (E4) is around 12.xx lbs of tension and the B3 is 10.xx. I though that was weird but calculated using online tension calcs and freq charts etc.

Just keep in mind the NYXL have a different unit tension than the XLs. The calculator they used to have had the ability to choose your string model (XL, NYXL, Pure Nickel, etc), scale length, and gauge. And the one unit tension pdf they still have up is old and doesn't include three NYXLs. But you can use the formula, create a spreadsheet, and approximate the unit tension from that to extrapolate for your set. If I remember correctly, I think NYXL might have a bit higher tension.

But yeah, ¼" is a huge deal for tone and feel. I mean, you turn the screw on a pickup just a little and you've now got a totally different tone, so you go a ¼" out on your scale length, and it's not going to sound or feel the same.

And with Sweetwater's customer service, I love that they're getting you to do the legwork on this. They have god knows how many of this model in stock, but they've got to get a photo from you. Really classy. I stopped dealing with them years ago because my sales rep would just call me to ask if I needed anything. It was obnoxious. And I've read so many accounts of their "55 point inspections," to me they're just the online equivalent of Guitar Center. And I don't know what the hell is up with the reviews on their site; most of those reviews include a review of the sales manager, like that has anything to do with the guitar. It's like some weird cult. It just sits with me wrong. Anyway, I hope they treat you right.

Just keep in mind the NYXL have a different unit tension than the XLs. The calculator they used to have had the ability to choose your string model (XL, NYXL, Pure Nickel, etc), scale length, and gauge. And the one unit tension pdf they still have up is old and doesn't include three NYXLs. But you can use the formula, create a spreadsheet, and approximate the unit tension from that to extrapolate for your set. If I remember correctly, I think NYXL might have a bit higher tension.

But yeah, ¼" is a huge deal for tone and feel. I mean, you turn the screw on a pickup just a little and you've now got a totally different tone, so you go a ¼" out on your scale length, and it's not going to sound or feel the same.

And with Sweetwater's customer service, I love that they're getting you to do the legwork on this. They have god knows how many of this model in stock, but they've got to get a photo from you. Really classy. I stopped dealing with them years ago because my sales rep would just call me to ask if I needed anything. It was obnoxious. And I've read so many accounts of their "55 point inspections," to me they're just the online equivalent of Guitar Center. And I don't know what the hell is up with the reviews on their site; most of those reviews include a review of the sales manager, like that has anything to do with the guitar. It's like some weird cult. It just sits with me wrong. Anyway, I hope they treat you right.

Thanks and I agree that even 1/4" makes a difference. Especially to someone who has played 25.5" guitars (American Fender Strats and Teles) for 40+ years. Even my Martin OM-28e is 25.4" .
Sweetwater rep said they measured the ones they have like mine and most were 25", but did vary slightly? I have 28 days to decide what to do.

Thanks-Hard for others to understand I think. I have waited over 4 decades to get a semi-Hollow body 24.74" guitar. All mine are 25.5"
I am the type of person when I want something I would like to get what I wanted. It's NOT the 1/4". it's just NOT what I wanted.
Since I want the smaller ES body like the es-339 it is a challenge. well to get quality without mortgaging your house.
Been searching and hard to find-

25” is a nice scale. Bends a little easier and lower tension than a Strat, little tighter between frets. I put 9’s on my 25” guitars.

Chart of string tensions on T484 with the set I have on their. The tension on the E4 when I change the scale in the calculator to my Strats 25.5" is only 13.16. Guess I expected the tension to be significantly less, but then again I expected 24.75" , NOT 25" scale. -
Still have NOT decided. Sweetwater told me to take my time?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-13 214536.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-13 214536.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Congrats! Hope you enjoy the guitar. Eastman is probably the only Chinese-made guitar I'd consider. They have an excellent reputation.

BTW, I saw they now have a model that is US-made, the D'Ambrosio.

Congrats! Hope you enjoy the guitar. Eastman is probably the only Chinese-made guitar I'd consider. They have an excellent reputation.

BTW, I saw they now have a model that is US-made, the D'Ambrosio.
Yes, I looked at those also. real nice looking! The Eastman factory in Beijing is NOT where the zillions of Chinese made guitars are made-but you probably knew that!~
ALSO-On the Eastman site it states the D'Ambrosio's are 24.75" scale length. I wouldn't believe it until I saw it for myself. I have experience with that :-(

So, I have decided to RETURN the guitar. Lets see how Sweetwater deals with it. The pickguard had NO FILM so there are pick marks on the pickguard.
BTW, many of you folks I know are computer people. Sweetwater and Eastman ,. after calls from me have still NOT changed the misinformation on their websites? We know how simple a task that is these days. I am sure they both have hired companies to do this but I guess it's not important enough for them.
My rep at Sweetwater is a good, honest guy, it's certainly NOT his fault at all.

Last edited:
Hopefully, the return process goes smoothly. I can't say I blame you for returning it. It sounds like it was a nice guitar, but wasn't what you were expecting or wanting. If it was me, I don't think I could have gotten over that, either. I've been fortunate enough to finally get a few of my dream guitars, and if something wasn't exactly right, well, I think life is too short to settle for a compromise (I did enough of that when I was younger). Best of luck with the return and with what I'm guessing will be a continuing search.

I started a thread about string tension. Anyway, since I raved about this guitar I felt I should at the very least post this "issue" here:

OK-the issue seems to be, for me anyway, the scale is NOT 24.75 as ADVERTISED. It's closer to 25.5"????????????????????????
on my NEW Eastman T484. Actually from the front of the nut to the front of the Gotoh bridge is 25". So that's the scale but the saddle positions, of course make it more like 25.25".
Sweetwater and Eastman say 24.75. But then I found articles that say 25"..??????? I know, may sound trivial to you folks, but this is NOT what I asked for.
Not trivial - I have varying scale length guitars, and even for a hacker like me, I feel the differences - I wouldn't feel bad about returning it.

I think incorrect scale is valid. Makes me wonder if other models have the same thing.
Sweetwater has plenty of Eastman electric guitars, most all models. They said we haven't changed the website because e are checking with Eastman??? They , supposedly measured some they had in stock and NONE were 24.75-of the Goldburst anyway. So why do you need to contact Eastman before fixing your website? You are selling a guitar with false advertising? Unreal!

Sweetwater has plenty of Eastman electric guitars, most all models. They said we haven't changed the website because e are checking with Eastman??? They , supposedly measured some they had in stock and NONE were 24.75-of the Goldburst anyway. So why do you need to contact Eastman before fixing your website? You are selling a guitar with false advertising? Unreal!
Probably because advertising a different spec than the manufacturer will lead to an uptick in calls and emails - my 0% knowledge based guess

Back
Top Bottom