Boston's Foreplay/Longtime Quantum 1.02 Tone Test

Hey Moke, how about Whitesnake "Still of the Night" - one of the "hugest" tones ever, or "Welcome to the Jungle" - one of Slash's best off AFD. Two iconic tones to me.
I need to find the isolated multi-tracks for those...

You can definitely hear the guitars better in that video. Like most classic guitar tracks they don't sound so 'epic' in isolation, but the performances still show through. Unfortunately the guitar parts aren't isolated enough for tone matching IMHO.

The guitars are panned right and left respectively, thus I would try and model each individually. Start with the left, then the right. I agree though, they do the job but there's nothing particularly special about them.

The guitars are panned right and left respectively, thus I would try and model each individually. Start with the left, then the right. I agree though, they do the job but there's nothing particularly special about them.
The bass guitar is panned center, so it is in both sides? Making tone matching the left or right not really possible, unless you use some sort of 'center canceling' program which usually adds artifacts making tone matching inaccurate.

The bass guitar is panned center, so it is in both sides? Making tone matching the left or right not really possible, unless you use some sort of 'center canceling' program which usually adds artifacts making tone matching inaccurate.

In my experience with EQ modeling, the best results are obtained when guitars are completely isolated in a mix, however in a case such as this it's still possible to achieve acceptable results by simply rolling off the low end to taste. Most of the low end has been rolled off the guitar tracks in the mix to accommodate the bass anyway. Granted, you'll still hear some residual bass in the background, but you should find the match is still quite acceptable. While I haven't tone matched it, I did try dialing back the low end using Waves H-EQ earlier and found the guitar tone was fairly isolated afterward. It's worth a shot anyway.

Tone test of Boston's Foreplay/Longtime. All guitars were recorded with the Fractal Audio Axe FX ll running Firmware Q-1.02. All guitar tracks were performed with my 2003 Ernie Ball Music Man 'Axis'.

Edit......Preset posted here..
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mokes-foreplay-longtime-preset-q1-03.107054/

Ok, I added an A/B tone test clip alternating between the original guitar track and my Axe-Fx 'Tone Match' preset. I switch back an forth several times at each new phrase. Which one is which?

Outstanding Moke! Your presets are just excellent. I used your Eruption patch over New Years during a gig and the guitarists in the audience went nuts over the tone, despite my clams! Unfortunate you're not giggin' for awhile, but very fortunate for us who admire your mad preset skills.

Outstanding Moke! Your presets are just excellent. I used your Eruption patch over New Years during a gig and the guitarists in the audience went nuts over the tone, despite my clams! Unfortunate you're not giggin' for awhile, but very fortunate for us who admire your mad preset skills.
Thanks for the kind words 'ILM4Axe'. Now that the Holidays are over.........;)

Last edited:
Hey Moke, how about Whitesnake "Still of the Night" - one of the "hugest" tones ever, or "Welcome to the Jungle" - one of Slash's best off AFD. Two iconic tones to me.
OK, The "Still of the Night" preset is almost done. I'll start a new thread (with a clip of coarse) when it's ready. The clean scene was toughest so far. Trying to get my humbuckers to sound like single-coils was a bit tricky

The solo scene is next. Then I need to learn that solo for the clip..........What the heck?:eek:

Hi Moke, :)

always use the same guitar ?
2003 Ernie Ball Music Man 'Axis :rolleyes:
You can to split the "pickup" humbucker ?

But if thou hast a Stratocaster, one day try to do a piece of Gilmour, simulation "Lead tone" Big Muff Ram's Head or Big Muff Sovteck.
And one of my obsession, I love the tone of Gilmour :rolleyes:

Thank you ;)

Hi Moke, :)

always use the same guitar ?
2003 Ernie Ball Music Man 'Axis :rolleyes:
You can to split the "pickup" humbucker ?

But if thou hast a Stratocaster, one day try to do a piece of Gilmour, simulation "Lead tone" Big Muff Ram's Head or Big Muff Sovteck.
And one of my obsession, I love the tone of Gilmour :rolleyes:

Thank you ;)
Yes, the same one.......I bought a used Axis (standard) around 2001, then won an Axis (sport) in 2003 in the regional finals of Guitar Center's 'Guitarmageddon' contest. Lost to Andy Wood in the finals.....:eek:

The 'Sport' can split the coils, but the 'Standard' does not. So I try very hard to not rely on the single-coil mode, so that all my presets will work with both of my guitars. Also, since I intend to share this preset, It will hopefully work for other typical humbucker equipped guitars.

I would love to own a Strat.......:mad:. And also love Gilmour's tone and playing.

OK, The "Still of the Night" preset is almost done. I'll start a new thread (with a clip of coarse) when it's ready. The clean scene was toughest so far. Trying to get my humbuckers to sound like single-coils was a bit tricky

The solo scene is next. Then I need to learn that solo for the clip..........What the heck?:eek:

That sounds great Moke, I can't wait to hear it. +1 on the Eruption preset by the way. That preset translated very well to my gear (Peavey Wolfgang archtop with Frankie in bridge and fat brass block). I've tweaked it slightly for my particular setup and am loving jamming on VH1 tracks with it. Thanks again for your help on these epic tones!

OK.....The 'Still of the Night' clip is up in a new thread!

If I hadn't known, I'm pretty sure I would have thought I was listening to the original. Even with the knowledge, it's really hard to tell the difference. This is what the AxeFx was made to do. Thank you so much for your efforts and especially for sharing. Very generous.

+1000..... what a lovely fantastic sound....

Back
Top Bottom