Boston's Foreplay/Longtime Quantum 1.02 Tone Test

great job Moke!

one of my favorite albums of all time
how many guitar tracks did you record to get this?
just curious

Jeff
Thanks Jeff,
I used two rhythm guitar tracks for the dirty and acoustic-ish simulated guitars panned 100% left and right, and a lead guitar track panned center. After I refine this preset a bit more, I'm going to re-record it with a single track to see how it will stand up for live use.

Tone test of Boston's Foreplay/Longtime. All guitars were recorded with the Fractal Audio Axe FX ll running Firmware Q-1.02. All guitar tracks were performed with my 2003 Ernie Ball Music Man 'Axis'.

Tasty playing and awesome tone there!

Where did backing tracks come from?
*edit* Never mind. sounds like you sucked the guitars out. These kind of demos are tough because it's hard to tell if all the studio guitars are gone, and how much the remaining ones are influencing what you're doing.

What are you using to pull the guitars out?

Very nice!!!!
Thanks Mark,
Over the years I have played this tune in a couple of versions of my band. First using a Digitech GSP 2101, Then a Line6 axsys 212, then a Vetta HD. This is by far the closest I have been able to get. I probably spent 1-1/2 hours on this preset so far and I'm sure that I will make some tweaks for a little while.

Last edited:
Where did backing tracks come from?
*edit* Never mind. sounds like you sucked the guitars out. These kind of demos are tough because it's hard to tell if all the studio guitars are gone, and how much the remaining ones are influencing what you're doing.

What are you using to pull the guitars out?
I Found the multi-track mogg files online. the clip has no original guitars in it! (exept those sliding/echoing parts during the quiet part, those were in the keyboard track) I played along in that part using scene #5.

As with all mogg files from video games there are some condensing of tracks. Later in this song during the 3rd solo the rhythm guitar parts show up in the keyboard track. That is why I chose not to include that portion of the song. I wanted an accurate test.

Last edited:
Unreal.... I just came to the forum to look for "boston" tone tips..... Nice Job man, Dang!

Last edited:
This inspired me to create a Boston patch. Try it out. Might work in a mix but sound good in front of me

Attachments

• Boston Tom Scholz.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Mark,
Over the years I have played this tune in a couple of versions of my band. First using a Digitech GSP 2101.....
You know, I still have my original DigiTech 2112 (with the 2120 upgrade chip) in my rack (along with many other 80's and 90's gear). I just can't part with 'em. Good memories.

Back
Top Bottom