BigBox librarys OUT NOW!

I upgraded to Platinum yesterday.

WELL worth it. I've bought so many IRs that it can be a real slog to go through them all and I tend to get bored and (ear) fatigued quite quickly.

These are the best IRs around, IMO. They really bring the amp models to life, and I finally appreciate what Cliff has always said about the IR being the most crucial aspect of the tone. Although it may seem like quite a financial outlay at first, I actually think they're amazing value. Once the X-change gets going, it will be even better.

Cheers Andy!

Hey everyone..quick question. I have a preset that uses a DC-30. I noticed the preset pack has a greenback mix with a Plexi. Can I just use the same speaker tab settings from the Plexi and place it on the DC-30 so that the DC-30 will be setup properly for the greenback mix? Or..can amps not share the same speaker page settings even though they're using the same speaker IR?

Hey everyone..quick question. I have a preset that uses a DC-30. I noticed the preset pack has a greenback mix with a Plexi. Can I just use the same speaker tab settings from the Plexi and place it on the DC-30 so that the DC-30 will be setup properly for the greenback mix? Or..can amps not share the same speaker page settings even though they're using the same speaker IR?

You'd need to save the IR from the preset in the pack to an IR slot and the copy the CAB block settings in to your DC-30 patch. Though, as far as I can tell, the presets are all using default CAB block settings -- they differ in the IR only. Andy can correct me if I'm mistaken, of course...

You'd need to save the IR from the preset in the pack to an IR slot and the copy the CAB block settings in to your DC-30 patch. Though, as far as I can tell, the presets are all using default CAB block settings -- they differ in the IR only. Andy can correct me if I'm mistaken, of course...

I know how to save the IR for other presets...I just more or less wanted to know if I needed to copy the speaker page settings from the amp in Andy's preset..to the new preset. Another words..if I'm using a Greenback for 3 'different amps'..should those 3 different amps have the same speaker settings on the speaker page since they're all 3 using the same greenback IR?

I'm pretty sure Andy adjusted the speaker page from the stock settings to match the IR's..but I could be wrong.

I know how to save the IR for other presets...I just more or less wanted to know if I needed to copy the speaker page settings from the amp in Andy's preset..to the new preset. Another words..if I'm using a Greenback for 3 'different amps'..should those 3 different amps have the same speaker settings on the speaker page since they're all 3 using the same greenback IR?

Should is pretty subjective. The answer here, as always, is, "follow your ears". I don't play with advanced CAB block parameters all that often myself, but some do and they like it.

I'm pretty sure Andy adjusted the speaker page from the stock settings to match the IR's..but I could be wrong.

<waits for Andy to wake up...>

I think you might have to change especially the Frequences in the amps speaker page, but as Andy once said somewhere here, is "yes and no" so it doesn't work always and you still have to use your ears...

Last edited:
<wakes up>

Each Preset is tuned the speaker, so that's the Amp Paired/Married to that speaker choice. - the "Speaker" tab is edited to reflect this, and this sets the variables of the amp to match that speaker. (this is with EVERY Preset) - The CAB block was not changed much.. all I did on here is roll off some top end to better simulate a cab sound...

For example, If you like a preset, but want to change Amp.. its not quite as easy as copy the speaker tab settings onto another amp, as the Hi/Mid will be different, but.. what you can try.. is load the PDF "SpeakerList" and scroll down to the speaker you like.. look at the settings of that speaker. - now, put this info in your new amp speaker page, then the one you really want to adjust by ear will be the Hi Range, and its Q settings/gain etc. the aim is to search for its "hi points" versus the Speakers "Hi Points" and avoid crossover so its not harsh/shrill sounding. - I used Sci-Fi tools to do this easy and quick, but your ears are also good : )

However....The above can also be totally irrelevant. - load the amp you want.. load the cab you like. play.. does it sound good.. if Yes.. save.. if No see above : )

No rules.. Just smiles!

A

Andy, I could not get past the point in the checkout screen that asked me for information to create an account on cabfactory. Also, I was just curious if you might be extending a summer discount to your cabfactory bundles as ampfactory , and hopefully, that's not an insulting question. I was unable to get past the create an account and checkout screen at any rate. I am using Windows 8 and Google Chrome if that is any help.

EDIT: Never mind about the checkout problems, Andy. Turned out that I was already on your mailing list, so I apparently already had a login ID. I just purchased and downloaded the Big Box Bronze Bundle and look forward to checking out all these cool presets. Then hopefully I will upgrade to the Platinum bundle in about a month.

Last edited:
Your chart includes the recommended resonance frequencies, correct?

Yup. - Lets say, you like a Preset that has Blues in it.. but you wanted a more "Sparkly Sound", so you can then mix your own Sparkly sound using the Blue IR's that are provided (Plat), then you can use the same info as per the chart for a more or less complete experience. - its gets more complicated when switch speakers completely. - but, at the same time its not a disaster either.. : )

Dear Platinum/Gold Users

Next week I'll be capturing some goodies for you, that will be on the TAF-Xchange

-4x12 Marshall Basketweave 1965 (Alinco G25's)
-4x10 Jenson Powerd Fender Cab (196o's)
-2x12 JBL Loaded Twin Cab (70's)
-2x12 TwoRock (unsure of Speakers yet) (2 weeks old lol)

For Everyone Else.

Bass Speakers + Presets

-4x10 MarkBass Cab
-2x15 Ampeg Classic
-6x10 Unbranded cab.. (No idea sorry, from the 70's is all I know)
-4x12? Trace Elliot something....

Erm, As you can tell, im a little hazzy on my bass speaker/gear. I know it by look, but no idea on specs!.. as recording bass is mostly DI'd through my gear (specifically my Culture Vulture) and rarely need a bass amp.

Anyway... I'll post pics when it all arrives!..

Its all Cool, All Free.. Presets/Speakers/IR's blah blah, you know the drill by now!

peace
A

Oh As always ,I'll be face-booking things, so head over there and take a peak! : )
search "theampfactory" on facebook

hey andy, could u make some presets for 1959 Slp (treble)...actually for the speaker page settings, would it matter if its the treble, normal or jumpered amp model?

Hmm well it would change, because the input is different. so there will be changes to the hi-range especially. but yeah sure, why not I can do a preset of that amp, when I get the chance too! : ), I'll include it with the other goodies when the plat upgrade pack is done!.

That would be amazing!!!

Don't forget us classical guitarists...

Seriously though Andy, this would be a unique market idea.

It would be amazing to be able to record my classical guitar direct, using IRs from real acoustic guitars.

hmm.. I'll get back to you on that.. as Im actually doing this soon for a guy coming here to the studio. Im sorting out his entire sound for an upcoming world tour. and wants to use all digital, and this was a topic of conversation. regarding his acoustics via a modeler.. so we will see how that works out, that is new to me. - so not sure exactly how it will work/be useful etc. : )

hmm.. I'll get back to you on that.. as Im actually doing this soon for a guy coming here to the studio. Im sorting out his entire sound for an upcoming world tour. and wants to use all digital, and this was a topic of conversation. regarding his acoustics via a modeler.. so we will see how that works out, that is new to me. - so not sure exactly how it will work/be useful etc. : )

I've had pretty good luck doing a live tone match in the Fractal.

Reference = mic -> preamp
Local = under saddle piezo pickup

(Verify the reference source is connected mono to avoid comb filtering during tone match. Not so much a worry using a live tone match but needs some thought if tone matching a pre-recorded track.)

I believe it possible to use an X/Y microphone array and live tone match each mic separately. Then convert each to an IR and use a stereo Cab block. I haven't gotten around to this but I do love SDC X/Y on acoustic guitars.

These articles might be interesting....some of it goes as deep as the AXE itself! Cheers, Oscar

Mixing Acoustic Guitars Live

SOFTWARE BASED ACOUSTIC GUITAR SIMULATION BY MEANS OF ITS IMPULSE RESPONSE (PDF Download Available)

http://users.spa.aalto.fi/mak/PUB/ICMC96_karj-smith.pdf

Dear Platinum/Gold Users

Next week I'll be capturing some goodies for you, that will be on the TAF-Xchange

-4x12 Marshall Basketweave 1965 (Alinco G25's)
-4x10 Jenson Powerd Fender Cab (196o's)
-2x12 JBL Loaded Twin Cab (70's)
-2x12 TwoRock (unsure of Speakers yet) (2 weeks old lol)

For Everyone Else.

Bass Speakers + Presets

-4x10 MarkBass Cab
-2x15 Ampeg Classic
-6x10 Unbranded cab.. (No idea sorry, from the 70's is all I know)
-4x12? Trace Elliot something....

Erm, As you can tell, im a little hazzy on my bass speaker/gear. I know it by look, but no idea on specs!.. as recording bass is mostly DI'd through my gear (specifically my Culture Vulture) and rarely need a bass amp.

Anyway... I'll post pics when it all arrives!..

Its all Cool, All Free.. Presets/Speakers/IR's blah blah, you know the drill by now!

peace
A

Oh As always ,I'll be face-booking things, so head over there and take a peak! : )
search "theampfactory" on facebook
Just curious when you'll finish up and post these on the Platinum Exchange, I'm drooling here! :mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom