Better than Reality - Axe-FX Can Be Like Optimized Reality

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I tend to get slambasted (yea, I made that up) for threads like this; but I need to post this because, well, I'm a sucker for punishment I guess.

Here's some quotes, a link and a post from a different thread to set the context:

javajunkie said:
james... said:
Hear me out on this one. I'm a worship player, so I love the AC30 for clean/dirty sounds. The sparkle and chime is just heavenly. But I use mostly humbucker guitars and I notice that the low end on the top boost is frequently very mushy/hazy/fuzzy and undefined. I'm aware that this is simply a normal part of the amp and to some people, it's a positive aspect. But for me, it's making my clean sound turn to undefined mush.

I've tried the very obvious EQ approach. It doesn't exactly work, because I'm not trying to take away the low end. I just want to change its character.

Maybe some advanced settings would be the fix here?

I use Cliff suggestion with the highpass filter with an envelope attached to the frequency. It gets rid of the low end flub.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10796&p=103037&hilit=filter+envelope#p103037

I finally tried that 'trick' because of (that) thread; and man that's pretty powerful and good. Makes almost anything sit better in a mix. Sort of eye - and ear - opening. Does something very different than any static setting (low pass in the advanced amp block for instance, or just turning down the bass in the amp block or just a high pass without the expression envelope controlling it). Amazing.

You can then turn up the bass in the amp sim, not monkey at all with the advanced tab and it really changes the texture of what you can do in a very powerful yet almost transparent way.

You learn something every day. I've tried it on almost all the different presets I use and have to say I am tempted to run it on all of them; though for different reasons. It just seems to 'unclutter' what you hear.

Just another example of how the Axe-FX is better than reality. You can't do things like this - live and in real time - with an analog physical amp.

Thanks for yet another - very powerful - tool in the tool box.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recall that 'trick' being posted, but I didn't try it. My tones were 'tight' enough IMHO, and I had all sorts of tools at my disposal in my tool box that I already knew and understood to deal with all sorts of EQ things that I'd ever need to address.

In an AC-30 thread, the above was all posted about removing low end using the AC-30TB amp block with humbuckers. Now, my guitars are both single coil and humbuckers (H/S/S) and that's always been an issue for me; I optimize for one or the other and just get on with it.

Back in the day, I used to have a 'secret weapon' called the "Smooth&Slim" from Gil Ayan. He's a well known tone Meister on the Web and essentially the box was a high pass passive filter that you put before Rivera and Fender amps to allow you to turn up the bass on the amp and not flub out. Pretty simple. The Axe-FX has that 'built-in' to the advanced page of the amp block between the preamp and poweramp (low-cut in the advanced tab) or you could easily do a high-pass filter block before the amp to actually replicate the S&S, if you like. Pretty nifty.

Well, if you try Cliff's 'trick' and put it in front of NOT just high-gainers, but in front of Fender type amps (and obviously Vox too, since that was the topic of the other thread) it does the same 'trick' but it changes the texture of the final tone in a very unique way due to the dynamic nature of the envelope controlling the high pass. It's mesmerizing the more you monkey with the amp block after adding it. It allows you to use a H/S/S guitar in all positions without any sort of low end flub when using the Humbuckers; that's incredible. Due to the dynamic (and almost transparent; in that there is no sonic artifacts you can hear using the filter) way it works; you can turn UP the bass in the amp block, skip the static low cut parameter in the advanced amp block, and end up with a similar but more (IMHO) useful and natural end tone/timbre.

Try that trick. Drop it in front of your amp block; and then simply remove any sort of 'low cut' you were using in the amp block and turn UP the bass on the amp EQ. You add warmth, depth and.... THUMP... without any mud almost at all. And it works not just on the high-gainers, but on the mid-gain and low/no-gain amp blocks as well.

It's obviously not essential to use it; but it is indeed yet another very natural and very powerful tool in the tool box to use when and if you need it.

And that, IMHO, is yet another example of why the Axe-FX is better than reality. You just cannot do this with a physical analog amp, cab and guitar. You'd need sophisticated routing and all sorts of processing and tricks. With the Axe-FX, simply create it, drop it in (takes all of 10 seconds with the Beta editor) then copy it to your effects library and you can drop it in your presets at will to try out.

It's so very cool.

Re: Better than Reality - Axe-FX Can Be Like Optimized Reali

I still like tube sound better than the axe-fx, i can still tell the difference, but the difference is about 4% and the flixibility, the permenance, the convenience you mentioned far outweighs the slight sonic loss i hear in the high end.

Its like magic quite frankly.
~mx~

I'm going to call this trick the "slambast filter" from here out!

quonsar said:
I'm going to call this trick the "slambast filter" from here out!
I like it. Just put a slambast filter on my main preset and it's.. good.

Cool, ain't it? :D

Total credit to Cliff for sharing the trick; and Java for suggesting it in the Vox thread for humbuckers... that set off the light in my dim little head. Credit where credit is due.

Very cool indeed! I've been using this for quite a while now on my recto orange preset. I just got around to adding it to my CA3+ and Euro2 presets as well - very nice.

One thing that I find a little odd about it though. It works so well on some presets and not so well on others. That sounds very logical I know - one size doesn't fit all. But one of the presets it doesn't work on for me is my Mark IV sound. It knocks the life out of it. Recto, and others listed above, it just tightens it up nicely. I thought that was strange.

Whoa!

Yep, killer with gainy stuff, but as you say works AMAZINGLY well for Fendery cleans. Too cool!

Thx guys for the heads up.

That's way too cool!!!

I wonder if it will work in lowpass too, to subdue pick attack noise with really bright guitars. (?)

Having quickly tried this on presents with various levels of gain, I think this might be useful enough to be a toggle in the amp block: "slambast filter on/off".

Well.. maybe that's not realistic, but it really is a worthwhile tip. I remember seeing it when Cliff posted it, but only got around to testing it with this thread. Good stuff.

I'm with ya SP...I think the AXE has the ability to be "optimized reality" too...so long as you're willing to spend lots of time tweaking and experimenting (which I am...in fact let's be honest: most players with GAS are really just interested in spending lots of time experimenting with gear to find their optimized reality). I'm becoming so convinced of the AXE's abilities that I'm seriously considering selling off a few of my tube amps :eek:

BTW, I had never before seen that thread from Cliff about the advice on using a Filter patch...but I've been doing that since day one with my Ultra (about 18 months now) and recently was challenged by a "guru" about why I was doing such a thing. I couldn't give a scientific answer for why, my ears just tell me it works...it makes my AXE sound even better than the real-world amp I'm trying to emulate...optimized reality...love it.

+1 to everything said here.

Another good example of axe fx being optimized reality is the FAS amp blocks, which are way underloved. I didn't try them until I heard Mikael Akerfeldt was using them, then I did and I was like "wow". The FAS modern, for example, is basically the perfect all around rock/metal amp. Its not too marshally (squishy, middy), not too buzzy and dull like a recto/5150/other Soldano based amp, but at the same time its not so tight that you can't play it (ENGLs, deizel, fryette) and not so brutal that its only suitable for raging death metal (Bogner Uberschall, Framus Cobra, Fryette Ultra Lead).

If I could get a schem of any of the FAS amps I'd build them and encourage cliff to sell them to all the guys who just won't lose the tubes.

Did some experimenting with the filter trick as well.
It doesn't work out equally well with my presets.

Example: when strumming a chord on my Matchless and Fender presets (clean tones on the edge of breakup), playing middle and high octave notes, the tone changes during (not at the beginning) the strumming. It's very audible that the bass freqs get filtered. Not usable for me this way for sure.

Do you know what, this is a great tip and there are so many others out there from Cliff, Scott, Radley etc... I know the wiki is the place to go for this type of info but I can't help thinking that this forum could do with a Hints and Tips section to help users get the most out of their AxeFX. The wiki is great but this forum is where the people post this information. You could even have a like system so that people can vote on wether a tip helped them out.

Just a thought.

Spence

hsnyder said:
If I could get a schem of any of the FAS amps I'd build them and encourage cliff to sell them to all the guys who just won't lose the tubes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now THAT would be going full circle wouldn´t it!

@Scott Petersson, perhaps a patch if I may suggest? My guess is that you will not get any punishment otherwise... *ehrm* ...oh wait... I mean you will not get ENOUGH punishment until you post one! :lol: :lol:

*hmm*... this didn´t sound straight at all... :? :lol: :lol:

/Mike

Scott, instead of calling this a 'trick', I suggest we call it a 'technique'. ;)

yek said:
Did some experimenting with the filter trick as well.
It doesn't work out equally well with my presets.

Example: when strumming a chord on my Matchless and Fender presets (clean tones on the edge of breakup), playing middle and high octave notes, the tone changes during (not at the beginning) the strumming. It's very audible that the bass freqs get filtered. Not usable for me this way for sure.

Play with the envelope to adjust to your playing style and guitar. Very important.

Basically as Cliff described, all default except Scale and Offset, it looks like my filter is at the top frequency all the time. Except when I'm not playing. :D

I edited the Envelope threshold and release a bit until it was corresponding a bit more to my playing, it still is an erratic movement. I hit a chord, the filter moves up, let the chord die out and suddenly halfway the filter slams down again... fast.
Really couldn't make out much difference either. Just playing, attached an IA to the correct filter, stomped on/off.

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here.

Dutch said:
Basically as Cliff described, all default except Scale and Offset, it looks like my filter is at the top frequency all the time. Except when I'm not playing. :D

I edited the Envelope threshold and release a bit until it was corresponding a bit more to my playing, it still is an erratic movement. I hit a chord, the filter moves up, let the chord die out and suddenly halfway the filter slams down again... fast.
Really couldn't make out much difference either. Just playing, attached an IA to the correct filter, stomped on/off.

That's what you want. When you hit the chord it rolls off the initial attack of lowend, then slams it back down which restores the bass. it just takes some of the lowend off the attack of the note/chord. It is not a fix all for everything. Just in places where things get muddy down low.

hsnyder said:
+1 to everything said here.

Another good example of axe fx being optimized reality is the FAS amp blocks, which are way underloved. I didn't try them until I heard Mikael Akerfeldt was using them, then I did and I was like "wow". The FAS modern, for example, is basically the perfect all around rock/metal amp. Its not too marshally (squishy, middy), not too buzzy and dull like a recto/5150/other Soldano based amp, but at the same time its not so tight that you can't play it (ENGLs, deizel, fryette) and not so brutal that its only suitable for raging death metal (Bogner Uberschall, Framus Cobra, Fryette Ultra Lead).

thanks and good idea

javajunkie said:
Dutch said:

That's what you want. When you hit the chord it rolls off the initial attack of lowend, then slams it back down which restores the bass. it just takes some of the lowend off the attack of the note/chord. It is not a fix all for everything. Just in places where things get muddy down low.
In that case I should adjust it to slam down even earlier? It shouldn't cut bass the whole time I'm playing. Don't need bass on silence. ;)

OK. I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom